Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Supplier question

On Monday, March 11, 2013 8:53:00 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make some flat panels from one square feet to 8 combining wood and glass, kinda Frank Lloyd Wright. He did a lot of interior stuff that were one offers. Room dividers, kitchen/dining areas. I want to make some items with smaller dimensions of wood, say 1" x 4" and smaller. A lot smaller so as to hold pieces of glass into place, slide in a routed channel, and serve as connectors, supports and such. I'm looking for something that 1.) Stays straight 2.) Easy to cut 3.) Fairly dense 4.) Has some kind of a grain and 5.) Doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 6.) They will sell small quantities reasonably. Going to use a lot of routed grooves and square dimensional lumber pieces as construction method. Dowels at intersections with enough wood, routed groove, or brad and glue, even plain glue on small stuff. Thanks. Steve

Use Poplar. Low cost, stable, straight, easy to mill. It is a little soft and has kind of a green\yellow tint but even the lightest staining covers that. It takes all stains and dyes well although it will blotch some if not careful. You can find it everywhere, including Home Depot.