Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Wood Veneer Supplier?

Ok guys, where do you get your exotic and figured wood veneers?
Best place for price, quality, etc.

I typically need 6-8 inch by 48 inches, to go around a cylinder.
(I make drums if you haven't figured it out.)

Thanks!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 3:07*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Ok guys, where do you get your exotic and figured wood veneers?
Best place for price, quality, etc.

I typically need 6-8 inch by 48 inches, to go around a cylinder.
(I make drums if you haven't figured it out.)

Thanks!

I'm really happy with these guys:

http://www.amwoodinc.com/

I don't know if this will work for you, but the US dollar is strong
right now. Also the guys at A&M do a lot business with musical
instrument makers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Ok guys, where do you get your exotic and figured wood veneers?
Best place for price, quality, etc.

I typically need 6-8 inch by 48 inches, to go around a cylinder.
(I make drums if you haven't figured it out.)

Thanks!

Take a look at "Certainly Wood". It's a place about 20 miles outside
Buffalo.

http://www.certainlywood.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 3:07*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Ok guys, where do you get your exotic and figured wood veneers?
Best place for price, quality, etc.

I typically need 6-8 inch by 48 inches, to go around a cylinder.
(I make drums if you haven't figured it out.)

eBay
http://business.shop.ebay.com/items/...Z67236?_npmv=3

This would make a nice drum:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Anigre-qtd-Figur...mZ350147993595

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
I'm really happy with these guys:

http://www.amwoodinc.com/

I don't know if this will work for you, but the US dollar is strong
right now. Also the guys at A&M do a lot business with musical
instrument makers.

Yes, I see they carry a lot of inlay material.
Thanks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

http://www.certainlywood.com/

NICE!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
eBay
http://business.shop.ebay.com/items/...Z67236?_npmv=3

They have some great looking stuff.
The minimum length I would use is about 38" for a 12" snare. I don't
like seems. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

I've purchased veneer from B&B rare woods. They have pictures of each
bundle of veneer so you can browse on-line

http://www.wood-veneers.com/veneer_extra.html

I recall talking with a guy named Dave. Extremely friendly and spent a
lot of time on the phone providing info. It was my first veneer
project so I had a lot of questions. Since I was a rookie, he threw in
some "practice" veneers. I've since ordered several times from them.

You should also search thru the forum at Vacupress. The topic of
veneering cylinders (and veneering just about everything else) has
come up there and you might get some tips..

http://www.vacupress.com/forum/forum...id=3&catlock=1

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.vacupress.com/forum/forum...id=3&catlock=1

Mitch

Thanks for the links.

I think I ran across that vacupress forum (but lost the link),
when I was looking to veneer Bubinga to the 'inside' of a
20" diameter drum hoop. So, thanks again.

BTW, I ended up using a bicycle tire inner tube!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:
Ok guys, where do you get your exotic and figured wood veneers?
Best place for price, quality, etc.

I typically need 6-8 inch by 48 inches, to go around a cylinder.
(I make drums if you haven't figured it out.)

Check out www.aitwood.com/

Last time I was in the place, they were putting a shipment together of
drum mfg supplies for a guy in New Zealand.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Check out www.aitwood.com/

Last time I was in the place, they were putting a shipment together of
drum mfg supplies for a guy in New Zealand.

Lew

Thanks, Lew. I know Anderson.
I can get shells from the same place they get their shells, if I'm using
ply shells.

But I'd rather make them. Stave.
What I'd like to try is steam bending, but I just don't have the room.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've bought and been happy with veneersupplies.com.

Renata

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:07:26 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

Ok guys, where do you get your exotic and figured wood veneers?
Best place for price, quality, etc.

I typically need 6-8 inch by 48 inches, to go around a cylinder.
(I make drums if you haven't figured it out.)

Thanks!

Applying veneer over solid wood pete Woodworking 6 July 16th 06 02:04 PM
How to apply wood veneer? Dee UK diy 6 March 23rd 05 06:02 PM
Wood Veneer contiboard Cicero UK diy 8 July 22nd 04 09:44 PM