Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dog holes

I was watching a NYW video today and Norm was cutting the bench-dog
holes 4-degrees "inward" (toward the vise) so that his wooden dogs
weren't pushed enough toresultantly lose their grip on the work.

I am just curious since it caught me by surprise. Is it
standardprocedure to cut bench holes this way,or just with wooden dogs,
or neither?

P.S. Don't tell my wife I was thinking about getting a dog, or she'll be
all over it!; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

I was watching a NYW video today and Norm was cutting the bench-dog holes
4-degrees "inward" (toward the vise) so that his wooden dogs weren't pushed
enough toresultantly lose their grip on the work.

I am just curious since it caught me by surprise. Is it standard procedure
to cut bench holes this way, or just with wooden dogs, or neither?

That is an "it depends" question... it depends on the type of dog. Hold
fasts and most dogs do not need angled holes but those like Norm made would
benefit from them.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message ...

I was watching a NYW video today and Norm was cutting the bench-dog
holes 4-degrees "inward" (toward the vise) so that his wooden dogs
weren't pushed enough toresultantly lose their grip on the work.

I am just curious since it caught me by surprise. Is it standard
procedure to cut bench holes this way, or just with wooden dogs, or
neither?

That is an "it depends" question... it depends on the type of dog.
Hold fasts and most dogs do not need angled holes but those like Norm
made would benefit from them.

Thank you for your reply. I'll take a closer look at those he was using

Bill

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2013 7:59 PM, Bill wrote:
I was watching a NYW video today and Norm was cutting the bench-dog
holes 4-degrees "inward" (toward the vise) so that his wooden dogs
weren't pushed enough toresultantly lose their grip on the work.

I am just curious since it caught me by surprise. Is it
standardprocedure to cut bench holes this way,or just with wooden dogs,
or neither?

P.S. Don't tell my wife I was thinking about getting a dog, or she'll be
all over it!; )

Bill

Mine are drilled straight since they are round holes.
I use both Veritas dogs and pups which has an angle already in the hold
down, and I use home made stops for various things. The require straight
.. I also use gramercy holdfasts, which work better with a straight hole.

If I had square dogs they would be at an angle... probably less than 4
though.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

It depends on the table top's thickness, also. The thicker the top, the more vertical the hole can be. Tops less than 1 1/2" thick would likely require some angling, either the hole or the dog. If a bench is made with two 3/4" sheets of ply, another 6" wide strip, under neath, would make it thicker along the line of holes.

The function of holdfasts, particularly, are dependant on hole size and thickness of table..... as well as the holdfast's *angle.

On a side note: A few weeks back, I thought to try to make my own holdfasts, so I did a little research about them. I wondered how I could properly heat my rods, for bending, etc., without having a welder's torch.

Just so happens, this past weekend, I was given permission to go visit an old abandon saw mill and was allowed to collect whatever relics I thought of interest. I was specifically looking for a saw blade, for my shop's decor.. I picked up an old Buffalo forge. Looks in pretty bad shape, but I'll see if I can get it operating, something maybe fun to mess with, rather than fixing for long term use.

The mill was originally started by my aunt's husband and his brother (1920s or so), so a token of that past family history is there. The place was all grown up with weeds, vines, shrubs, trees, etc. I spent about 4 hours walking around, looking at all the old decaying buildings, about 10-12, and imagined what all took place in each, like which one had the still in it, judging from all the whiskey and wine bottles in one area, and, knowing my uncle's family was Baptist, had a thought of (when the milling was slow), "Hey Bubba, lets go to the mill and saw some wood!"

It was a nice day's get-away.

Sonny

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 11, 2013 6:59:05 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
I was watching a NYW video today and Norm was cutting the bench-dog

holes 4-degrees "inward" (toward the vise) so that his wooden dogs

weren't pushed enough toresultantly lose their grip on the work.

I am just curious since it caught me by surprise. Is it

standardprocedure to cut bench holes this way,or just with wooden dogs,

or neither?

P.S. Don't tell my wife I was thinking about getting a dog, or she'll be

all over it!; )

Bill

I made my own tapered dogs on the lathe. Tap them into the conventional hole with the but of my hand and they stay put. Usually come right back out with tug or a nudge to the side. Being wood, they are less likely to mar an edge.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote the following on 3/11/2013 7:59 PM (ET):
I was watching a NYW video today and Norm was cutting the bench-dog
holes 4-degrees "inward" (toward the vise) so that his wooden dogs
weren't pushed enough toresultantly lose their grip on the work.

I am just curious since it caught me by surprise. Is it
standardprocedure to cut bench holes this way,or just with wooden dogs,
or neither?

P.S. Don't tell my wife I was thinking about getting a dog, or she'll be
all over it!; )

Bill

I thought you were going to ask how to stop a dog from digging in the
yard. :-)

I was a Metalsmith in the US Navy back in the late 1950s. I only dealt
with steel dogs.
The holes in the steel table were round and the steel dogs were bent,
sort of like the number "7". The dogs were inserted in the hole and onto
the work, then tapped down with a hammer to clamp the work.
The difference in wooden dogs rather than steels dogs is the hole is
angled rather than the dog itself.

pic of shop. Note the dogs on the rail below the tabletop and one in use
on the table.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...full-exif=true
Or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/czjke3h

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote in
:

I thought you were going to ask how to stop a dog from digging in the
yard. :-)

I was a Metalsmith in the US Navy back in the late 1950s. I only dealt
with steel dogs.
The holes in the steel table were round and the steel dogs were bent,
sort of like the number "7". The dogs were inserted in the hole and
onto the work, then tapped down with a hammer to clamp the work.
The difference in wooden dogs rather than steels dogs is the hole is
angled rather than the dog itself.

pic of shop. Note the dogs on the rail below the tabletop and one in
use on the table.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...5tNtRoYS1luOVt
jHdVwQiWec?feat=directlink&full-exif=true Or:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/czjke3h

Those sound like "hold fasts." A picture and description can be found at
(this was a quick image search):
http://toolsforworkingwood.com/store...MS-HOLDFAST.XX

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote the following on 3/14/2013 10:56 AM (ET):
[...]

Sorry, wrong link.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink
or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/cgeepz4

holes? April May Home Repair 0 March 16th 08 04:13 AM
Holes Boru[_2_] Woodturning 17 November 29th 07 03:10 AM
Dog holes need to be 2º? AAvK Woodworking 10 September 25th 05 07:12 PM
Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes Tom Gardner Metalworking 10 November 29th 04 08:37 AM
Holes John UK diy 8 August 4th 03 12:01 AM