Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Dog holes

"Bill" wrote in message ...

I was watching a NYW video today and Norm was cutting the bench-dog holes
4-degrees "inward" (toward the vise) so that his wooden dogs weren't pushed
enough toresultantly lose their grip on the work.

I am just curious since it caught me by surprise. Is it standard procedure
to cut bench holes this way, or just with wooden dogs, or neither?

That is an "it depends" question... it depends on the type of dog. Hold
fasts and most dogs do not need angled holes but those like Norm made would
benefit from them.

John