Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Dog holes

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message ...

I was watching a NYW video today and Norm was cutting the bench-dog
holes 4-degrees "inward" (toward the vise) so that his wooden dogs
weren't pushed enough toresultantly lose their grip on the work.

I am just curious since it caught me by surprise. Is it standard
procedure to cut bench holes this way, or just with wooden dogs, or
neither?

That is an "it depends" question... it depends on the type of dog.
Hold fasts and most dogs do not need angled holes but those like Norm
made would benefit from them.

Thank you for your reply. I'll take a closer look at those he was using

Bill

John