Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF 4 1/2" Grinder

Another good deal post...

I picked up another HF 4 1/2" angle grinder at the tent sale. $10.00.
Between my son and I we have a few of this particular model, and they just
don't seem to die. I also have a couple of the next model up, and I have
put them through pure hell doing body work, metal fab, etc. They just keep
working. As cheap as they are, if they do go tits up, it's cheap to replace
them. With more than one on hand, I'm not even really inconvenienced if one
pukes.

An angle grinder isn't a very mystical tool - it just goes round and round,
and occaisionally bites your finger a bit. You just can't go wrong with
these. Sometimes it pays to have a backup on hand with cheap tools. Hell -
my old SnapOn grinder left me wishing I had a backup on hand, so it's not
just true of cheap tools.

The one I picked up the other day was to put my wire cup on. I have one
with a grinding wheel, one with a cut-off wheel, and this one with the wire
cup on it. Saves having to change over. I use my cut-off tool much more
than I use my angle grinder with the cut-off wheel, but when I do want the 4
1/2" dude, it's there and ready to go.

Cheap makes it easier to justify buying a-nother.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2013 3:46 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 20:58:25 -0700, MaxD wrote:

[...]

I've used their 36 grit, fiberglass-reinforced grinding discs (for
metal) and 120 grit flap sanding discs (for metal rust and wood.) They
work fine and last well. I also use their 4" cutoff wheels with a
mandrel in my die grinder for tool steel and hardened metals. They,
too, work well.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.woodworking

MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

I used a passel of abrasive wheels to cut a stack of ceramic tiles. For some
reason, a standard tile cutter absolutely refused to cut these particular
tiles without shattering them into many pieces.

Anyway, aside from making a bunch of dust and having to replace the wheel
about every ten tiles, all went as expected. For your project, the wheels
are probably cheap enough to experiment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MaxD wrote:
[...]

Yes I do. The 4" and 4 1/2" grinder wheels work very well. The 3" cutoff
wheels work very well also. The 4" and 4 1/2" cutoff wheels wear very
quickly, but they do cut well - you will just go through them faster than
you will the 3" wheels. If I had to work without them, and simply resort to
my 3" cutoff tool, it would not kill me.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

I used a passel of abrasive wheels to cut a stack of ceramic tiles.
For some reason, a standard tile cutter absolutely refused to cut
these particular tiles without shattering them into many pieces.

Anyway, aside from making a bunch of dust and having to replace the
wheel about every ten tiles, all went as expected. For your project,
the wheels are probably cheap enough to experiment.

What size wheels were you using? Were they the cutoff wheels?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2013 11:28 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 20:58:25 -0700, MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

I've used their 36 grit, fiberglass-reinforced grinding discs (for
metal) and 120 grit flap sanding discs (for metal rust and wood.) They
work fine and last well. I also use their 4" cutoff wheels with a
mandrel in my die grinder for tool steel and hardened metals. They,
too, work well.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Support the 2nd Amendment

I appreciate your input but coming from an HF fan I take it advisedly. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2013 6:05 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

Yes I do. The 4" and 4 1/2" grinder wheels work very well. The 3" cutoff
wheels work very well also. The 4" and 4 1/2" cutoff wheels wear very
quickly, but they do cut well - you will just go through them faster than
you will the 3" wheels. If I had to work without them, and simply resort to
my 3" cutoff tool, it would not kill me.

I've been using DeWalt brand but I do quite a bit of metal work and
could use a brand that treats my budget a little more kindly.
I'll pick up an assortment of HF wheels soon.
Thanks.

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

Yes I do. The 4" and 4 1/2" grinder wheels work very well. The 3"
cutoff
wheels work very well also. The 4" and 4 1/2" cutoff wheels wear very
quickly, but they do cut well - you will just go through them faster than
you will the 3" wheels. If I had to work without them, and simply
resort to
my 3" cutoff tool, it would not kill me.

I've been using DeWalt brand but I do quite a bit of metal work and
could use a brand that treats my budget a little more kindly.
I'll pick up an assortment of HF wheels soon.
Thanks.

Max

Recent project (the fence)
http://tinyurl.com/a3m79e6

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

Yes I do. The 4" and 4 1/2" grinder wheels work very well. The 3"
cutoff wheels work very well also. The 4" and 4 1/2" cutoff wheels
wear very quickly, but they do cut well - you will just go through
them faster than you will the 3" wheels. If I had to work without
them, and simply resort to my 3" cutoff tool, it would not kill me.

I've been using DeWalt brand but I do quite a bit of metal work and
could use a brand that treats my budget a little more kindly.
I'll pick up an assortment of HF wheels soon.
Thanks.

That's my situation - I do a lot of metal work of all sorts. I have bought
cutoff wheels and grinder wheels from my local welding supply shop and to be
honest - they do last longer... but not enough so to offset the cost
difference. It's really marginally longer. So - I go with the cost savings
and the extremely minor inconvenience of changing a bit sooner.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

MaxD wrote:

Recent project (the fence)
http://tinyurl.com/a3m79e6

Nice work! Obvious a very tedious job.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

I used a passel of abrasive wheels to cut a stack of ceramic tiles.
For some reason, a standard tile cutter absolutely refused to cut
these particular tiles without shattering them into many pieces.

Anyway, aside from making a bunch of dust and having to replace the
wheel about every ten tiles, all went as expected. For your project,
the wheels are probably cheap enough to experiment.

What size wheels were you using? Were they the cutoff wheels?

Standard 4.5". They were marked "Masonary" - I guess they were cut-off
wheels...

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they
perform?

I used a passel of abrasive wheels to cut a stack of ceramic tiles.
For some reason, a standard tile cutter absolutely refused to cut
these particular tiles without shattering them into many pieces.

Anyway, aside from making a bunch of dust and having to replace the
wheel about every ten tiles, all went as expected. For your project,
the wheels are probably cheap enough to experiment.

What size wheels were you using? Were they the cutoff wheels?

Standard 4.5". They were marked "Masonary" - I guess they were cut-off
wheels...

Ok - never used those. You just got me curious when you said you went
through them quickly. Maybe that's just the nature of a masonry wheel. I
try to avoid masonry...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree - I went through 10 of the grinding disks on a job I was working
on with AR400 and AR500. It wasn't a lot of grinding but the
resistance was tough. I was taking off points and angled cuts to be
square. I plan on getting more. I think I'll get a Norton or two
to have and another 10 from HF.

The best I ever got were at Home Depot and were Norton US. Next came
the Japanese. And the last were from HF. They cost the least and worked
well enough for the price. Best were Norton but were expensive.

Martin

MaxD wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

What size wheels were you using? Were they the cutoff wheels?

Standard 4.5". They were marked "Masonary" - I guess they were
cut-off wheels...

Ok - never used those. You just got me curious when you said you went
through them quickly. Maybe that's just the nature of a masonry
wheel. I try to avoid masonry...

I didn't say I went through them "quickly." One wheel for every ten tiles
didn't SEEM excessive.

And, since these were "used" tiles (free from Craigslist) I used the same
wheels to remove the quickset from the backs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 17:46:17 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

[...]

Here's a neat little 4" carving disk to go on that new grinder:

http://www.harborfreight.com/22-toot...disc-7697.html

And at $28 w/20% off coupon, it's almsot half the price Woodcraft is asking for
the exact same item.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...-58-arbor.aspx

Who says HF only sells cheap Chinese made crap? ;-)

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/prod...rand=304177429

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That's a lancelot.. that's a well made cutter. and made in the US...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep. And it can be resharpened with a regular 5/32" round chainsaw file. Unlike
the turbo expensive ($164) Arbortech Turbo Plane:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...rbo-plane.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote:

Here's a neat little 4" carving disk to go on that new grinder:

http://www.harborfreight.com/22-toot...disc-7697.html

And at $28 w/20% off coupon, it's almsot half the price Woodcraft is
asking for the exact same item.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...-58-arbor.aspx

Who says HF only sells cheap Chinese made crap? ;-)

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/prod...rand=304177429

I've seen those, but I never bought one. You could do a piece of work with
that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2013 11:49 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Who says HF only sells cheap Chinese made crap? ;-)

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/prod...rand=304177429

I've seen those, but I never bought one. You could do a piece of work with
that.

Anyone seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre?g

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

But, but, but... the Woodcrafter's offering just HAS to be better than the
Harbor Freight equivalent because... it COSTS more and because...., well,
just because!

The True Believer would offer that the Harbor Freight model is really from
the 'factory reject' bin. Must be, because it's half the price of the
quality choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have learned that by just letting a new wheel run for a minute at full
speed under no load that they will last a bit longer on a 12 ' cutoff going
thru 2x6x1/4 we were able to get 10 more cuts per wheel. seem to run true
with the 4 " cutoff wheels also. so its it worth a minute of your time or
are the wheels cheaper.

"MaxD" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2013 1:32 AM, Marty Giblin wrote:
I have learned that by just letting a new wheel run for a minute at full
speed under no load that they will last a bit longer on a 12 ' cutoff going
thru 2x6x1/4 we were able to get 10 more cuts per wheel. seem to run true
with the 4 " cutoff wheels also. so its it worth a minute of your time or
are the wheels cheaper.

Care to explain that???
It makes no sense. They don't need to come to an equilibrium.

--
Jeff