Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF 4 1/2" Grinder

I agree - I went through 10 of the grinding disks on a job I was working
on with AR400 and AR500. It wasn't a lot of grinding but the
resistance was tough. I was taking off points and angled cuts to be
square. I plan on getting more. I think I'll get a Norton or two
to have and another 10 from HF.

The best I ever got were at Home Depot and were Norton US. Next came
the Japanese. And the last were from HF. They cost the least and worked
well enough for the price. Best were Norton but were expensive.

Martin

On 3/10/2013 12:01 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
MaxD wrote:
On 3/10/2013 6:05 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
MaxD wrote:

Do you use the HF abrasive wheels? If so, how well do they perform?

Yes I do. The 4" and 4 1/2" grinder wheels work very well. The 3"
cutoff wheels work very well also. The 4" and 4 1/2" cutoff wheels
wear very quickly, but they do cut well - you will just go through
them faster than you will the 3" wheels. If I had to work without
them, and simply resort to my 3" cutoff tool, it would not kill me.

I've been using DeWalt brand but I do quite a bit of metal work and
could use a brand that treats my budget a little more kindly.
I'll pick up an assortment of HF wheels soon.
Thanks.

That's my situation - I do a lot of metal work of all sorts. I have bought
cutoff wheels and grinder wheels from my local welding supply shop and to be
honest - they do last longer... but not enough so to offset the cost
difference. It's really marginally longer. So - I go with the cost savings
and the extremely minor inconvenience of changing a bit sooner.