Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

Default M14-2 right angle grinder arbor. Where to get wheels 7"-9"

I just got a deal on ebay. Bought a huge 22 amp bosch angle grinder with a
cut cord. Repaird the cord and it works great. I have never used an angle
grinder this big. Problem is: bosch tells me it was sold across the pond
(UK) and no parts or info is available. No problem, I just need wire cups
and grinding wheels for it. I have fabricated a spanner wrench for it and
can now mount 7/8" hole wheels, which nobody here stocks but can order. I
see Grainger has some cup wheels that are multi-fit 5/8-11 or M14-2 so that
may work for that. Does anyone know of any other sources for wheels/ cup
brushes? Ebay did not turn up anything. Can anyone across the water give a
name of a supplier? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Lyndell ( Louisville KY
area)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:53:17 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

I just got a deal on ebay. Bought a huge 22 amp bosch angle grinder with a
cut cord. Repaird the cord and it works great. I have never used an angle
grinder this big. Problem is: bosch tells me it was sold across the pond
(UK) and no parts or info is available. No problem, I just need wire cups
and grinding wheels for it. I have fabricated a spanner wrench for it and
can now mount 7/8" hole wheels, which nobody here stocks but can order. I
see Grainger has some cup wheels that are multi-fit 5/8-11 or M14-2 so that
may work for that. Does anyone know of any other sources for wheels/ cup
brushes? Ebay did not turn up anything. Can anyone across the water give a
name of a supplier? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Lyndell ( Louisville KY
area)

www.ohiobrush.com

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeorgeD

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
I just got a deal on ebay. Bought a huge 22 amp bosch angle grinder with a
cut cord. Repaird the cord and it works great. I have never used an angle
grinder this big. Problem is: bosch tells me it was sold across the pond
(UK) and no parts or info is available. No problem, I just need wire cups
and grinding wheels for it. I have fabricated a spanner wrench for it and
can now mount 7/8" hole wheels, which nobody here stocks but can order. I
see Grainger has some cup wheels that are multi-fit 5/8-11 or M14-2 so that
may work for that. Does anyone know of any other sources for wheels/ cup
brushes? Ebay did not turn up anything. Can anyone across the water give a
name of a supplier? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Lyndell ( Louisville KY
area)

Is the voltage and frequency correct for use here? The England uses
240V at 50 Hz.

Regards,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Lyndell Thompson writes:

No problem, I just need wire cups and grinding wheels for it.

An adapter to 5/8-11 would seem to be in order.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The older Bosch grinders were metric- I cant believe they no longer
stock the metric lock nuts for holding on a wheel.

The Bosch grinders are all set up for hubless grinding wheels- which is
not to say you cant use one with a threaded insert, but any standard
hubless grinding or sanding disc will work with one if you have a pair
of the locknuts.

If you really cant find any from Bosch, email me and I will dig around-
I think I have some for 4 1/2" Bosch Grinders, which I believe will fit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

"GeorgeD" wrote in message
Lyndell Thompson wrote:
[...]

Yes it is. I am confused by this also. Bosch customer service assured me
this grinder was sold in Great Britain. It is a heavy beast and has ship
anchors drawn on it. Maybe it was used at a ship building yard and used 115v
welder/generator power. Anyway it is labled 115v-60 hz and does not
elaborate whether ac or dc. It works well on ac.
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Lyndell Thompson writes:

No problem, I just need wire cups and grinding wheels for it.

An adapter to 5/8-11 would seem to be in order.

I thought about this also. Can't find them either. They would be paper
thin, like a helicoil, cuz 14mm is just a shade smaller than 5/8".
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

wrote in message
oups.com...

The older Bosch grinders were metric- I cant believe they no longer
stock the metric lock nuts for holding on a wheel.

The Bosch grinders are all set up for hubless grinding wheels- which is
not to say you cant use one with a threaded insert, but any standard
hubless grinding or sanding disc will work with one if you have a pair
of the locknuts.

If you really cant find any from Bosch, email me and I will dig around-
I think I have some for 4 1/2" Bosch Grinders, which I believe will fit.

I have what came with the grinder as far as the hub. It is ok and will let
me use 7/8" hole wheels. No one stocks these in my area. I think I would
like the convienience of being able to spin off a wheel and then spin on cup
brush without fear of losing a hub nut. It is not something I have to have.
Thanks!
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I don't see anything on their website, but I emailed them.
Lyndell

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
[...]

I have yet to see 60hz dc
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

www.ohiobrush.com

Thanks, I don't see anything on their website, but I emailed them.
Lyndell

I just woke up from my nap and sent a reply. Gunner will be getting his
commission check...again!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to Lyndell Thompson :

Yes it is. I am confused by this also. Bosch customer service assured me
this grinder was sold in Great Britain. It is a heavy beast and has ship
anchors drawn on it. Maybe it was used at a ship building yard and used
115v
welder/generator power. Anyway it is labled 115v-60 hz and does not
elaborate whether ac or dc. It works well on ac.

Well ... the 60 Hz does make it AC by its very nature. DC
would have to be 0 Hz only. :-)

However, if it is a universal motor (that is -- with brushes),
it should work well on DC as well.

Ok thanks, that clears that up. Bosch did send me a parts breakdown and yes
it has brushes. I will look closer at the nametag in the AM. I am pretty
sure it referenced HZ. It is double insulated (2-prong plug) with a square
inside a square emblem on the parts breakdown.
Lyndell

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Lyndell Thompson writes:

I thought about this also. Can't find them either.

I just assumed you'd make a hat-shaped item on your lathe, this being a
metalworking newsgroup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 13 May 2006 02:30:12 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

www.ohiobrush.com

Thanks, I don't see anything on their website, but I emailed them.
Lyndell

I just woke up from my nap and sent a reply. Gunner will be getting his
commission check...again!

Send more brushes G

Lol. Though I do have to stock up on angle grinder brushes again..when
that **** stole my angle grinders (and other stuff)..she got me for
all the flap wheels, etc etc that were on the same shelf as the three
4" grinders. Id managed to scrounge about 15 brand new flap wheels
from a customer that had stopped doing welding in house.

Shrug. Ill send off the rest of those linear ways and some ball
screws first though. Ive still got to buy some more of the HF orange
grinders before I need brushes..sigh

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
[...]

I stand corrected Gerry! I was looking at the model # where there was a 60.
There is a HZ box on the nameplate and it has a tildi ~ I take it,
that means ac/dc universal. What say ye!
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
Lyndell Thompson writes:

I thought about this also. Can't find them either.

I just assumed you'd make a hat-shaped item on your lathe, this being a
metalworking newsgroup.

I thought so too until I found these guys. Oh I forgot I don't own a lathe.
Lots of welding on equipment etc. , even repaired some bulldozer tracks one
time, but no lathe yet. :-)
Lyndell

Here tis the website if anyone ever needs one of these.
http://www.abrasives4sale.com/mm5/me...ategory_Code=r

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 14 May 2006 03:38:54 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

Yes it is. I am confused by this also. Bosch customer service assured me
this grinder was sold in Great Britain. It is a heavy beast and has ship
anchors drawn on it. Maybe it was used at a ship building yard and used
115v
welder/generator power. Anyway it is labled 115v-60 hz and does not
elaborate whether ac or dc. It works well on ac.
Lyndell

I have yet to see 60hz dc
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I stand corrected Gerry! I was looking at the model # where there was a 60.
There is a HZ box on the nameplate and it has a tildi ~ I take it,
that means ac/dc universal. What say ye!
Lyndell

Brushes have been mentioned, which tends to indicate AC/DC universal.
I don't recall having come across a source of DC at ~120 V.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No one stocks 7/8" hole wheels?
thats mighty wierd- up here in the pacific northwest, thats about all
anybody uses- every welding supply and industrial supplier has tons of
em.

Of course, Enco, MSC, Grainger, and Mcmaster Carr all carry them.

Personally, I buy a lot of that kind of stuff direct from Klingspor
Abrasives, I buy 20 flap discs at a time, and they are all 7/8" hub.
You usually pay a buck or so extra per wheel for the convenience of a
threaded hub.