Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

On 2/23/2013 8:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

What is it with calling all things improvised "white trash
repairs"? If it looks stupid but works - it tain't stupid.

I used to be referred to as Polish Engineering but that's not
Politically Correct so a group of folks who don't care had to
be chosen to take responsibility for all bizarre and stupid constructs.

It started in the '70s with that memo about it being wrong to say
something was 'Afro Engineered'. Some day, all of the rednecks will
decide they've had enough and there will be hell to pay. 'Riled-up
rednecks on a rampage!

With Afro Engineered being the PC version of N----- Rigged.

I grew up with jerry-rigged or jury-rigged, depending on who said it.

Some sources say that jury-rigged is a *******ized version of jerry-rigged
with "jerry" referring to the ways the Germans were often forced to
improvise as they were losing the war and couldn't get supplies.

Solders of any nation have always been notorious at hacking together
solutions to problems in times of war. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2013 8:08 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Make sure you're sitting down when you visit their DIY repair site:

http://whitetrashrepairs.com/

The problem is, I've seen and had to deal with those kind of things for
real. ^_^

Check it out. You haven't seen every possible stupid repair, YET!
;-) You'll be glad you didn't have to clean up most of them.

Of course not, I'd never be so arrogant to claim I've seen everything but
I'm confident I've seen TOO much. I
know I'll never live long enough to see EVERYTHING. ^_^

TDD

I'm not going to waste whatever time I have left on this earth viewing 1167
images of sloppy repair work.

Too many are burned into my memory. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Really, I promise, I'll keep it simple from now on, right outta
Strunk'n'White.....
--
EA

The teacher of my very bright and ambitious high school English class
cautioned us not to write like e.e.cummings unless we WERE
e.e.cummings. She reminded us that Picasso had mastered the classical
painting style before developing his own.
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/p/picasso/self1.jpg
http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/...arly-Work.html

The only exception she tolerated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(composer)

Yep. And many early music groups had advanced degrees in music (The
Limelighters, etc.).

Many? Please.....
You'd be hardpressed to find rock'n'rollers with ANY degrees in ANYthing,
much less in music per se. I'll bet that 50% of rock'n'rollers didn't
graduate HS. An ADVANCED degree?? ie, MS, PhD?? Are you KIDDING????

If I'm wrong, I"d enjoy hearing your cites.
And the irony to that is we then have to listen to GED bull**** philosophies
on love and life, recorded for all of eternity, for the rest of our
miserable lives.

Speaking of which, Jim Morrison (Doors) *did* finagle a degree in
theatre/fine arts, and was widely read in philosophy.
YET, the sum total of the cultural impact of the Doors was this:
Every post-pubescent female in the USA, Japan, and Germany were dreaming
of, vying to fellate Jim Morrison.
If you don't believe me, conduct your own poll. Get your wife drunk, and
ask her.... Mine still denies it, but I know she's lyin.... lol
Well, mebbe not.... but Engelbert Humperdink, f'sure f'sure.... lol
Heh, and proly 25% of the male population dreamed of fellating Morrison, as
well.... lol

A few instrumentalists studied formally, for a while, but few actually
graduated, as the demands of performing (at least for the really talented)
prevailed. Examples are Al Hirt (Green Hornet theme, one of THE virtuoso
displays in trumpeting), Jacques Loussier (Play Bach, stunning rendition of
Vivaldi's Four Seasons).

But formal study was rare in rock'n'roll. I mean, really, yer playin
I-IV-V, I-IV-VI all fukn day long..... what's to study???? Alvin Lee (Ten
Years After) I don't think ever even changed key.

Billy Joel was classically trained in piano, as was Elton John, but neither,
to my knowledge, had music degrees.
Jeff Goldblum, in his clown role replacement of Vincent D'Onofrio in
LawnOrder, is apparently quite the accomplished jazz pianist, but not
formally trained.

That Jacques Loussier, Al Hirt et al did not gradurate is of course moot.
My point being, mostly, that you and Jim Wilkins may have a pernt, but you
shouldn't OVERstate your case..

And Al Hirt could blow that pompous academic wannabe Wynton Marsalis clear
out of Lincoln Center, into New Jersey.....

Billy Joel, btw, has a brilliant command of the "rock'n'roll" lexicon. In a
recent and lengthy interview on NPR/WNYC, at a piano, he could bang out, at
will, it seemed, the full arrangement of a wide variety of tunes, seemingly
impromptu.

I'm sure some in the Moody Blues were classically trained, but proly didn't
obtain degrees.

And Louis Armstrong could barely read music. Go figger.

Ultimately, talent is talent. Can trad'l/formal education tweak it? Sure.
But apparently, it's not necessary. Esp. if the bulk of your repertoire is
I-IV-V chords, fergodsakes....

But back to Jim Wilkins:
I didn't know I wrote like e.e. cummings..... Thank you -- I coulda did
worse, eh?
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

its presidential engineered nowg

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Feb 22, 8:52*am, Norminn wrote:
clipped

The manufacturers have solved the countertop problem with granite -
robust and hides crumbs. But, they really need to work on finding a
surface for appliances. *Probably find some aerospace material works,
like carbon composite with laminated granite?

The Chinese have solved the problem for appliances...plastic, engineered
to not last long enough to get dirty. *Last time I went shopping, I
tried to find something NOT made in China...all I could come up with was
a picture frame made in Mexico.

LOL! You are correct! I just bought a 900W microwave from Walmart
[made in China] for around $46. I have not had to clean the buttons
yet, because ...yes, the plastic coating has deteriorated and looks
like I ran a soldering iron over them.At first, I thought this was a
protective plastic sheet that I had neglected to remove and was
supposed to be removed. Guess not.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Feb 22, 9:55*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
...snip....

BRAIN EXERCISES

If you can read this OUT LOUD, you have a strong mind. And better than that:
Alzheimer's is a long, long, way down the road before it ever gets anywhere
near you.

If you can read the following paragraph, forward it to your friends and the
person who sent it to you with 'Yes' in the subject line. Only very good
minds can read this. This is weird, but interesting!

7H15 M3554G3
53RV35 7O PR0V3
H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N
D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5!
1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5!
1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG
17 WA5 H4RD BU7
N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3
Y0UR M1ND 1S
R34D1NG 17
4U70M471C4LLY
W17H 0U7 3V3N
7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17,
B3 PROUD! 0NLY
C3R741N P30PL3 C4N
R3AD 7H15.
PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F
U C4N R34D 7H15.

If you can read this, you are one of the 55 people out of 100 who can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the
olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a
pboerlm. This is bcuseaethe huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef,
but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was
ipmorantt! If you can raed this forwrad it

...snip...

The worst part of rading that message is that as you read it, it
actually starts to become looking 'normal' and speed of reading picks
up!

Communication only needs to be unique. Conculsion is reinforced by the
experiences of meeting a wheelchair stricken man when we moved into
our flat. MS? or something as debilitating. He greeted my "Good
morning" to him with an unintelligible response of high pitched vowels
only. His attending care provider 'interpreted' what he said. Within a
year of continually seeing this gentleman in the lift and conversing
briefly; I could actually hold a conversation discussing weather,
events, etc. without the need of interpretation from his attending
care provider. Learned a lot from thse interactions.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 03:29:36 -0600, The Daring Dufas

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 22 Feb 2013
22:21:23 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Do you vist: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com

I haven't been to that site before but there are all kinds of "The
People of Walmart" videos out there even some songs. ^_^

There are probably a thousand pictures of the strange being that
inhabit the dark isles of WalMart stores on that site. Don't blame me
if you spend a whole day asking yourself, WTH?

One more reason I don't go there.

Make sure you're sitting down when you visit their DIY repair site:

http://whitetrashrepairs.com/

What is it with calling all things improvised "white trash
repairs"? If it looks stupid but works - it tain't stupid.

I used to be referred to as Polish Engineering but that's not
Politically Correct so a group of folks who don't care had to
be chosen to take responsibility for all bizarre and stupid constructs.

Nah, it's not an issue of PC. Regard for the Poles has climbed
steadily with the descent of Western Europe, particularly France and
the UK, into thirdworldism.

White Trash is such a group of people and it may not be widely known
but February is White Trash Month and has been for many years since
it's the shortest month and WT has always gotten to short end of the
stick. The White Trash month celebrations going on at trailer parks
across the nation have been quite entertaining for the participants
this year. ^_^

Hmm, White Trash Month and Black History Month all at once? Oh, the
irony!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 04:33:14 -0600, The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

They live in trailer parks, because they aren't minorities who can
get subsidized housing.

Oh I know plenty of WT on the government dole. Most people refuse to
believe that Caucasian females account for the greatest number of
welfare recipients. It used to be that they would stay on welfare until
they could get back on their feet but from what I've seen, they will now
accept it as a way of life. O_o

How can they get on their feet when their feet are always in the air?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Fourth or even fifth generation in some families. Sad, but true. I
don't see it much anymore, but back in the '60 & '70s I did TV repair
and saw a lot of disgusting things. Did you ever run a service call in
a whorehouse? The place reeked, and everyone there looked like death
warmed over.

I ran TV service calls back in the 70's but here in the Bible Belt, a
whorehouse was something hidden and only available to the well-heeled
and politicians. Of course I had to bug bomb some TV sets outside the
shop to keep roaches off the bench and had to explain to a number of
folks that their cherished Sony TV should have been unplugged, hosed
out and allowed to dry after their kid spilled milk into it and brought
into the shop immediately, not a week later.

The nastiest TV service call ever? A tube type consolethat the slobs
had tossed used diapers behind, until it blocked all of the vents and it
died. It had to be pried out of that mess, then the manufacturer of the
set had to explain to the morons that it was not covered by the
warranty.

My Dog, I swear I've been
a witness to "The Dumbassification of America" over the past half
century and it's getting worse. I run service calls in retail stores
and my favorite is the Ann Taylor stores where I find the funniest
things wrong with equipment. The gals working there invariably nice but
I find things unplugged or network gear with stuff piled on it as though
it were a shelf causing it to overheat or knocking the wires out.

I see that in homes, as well. People used to bitch about Commodore
64 computer power supplies failing, then you find them under piles of
newspaper and other junk, instead of out where they can radiate exces
heat. There was a reason for the fins molded into the case.

I often have to explain to the manager that nothing should be leaned up
against the telephone backboard and the equipment closet containing any
network, phone equipment or electrical panels is not a storage space. O_o

Copy & enlarge the section of the NEC about clear space around
breaker boxes. It MIGHT help. A little. Oh, well.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

What is it with calling all things improvised "white trash
repairs"? If it looks stupid but works - it tain't stupid.

I used to be referred to as Polish Engineering but that's not
Politically Correct so a group of folks who don't care had to
be chosen to take responsibility for all bizarre and stupid constructs.

It started in the '70s with that memo about it being wrong to say
something was 'Afro Engineered'. Some day, all of the rednecks will
decide they've had enough and there will be hell to pay. 'Riled-up
rednecks on a rampage!

With Afro Engineered being the PC version of N----- Rigged.

We had an 'Afro Engineer' at the AFRTS TV station in Alaska.
Anything he touched turned to crap, and the only thing he was good at
was drinking his month's pay in under a week.

I grew up with jerry-rigged or jury-rigged, depending on who said it.

Some sources say that jury-rigged is a *******ized version of jerry-rigged
with "jerry" referring to the ways the Germans were often forced to
improvise as they were losing the war and couldn't get supplies.

I've improvised & made parts that weren't available. That includes a
TV tuner for a piece of broadcast equipment. The only tools I had were
a few hand tools and a soldering iron.

It really hit the fan when someone told one of the Army cooks that
they were renaming the mess hall to 'Ptomaine Hall'. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

What did you expect for $46? Membrane switches won't take abuse, and
that includes constantly poking them with sharp fingernails or a
utensil.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 2/22/2013 10:11 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Really, I promise, I'll keep it simple from now on, right outta
Strunk'n'White.....
--
EA

The teacher of my very bright and ambitious high school English class
cautioned us not to write like e.e.cummings unless we WERE
e.e.cummings. She reminded us that Picasso had mastered the classical
painting style before developing his own.
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/p/picasso/self1.jpg
http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/...arly-Work.html

The only exception she tolerated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(composer)

I've always enjoyed Picasso's work but his later works look as though he
discovered psychedelic mushrooms since LSD hadn't been synthesized in
those days. ^_^

This is your brain.

This is your brain on crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

The difference being that the Germans were so short of resources that
they designed stuff that way. It wasn't so much "field engineering".
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

WT had it first going all the way back to their Cavebilly ancestors. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 10:03:11 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

There are a few. Brian May is an astrophysicist.

If I'm wrong, I"d enjoy hearing your cites.
And the irony to that is we then have to listen to GED bull**** philosophies
on love and life, recorded for all of eternity, for the rest of our
miserable lives.

No, you really don't "have to" but you like whining too much to turn
it off.

more EA claptrap snipped

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news6adnZ5w0aDHJ7XMnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@earthlink. com...
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Brian May is an extraordinary example -- altho, technically speaking, he
didn't get his PhD until 2007 -- well after Queen et al. Still, very
unique.... and thus, one out of.... how many musicians???
So once again, you miss the point.

If I'm wrong, I"d enjoy hearing your cites.
And the irony to that is we then have to listen to GED bull****
philosophies
on love and life, recorded for all of eternity, for the rest of our
miserable lives.

No, you really don't "have to" but you like whining too much to turn
it off.

Oh, believe me, I turn it off. But whining is so much fun.

Speaking of whining, and pining, you are pining away for Jim Morrison, eh?
Yeah, I understand.....

more EA claptrap snipped

Yet still, you READ it!! And with very little comprehension, very little to
contribute.
Altho, Brian May was a good one. Mebbe you can fellate him, since Jim is
proly perty corroded by now....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas on Sat, 23 Feb
2013 04:33:14 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

White Trash is such a group of people and it may not be widely known
but February is White Trash Month and has been for many years since
it's the shortest month and WT has always gotten to short end of the
stick. The White Trash month celebrations going on at trailer parks
across the nation have been quite entertaining for the participants
this year. ^_^

They live in trailer parks, because they aren't minorities who can
get subsidized housing.

Oh I know plenty of WT on the government dole. Most people refuse to
believe that Caucasian females account for the greatest number of
welfare recipients. It used to be that they would stay on welfare until
they could get back on their feet but from what I've seen, they will now
accept it as a way of life. O_o

Why not? Stay that is. The traditional way "off the dole" has
been to get married. But what guy in that socio-economic demographic
can compete with Uncle Sam when it comes to being a good provider? Had
a friend who was on the Dole, because the alternative was losing
custody of her child. (She had a job, but the only shift she could get
was graveyard. Tips are good, but the schedule sucks.)

Years ago I read an essay in which the author recalled how before
the expansion of the Great Society, there were parts of the country
where it was kind of accepted that sometimes boys and girls would be
boys and girls - and she'd get in the family way before she was
married. Sigh. "It happens." The traditional pattern was then that
Gramma and Grandpa would raise the kid, until one of two things
happened: the child reached age 5, or she got preggers again. At
which point the entire community would start asking "So when are you
going to get married and settle down?" Of both her, and the boy. And
he'd better man up and do the right thing, which he already knew.
But, along comes the Democrats and their Great Society, and she
can get far more from Uncle Sam than the father could ever provide.
And if Democrats ever wonder why there has been an increase of out of
wedlock births, they are just part of the reason.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 on Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:04:44 +0000
(UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Jerry had to improvise even when they were winning the war. They
had this problem that the demand for material (trucks, tanks, guns,
etc) meant they couldn't take a captured factory off-line to retool to
a standard "type". Plus they had a lot of captured items (tanks,
transports, etc) that they pressed into service because it worked.
Imagine having to keep parts on hand for trucks made in Germany,
France, Czechoslovakia, Russia and England/The US?

It is a wonder they lasted as long as they did.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Marc Knopfler (Dire Straits, Sultans of Swing) is another inneresting case.
No PhD in physics, but he got a BS in englich, and was a working stiff for
some time before getting seriously involved in music.
VERY informal training, yet he is ranked in the various Great Guitarists
lists, and Sultans of Swing is in, iirc, the top 100 (or so) of the RS's top
500 hits of all time.
A distinctly unique song, lyric, very rare lyric form, consisting of a bit
of a lengthy, *unrepeated* verse.

And I am sure there are "many others", but still statistically dwarfed by
the successful ilitirits in pop, jazz, and esp. rock'n'roll.

Actors/Actresses seem to be a different story. Altho not rife with PhDs,
there seems to be more countable examples of academic achievement there.
Judd Hirsch (Taxi) has a BSME,
Dolph Lundgren a MS in Chem. E (MIT, iirc),
James Wood is 1 course short of a BS/Math (MIT),
quite a few non-technical degrees running around out there.

In sports:
George (The Animal) Steele (prof. wrestler) sposedly had a PhD in Englich
Lit (and would tear the padding off the turnbuckles apart with his teeth),
Dick Barnett (Knicks) a PhD in psychology,
Bill Bradley (Knicks) Rhodes Scholar (with Clinton), and
the Klitchko Bros (recent or current Russian boxing champs) have PhD's in
exercise physiology.

The reason for the dearth of academic accomplishment in musicians is, as far
as moi can surmise is, is that music requires a highly developed part of the
brain, which often exists "at the expense" of other parts of the brain. In
addition, it often requires total creative immersion, quite at odds with the
(often bull****) academic ""experience"". WHich is not at all to say that
musicians are less academically capable -- proly quite the opposite, given
the correlation with music, math and physics -- but that the artistic drive
is likely exclusionary.

Acting, otoh, is essentially a higher order emotional aberration, a kind of
low-level functional sociopathy, high-level narcissism, which happens to
benefit from a mainstream socialization process (read: college and college
partying), before it veers off into a well-paid insanity (well, well-paid
for some).

And Le Pubic fuels this like an barely-controlled nuclear reaction. This
is, imo, part and parcel of our economic demise. If you are so confused as
to worship an utterly useless celebrity, HTF can you poss. vote wisely, or
manage yer money??
--
EA

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 03:15:33 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 2/22/2013 10:00 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 21:53:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Do you vist: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com

I haven't been to that site before but there are all kinds of "The
People of Walmart" videos out there even some songs. ^_^

There are probably a thousand pictures of the strange being that
inhabit the dark isles of WalMart stores on that site. Don't blame me
if you spend a whole day asking yourself, WTH?

Make sure you're sitting down when you visit their DIY repair site:

http://whitetrashrepairs.com/

The problem is, I've seen and had to deal with those kind of things for
real. ^_^

TDD

Then you'll appreciate the Redneck Smoke Alarm:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f11/redne...etector-54691/

That's not a smoke detector, that's a heat detector. I should know, one
of the things I've done professionally was the installation of fire
alarm systems and that device resembles a detector called a "rate of
rise" which goes off when the air temperature reaches a certain point at
a certain speed. ^_^

TDD

But..its very much like the old Soda Globe heat detectors one can find
occasionally in the East.

Very similar to these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sn...uisher_02A.jpg

1. Lie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 04:42:09 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Of course not, I'd never be so arrogant to claim I've seen everything
but I'm confident I've seen TOO much. I know I'll never live long enough
to see EVERYTHING. ^_^

May you live long enough to regret that remark. ;-)

Hear Hear!!!

1. Lie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 06:23:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I was "night security" at a cat house in Ely Nevada in the early 1970s
several nights a week..and it was clean, as were the girls..most of
whom came to work during school breaks. A noted lawyer and a rather
famous pediatrician were house girls who came to earn their tuition
money and enjoy the break from school

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:29:33 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Michigan Tech (Soo) has the cafeteria named Alfred Packer Memorial
Cafeteria

1. Lie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:32:12 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

What did you expect for $46?

Truly amazing, isn't it? These moron lefties want their $46 microwave
but want it hand made in the USA by union thugs, making $50/hr.

Membrane switches won't take abuse, and
that includes constantly poking them with sharp fingernails or a
utensil.

He's pretty dull, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:12:54 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

.. .

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

No, I got the point. You want to endlessly whine. It doesn't matter
about what. You just need to whine in public.

If I'm wrong, I"d enjoy hearing your cites.
And the irony to that is we then have to listen to GED bull****
philosophies
on love and life, recorded for all of eternity, for the rest of our
miserable lives.

No, you really don't "have to" but you like whining too much to turn
it off.

Oh, believe me, I turn it off. But whining is so much fun.

Admission accepted.

Speaking of whining, and pining, you are pining away for Jim Morrison, eh?
Yeah, I understand.....

You really are a stupid ****, aren't you? (no need to answer that,
it's a rhetorical question, dummy)

more EA claptrap snipped

Yet still, you READ it!! And with very little comprehension, very little to
contribute.

No, I didn't read the rest of your childish screed, idiot.

Altho, Brian May was a good one. Mebbe you can fellate him, since Jim is
proly perty corroded by now....

You're not my type, but it figures that you're as queer as HomoGay.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Gunner on Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:36:09 -0800 typed

Fourth or even fifth generation in some families. Sad, but true. I
don't see it much anymore, but back in the '60 & '70s I did TV repair
and saw a lot of disgusting things. Did you ever run a service call in
a whorehouse? The place reeked, and everyone there looked like death
warmed over.

I was "night security" at a cat house in Ely Nevada in the early 1970s
several nights a week..and it was clean, as were the girls..most of
whom came to work during school breaks. A noted lawyer and a rather
famous pediatrician were house girls who came to earn their tuition
money and enjoy the break from school

No heavy lifting and you get to meet new people ...

Rumor control is that is how Nancy Pelosi gained her skills at
screwing the people.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Yep. And many early music groups had advanced degrees in music (The
Limelighters, etc.).

Many? Please.....
You'd be hardpressed to find rock'n'rollers with ANY degrees in ANYthing,

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/docto...ans-with-phds/

Mick Jagger is alleged to be a graduate of the London School of Economics.

http://www.mickjaggerbiography.com/t...by-marc-spitz/

I believe Art Garfunkel has a degree in math and Lou Reed one in English.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Years ago I worked a short time for a company selling self contained
fire alarms and I believe they even had a similar self contained fire
extinguisher. I do remember seeing the type extinguisher as the one in
your link. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Fourth or even fifth generation in some families. Sad, but true. I
don't see it much anymore, but back in the '60 & '70s I did TV repair
and saw a lot of disgusting things. Did you ever run a service call in
a whorehouse? The place reeked, and everyone there looked like death
warmed over.

I was "night security" at a cat house in Ely Nevada in the early 1970s
several nights a week..and it was clean, as were the girls..most of
whom came to work during school breaks. A noted lawyer and a rather
famous pediatrician were house girls who came to earn their tuition
money and enjoy the break from school

This looked like a flop house. Old, dirty & beds everywhere. The
kind of building that the city was activly buying and buldozing, if the
owner couldn't bring it up to code.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

WT had it first going all the way back to their Cavebilly ancestors. ^_^

Some of those caves were made from stone beer bottles. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:42:36 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Fourth or even fifth generation in some families. Sad, but true. I
don't see it much anymore, but back in the '60 & '70s I did TV repair
and saw a lot of disgusting things. Did you ever run a service call in
a whorehouse? The place reeked, and everyone there looked like death
warmed over.

I was "night security" at a cat house in Ely Nevada in the early 1970s
several nights a week..and it was clean, as were the girls..most of
whom came to work during school breaks. A noted lawyer and a rather
famous pediatrician were house girls who came to earn their tuition
money and enjoy the break from school

This looked like a flop house. Old, dirty & beds everywhere. The
kind of building that the city was activly buying and buldozing, if the
owner couldn't bring it up to code

Prostitution in that part of Nevada was legal. So it was far more
"commercial" than in other places. No money spent on keeping the cops
away via bribes and whatnot. And the girls were well paid.

As a cop..Ive seen a bunch of poorly paid ladies..their pimps taking
the vast majority of their pay. Which is why it should be legalized
across the US.

1. Lie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:40:16 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

What did you expect for $46?

Truly amazing, isn't it? These moron lefties want their $46 microwave
but want it hand made in the USA by union thugs, making $50/hr.

Membrane switches won't take abuse, and that includes constantly
poking them with sharp fingernails or a utensil.

He's pretty dull, though.

That's the type that doesn't notice the damage till it's too late.
Hell, a GOOD US made membrane switch would sell for more than $30 in
quantities of 5,000 or less.

Being who I am, I am replacing the switches in a wireless mouse. I
can't find another model that doesn't bother my Carpal Tunnel, and
Logitech has used the same switches for over a decade. Not that I think
most people could replace one on a double sided, board with PTH.

Which reminds me...I picked up a microwave last week from a Scratch
and dent store for $20. Kenmore product, current model. I fired it
up before buying it and it worked well. Got it home..fired it up..and
it ran for about 30 seconds and then it puffed out some smoke and
died.

So I popped it open and found a thermostat secured to the top of the
cooking chamber that had literally melted down. Bypassed it..and it
works fine. I suspect its a safety that senses if the chamber gets too
hot because of fire or other extreme temperature. Simple open/close
device that had for some reason..melted. Wires were fine, plastic on
the connectors was not melted and there were black smoke smudges on
the inside of the cover. No idea of why it melted down. Must have been
something internal..not well made. Near the klystron and above the
lightbulb compartment. Main power runs through it. So I put the thing
back in operation with wire strippers and a wire nut... and in
fact..cooked dinner in it tonight. Works fine.

So I took the old Panasonic that had failed..and Id replaced with the
new Kenmore out and opened it up too. Filled with spider webs, the
odd fly, roach and lots and lots of crumbs. Probably 12 or more years
old. And virtually identical to the Kenmore internally. The only
difference was the position of several of the internal sensors and the
electronic display for the various cooking programs. Cleaned it out,
sprayed the circuits with board cleaner to get the crumbs and roach
turds off the board, , let it dry out, fired it back up and it now
works just fine as well.

I was rather amazed at the simularity between the Panasonic guts, some
12 or more years old..and the new Kenmore guts. Obviously Sears doesnt
make their own nukes and is buying them from Panasonic. Shrug

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Microwave ovens are very simple technology, if it works, why screw with
the design since the math doesn't change? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Being who I am, I am replacing the switches in a wireless mouse. I
can't find another model that doesn't bother my Carpal Tunnel, and
Logitech has used the same switches for over a decade. Not that I
think
most people could replace one on a double sided, board with PTH.

Some reviews of the Logitech M570 trackball say it helps their CTS:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-0.../dp/B0043T7FXE

I bought one to control 7 Media Center from the arm of a chair and am
slowly approaching the precision I acquired with a mouse from 20+
years of CAD work. At first it was very awkward.

My hand is slightly too small for it and slides back unless I position
it where the chair back supports my elbow.
jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Legalizing prostitution doesn't eliminate pimps. It solves very few
problems and creates a lot more, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 11:32*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

For $46, I expected the magnetron to fail

Come on. No sharp finger nails, just finger pads.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

Uh, say what?! How'd you get into a personal attack? Why do you
consider me "...pretty dull,...."? Boring, probably, Dense, no.

Especially, not so 'dull' as to expect the $46 microwave oven to last
very long. I simply was sharing my experience, reinforcing someone's
tongue in cheek comment about how it is not necessary to clean the
microwave surfaces because the microwave will fail first! The
poster's joke was like all good humour, based in truth.

Don't know why YOU assume a leftie, member of the Republican National
Committee, personally invited by Bob Dole to join the Republican Inner
Circle. More details witheld because this IS a public forum regarding
home repair and most importantly, this is NOT a political forum.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

Dumb.

Especially, not so 'dull' as to expect the $46 microwave oven to last
very long. I simply was sharing my experience, reinforcing someone's
tongue in cheek comment about how it is not necessary to clean the
microwave surfaces because the microwave will fail first! The
poster's joke was like all good humour, based in truth.

Anyone bitching about the quality of a $46 WallyWorld microwave
doesn't have electricity to all floors.

Don't know why YOU assume a leftie, member of the Republican National
Committee, personally invited by Bob Dole to join the Republican Inner
Circle. More details witheld because this IS a public forum regarding
home repair and most importantly, this is NOT a political forum.

....and a liar. Perhaps to himself, but a liar, nonetheless.