Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Walnut Hall Table w/Cherry inlay and splines

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in news:s--dndIqHKcO07_MnZ2dnUVZ_t-
:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Nice!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 10:45 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Nice!

Thank you, Doug ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 10:53 AM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Where's the drawer?

Very nice, that walnut is very light colored, is that the pic or the
nature of southern walnut?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 10:53 AM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Very well done. Didn't see the splines.

--
 GW Ross

 Growing old is mandatory; growing up
 is optional!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/13 9:53 AM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Insert superlatives, here!!!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 12:21 PM, G.W.Ross wrote:
On 2/18/2013 10:53 AM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Very well done. Didn't see the splines.

Thanks ... third picture on left, at top. It shows up on my all devices:
laptop, 24" monitor, iPhone and iPad.

Here ... another one, just for you:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...62215791229474

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 12:02 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/18/2013 10:53 AM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Where's the drawer?

Don't need no steenking drawer in a hall table, would be just one more
place for a female to put something totally unnecessary, with a couple
of years or more between openings.

Very nice, that walnut is very light colored, is that the pic or the
nature of southern walnut?

Thanks!

The walnut is definitely from a stash I picked up in AR, so it is indeed
Southern ... but the middle of the table top is 3/4" walnut plywood,
which looks the same shade as the AR walunut to me in person, so it may
be just the photo, or the oil/varnish/wax finish ... or your monitor
settings?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Neat!

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/18/2013 12:21 PM, G.W.Ross wrote:
On 2/18/2013 10:53 AM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Very well done. Didn't see the splines.

Thanks ... third picture on left, at top. It shows up on my all devices:
laptop, 24" monitor, iPhone and iPad.

Here ... another one, just for you:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...62215791229474

I saw them.. They show up nicely against the walnut.
Just the right amount of differential w/o being a distraction.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

A purty little table to put purty little things on it. An obvious female
influence. I notice you don't make purty little tables to display your
Festools. But womenfolk don't like things like that in the house, do they?

It DOES look very nice. Good color! Must be you keen eye ;-) And
something that isn't too hefty. So the lines are good. It must look very
nice in the hall way with the proper decoration on top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/18/2013 12:21 PM, G.W.Ross wrote:
On 2/18/2013 10:53 AM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Very well done. Didn't see the splines.

Thanks ... third picture on left, at top. It shows up on my all devices:
laptop, 24" monitor, iPhone and iPad.

Here ... another one, just for you:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...62215791229474

Thanks! I can see it! Looks terrific.

--
 GW Ross

 Of course I'm sane. The voices said
 so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 1:39 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/18/2013 12:02 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/18/2013 10:53 AM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Where's the drawer?

Don't need no steenking drawer in a hall table, would be just one more
place for a female to put something totally unnecessary, with a couple
of years or more between openings.

Very nice, that walnut is very light colored, is that the pic or the
nature of southern walnut?

Thanks!

The walnut is definitely from a stash I picked up in AR, so it is indeed
Southern ... but the middle of the table top is 3/4" walnut plywood,
which looks the same shade as the AR walunut to me in person, so it may
be just the photo, or the oil/varnish/wax finish ... or your monitor
settings?

I went half way with the one I built. I put dummy drawer fronts and
knobs on it. My wife doesn't know the difference.

--
 GW Ross

 Of course I'm sane. The voices said
 so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 2:00 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
A purty little table to put purty little things on it. An obvious female
influence. I notice you don't make purty little tables to display your
Festools. But womenfolk don't like things like that in the house, do they?

It DOES look very nice. Good color! Must be you keen eye ;-) And
something that isn't too hefty. So the lines are good. It must look
very nice in the hall way with the proper decoration on top.

Thanks, Lee ... yes, it has to be my keen eye for color, or a lucky
accident.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:53:55 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

--

eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com

Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts

http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/

KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

That is just plain gorgeous.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:53:55 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

I like it.

Is that the project, you mentioned in another thread, where the walnut and cherry developed similar coloration, over time?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Nice Karl - what did you finish it with?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman was heard to mutter:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

Very nice indeed. My kind of table. Straigt lines and tapered legs.
Simple and elegant.And I love walnut. Thanks for sharing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice Karl - what did you finish it with?

Yes, my question too. What finish? Very subtle whatever it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 8:50 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

On 2/19/2013 11:19 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Yes, my question too. What finish? Very subtle whatever it is.

Nice Karl - what did you finish it with?

Thanks, Mike ... multiple coats (5+), hand rubbed with a Sam Maloof
varnish/oil mixture, followed by an oil/varnish/beeswax mixture.

See #4 below:

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/finishing.htm

It is well to note, for the benefit of those who decry this method of
finish, that the finish on this piece has not been touched, in almost
ten years (9/2003), with anything but a soft dusting cloth.

This has always been my finish of choice for walnut and cherry furnitu

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-y...81/HC23.JPG

Hard to beat, IMO.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Thanks, Mike ... multiple coats (5+), hand rubbed with a Sam Maloof
varnish/oil mixture, followed by an oil/varnish/beeswax mixture.

See #4 below:

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/finishing.htm

It is well to note, for the benefit of those who decry this method of
finish, that the finish on this piece has not been touched, in almost
ten years (9/2003), with anything but a soft dusting cloth.

This has always been my finish of choice for walnut and cherry
furnitu
Hard to beat, IMO.

So - I'm new to this type of chemestry. Everything was polyurethane in the
past, or occassionally an oil finish.

The pieces I built for my Kreg jig (walnut) have about 4 coats of some old
(very old...) Minwax Antique Oil Finish that I've had in the garage for
decades. It's a mixture of Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits according to the
container. I lobbed it on, wiped off the excess after 15 or 20 minutes, and
repeated this process for 4 or so coats. It colored up nice, but walnut
will color up nice with cat ****.

This finish does not provide any luster though. I have not applied any wax
yet, since I'm not sure if there is something more, or something better I
should do before waxing it. It's not a piece of furniture so I'm not sure
how special I want to get with this, but I do think it would look nicer with
a little luster. Besides - it's walnut, it deserves to look gooder.

Any suggestions? I just can't bring myself to shoot it with automotive
clearcoat...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/2013 4:34 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

[...]

If you feel you have enough coats, by all means there is nothing wrong
with waxing it.

The beeswax in the last step of Sam's finish is there for that very
reason, to provide that subtle luster that turns some woods into things
of beauty ... walnut and cherry in particular. But it takes some hard
work rubbing, generating as much friction as possible, to do it justice.

I'm particularly fond of an English product called "Antiquax" for my
hand rubbed finishes. Was first introduced to it in England 50 years ago
and have yet to find its equal ... once hard to find, you can now buy it
on Amazon and Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...5&site=ROCKLER

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 10:53:55 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

--

eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com

Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts

http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/

KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Nicely done!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 18:43:14 -0600, Swingman wrote:

I'm particularly fond of an English product called "Antiquax" for my
hand rubbed finishes. Was first introduced to it in England 50 years ago
and have yet to find its equal ... once hard to find, you can now buy it
on Amazon and Rockler:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...5&site=ROCKLER

It's subjective to use of course, but how long does one of those tins
last you? Seems to me anyway, to be fairly expensive at $13.29 per 3.5
oz. tin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

If you feel you have enough coats, by all means there is nothing wrong
with waxing it.

The beeswax in the last step of Sam's finish is there for that very
reason, to provide that subtle luster that turns some woods into
things of beauty ... walnut and cherry in particular. But it takes
some hard work rubbing, generating as much friction as possible, to
do it justice.
I'm particularly fond of an English product called "Antiquax" for my
hand rubbed finishes. Was first introduced to it in England 50 years
ago and have yet to find its equal ... once hard to find, you can now
buy it on Amazon and Rockler:

Thanks Karl. I looked at the pieces last night and I think I'm going to add
a couple or a few more coats of the linseed oil/mineral spirits to it. As
it sat, it appears to have soaked in more and looks drier than it did. I'll
oil it more over the week, and then hit it with wax.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2013 1:02 AM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 18:43:14 -0600, Swingman wrote:

I'm particularly fond of an English product called "Antiquax" for my
hand rubbed finishes. Was first introduced to it in England 50 years ago
and have yet to find its equal ... once hard to find, you can now buy it
on Amazon and Rockler:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...5&site=ROCKLER

It's subjective to use of course, but how long does one of those tins
last you? Seems to me anyway, to be fairly expensive at $13.29 per 3.5
oz. tin.

It's cost effective and has a long shelf life. This one, kept in a
drawer in the den, was purchased in 2003 and is only about 1/3 used:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...42147787456658

I wax each piece about once a year, and have another can I keep in the shop.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

It's cost effective and has a long shelf life. This one, kept in a
drawer in the den, was purchased in 2003 and is only about 1/3 used:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...42147787456658

I wax each piece about once a year, and have another can I keep in
the shop.

Jumpin' Geezus - how long did you take setting that shot up just right?
Proper light glow for a product name like Antiquax, the doiley for a
backdrop, the base of the lamp, and sadly - the oak table top - walnut would
have been so much better...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:47:26 AM UTC-6, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jumpin' Geezus - how long did you take setting that shot up just right? Proper light glow for a product name like Antiquax, the doiley for a backdrop, the base of the lamp, and sadly - the oak table top - walnut would have been so much better...

I thought the setup was great, perfect, until I saw that A&M inclusion.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2013 10:48 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:47:26 AM UTC-6, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jumpin' Geezus - how long did you take setting that shot up just right? Proper light glow for a product name like Antiquax, the doiley for a backdrop, the base of the lamp, and sadly - the oak table top - walnut would have been so much better...

Shhheesssssshhh, you guys are a tough bunch.

Hours ... about ten seconds. Took the farking can of wax out of the
drawer, opened, set it on the table top, and clicked once with my iPhone
.... like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...85725021361538

I thought the setup was great, perfect, until I saw that A&M inclusion.

Compliments of my youngest duaghter, who considers it an offense against
nature not to fill the house with Aggie stuff. That sits there to keep
the riffraff from putting their wine glasses on _MY_ furnitures.

But, my long suffering pup gets the worst of it, poor thing:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...89142917147442

Class of '66 and proud of it, cher ... my Fish year - 1962, 9500 in the
school, 7500 in the Corps, times have changed since me, and a few
hundred other coonies, went to A&M at the same time. Many were
Veterinarian students because there was no other place to go at the time.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2013 12:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

When I lived in Texas the word was--A bumper sticker saying "I'm an
Aggie Mom" entitled you to park in a handicapped spot.

--
 GW Ross

 Of course I'm sane. The voices said
 so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:53:55 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...lnutHallTable#

--

eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com

Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts

http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/

KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Simply Beautiful!

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:37:56 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
Class of '66 and proud of it, cher ... my Fish year - 1962,

I'm actually a fan of the Aggies. Two of Mom's brothers and a sister live in Houston and most of my cousins went to either U of H or A&M. They, vis-a-vis you, are in good company.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"G.W.Ross" wrote:

When I lived in Texas the word was--A bumper sticker saying "I'm an Aggie
Mom" entitled you to park in a handicapped spot.

We don't mind ... after all, Houston's hurricane evacuation plan calls for
Aggies to take the 610 Loop.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2013 7:56 PM, RonB wrote:

Simply Beautiful!

Thank you, Ron ... appreciate it!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:34:40 -0600, Swingman wrote:
It's cost effective and has a long shelf life. This one, kept in a
drawer in the den, was purchased in 2003 and is only about 1/3 used:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...42147787456658

It does last a long time doesn't it? I bought a 1lb tin of dark wax
from Lee Valley Tools a good 25 years ago and I'm still only halfway
through it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopWalnutHallT
able#

Karl,

Is this the one that you were talking about the other day, the one where
the cherry had darkened until it blended in with the walnut? I see what
you mean. Most of the cherry things I have built have certainly darkened
over the years.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

We don't mind ... after all, Houston's hurricane evacuation plan
calls for
Aggies to take the 610 Loop.

Careful, there are ALMOST as many Aggie jokes as there are
Pollack jokes.

There just isn't enough time.

Lew