Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Walnut Hall Table w/Cherry inlay and splines

On 2/19/2013 4:34 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Thanks, Mike ... multiple coats (5+), hand rubbed with a Sam Maloof
varnish/oil mixture, followed by an oil/varnish/beeswax mixture.

See #4 below:

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/finishing.htm

It is well to note, for the benefit of those who decry this method of
finish, that the finish on this piece has not been touched, in almost
ten years (9/2003), with anything but a soft dusting cloth.

This has always been my finish of choice for walnut and cherry
furnitu
Hard to beat, IMO.

So - I'm new to this type of chemestry. Everything was polyurethane in the
past, or occassionally an oil finish.

The pieces I built for my Kreg jig (walnut) have about 4 coats of some old
(very old...) Minwax Antique Oil Finish that I've had in the garage for
decades. It's a mixture of Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits according to the
container. I lobbed it on, wiped off the excess after 15 or 20 minutes, and
repeated this process for 4 or so coats. It colored up nice, but walnut
will color up nice with cat ****.

This finish does not provide any luster though. I have not applied any wax
yet, since I'm not sure if there is something more, or something better I
should do before waxing it. It's not a piece of furniture so I'm not sure
how special I want to get with this, but I do think it would look nicer with
a little luster. Besides - it's walnut, it deserves to look gooder.

Any suggestions? I just can't bring myself to shoot it with automotive
clearcoat...

If you feel you have enough coats, by all means there is nothing wrong
with waxing it.

The beeswax in the last step of Sam's finish is there for that very
reason, to provide that subtle luster that turns some woods into things
of beauty ... walnut and cherry in particular. But it takes some hard
work rubbing, generating as much friction as possible, to do it justice.

I'm particularly fond of an English product called "Antiquax" for my
hand rubbed finishes. Was first introduced to it in England 50 years ago
and have yet to find its equal ... once hard to find, you can now buy it
on Amazon and Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...5&site=ROCKLER

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com