Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chair wood filler

I have a really nice (in its day) wood and leather chair. The sides are C
shaped, and made of some sort of springy strong steam formed wood. The seat
is leather. In its day, I imagine it was spendy. Good comfortable chair,
and leather is good.

Someone had a puppy, and one of the arms has chew marks. On the underside,
they are deeper, up to quarter inch. I don't want to restore this to as new
shape, just fill in the holes, shape, sand, and put some matching
stain/varnish over it. I know there are common wood fillers. Is that what
I would use, or is there something stronger, maybe epoxy based, or some
other type that has a little more holding power in an area where this might
flex?

Anyone know what a chair like that might be worth? I got it free at a yard
sale with some other "stuff".

I really like the chair.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2013 4:02 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

How much did you pay for it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
[...]

Nothing. The openings to the two C sides are facing rearward, so there is a
hand rest. The wood is about 3/4" thick, and 2.5" wide, looks like layered.
Nice springy seat, and soft cushion. Might be Bruno Mathsson, not labeled,
but that style.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2013 4:14 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

I am clueless what it is worth but if you like it and it can be salvaged
it would be priceless to you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

I have a really nice (in its day) wood and leather chair. The sides
are C shaped, and made of some sort of springy strong steam formed
wood. The seat is leather. In its day, I imagine it was spendy.
Good comfortable chair, and leather is good.

Someone had a puppy, and one of the arms has chew marks. On the
underside, they are deeper, up to quarter inch. I don't want to
restore this to as new shape, just fill in the holes, shape, sand,
and put some matching stain/varnish over it. I know there are
common wood fillers. Is that what I would use, or is there
something stronger, maybe epoxy based, or some other type that has a
little more holding power in an area where this might flex?

Anyone know what a chair like that might be worth? I got it free at
a yard sale with some other "stuff".

I'd use epoxy thickened with micro-balloons and colored with brown
pigment.

Check out System3.

http://tinyurl.com/coseof6

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

I am clueless what it is worth but if you like it and it can be salvaged
it would be priceless to you.

We've had it for years, now. The connection in the back on the base was
broken out, and replaced with a piece of natural pine with four sheet rock
screws when we got it. We drug it out last evening for a party, and I sat
in it, and now want to fix just a couple of things with it. Drill out the
dowels, and put a new doweled piece in there properly, and stain it. Just
like to ask ahead of time, as glue is hard to remove and replace if you use
the wrong stuff.

If it was all cleaned up and fixed properly, I'd pay up to $50 for it, so I
guess that's what it's worth.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message ...

I have a really nice (in its day) wood and leather chair. The sides are C
shaped, and made of some sort of springy strong steam formed wood. The
seat is leather. In its day, I imagine it was spendy. Good comfortable
chair, and leather is good.

Someone had a puppy, and one of the arms has chew marks. On the underside,
they are deeper, up to quarter inch. I don't want to restore this to as
new

Having encountered this before I have to ask: Is there wood actually
missing or are there mostly, or entirely, just dents in the wood? I'd try
steaming the surface, even multiple times, and see just what is left... You
might discover that most or even all of the wood is still there but it was
crushed. Depending on the results you may need little more than a light
sanding and/or shellac sticks to fix the surface before refinishing.

Just a conservative thought before bringing out the big guns of fillers and
epoxy....

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

Having encountered this before I have to ask: Is there wood actually
missing or are there mostly, or entirely, just dents in the wood? I'd try
steaming the surface, even multiple times, and see just what is left...
You might discover that most or even all of the wood is still there but it
was crushed. Depending on the results you may need little more than a
light sanding and/or shellac sticks to fix the surface before refinishing.

Just a conservative thought before bringing out the big guns of fillers
and epoxy....

John

It is as you describe, just crushed, but moreso on the bottom. I'll try the
steamer thing first.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message ...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

Having encountered this before I have to ask: Is there wood actually
missing or are there mostly, or entirely, just dents in the wood? I'd try
steaming the surface, even multiple times, and see just what is left...
You might discover that most or even all of the wood is still there but
it was crushed. Depending on the results you may need little more than a
light sanding and/or shellac sticks to fix the surface before
refinishing.

Just a conservative thought before bringing out the big guns of fillers
and epoxy....

John

It is as you describe, just crushed, but moreso on the bottom. I'll try
the steamer thing first.

The way I do this is I use a wash cloth and an electric iron. The wash cloth
holds a lot of moisture and the iron will bring it up to "steam hot" if you
put it on the "steam" setting. Mind you, you are not using the steam iron as
a steam iron... you are simply using it as a heat source.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

The way I do this is I use a wash cloth and an electric iron. The wash
cloth holds a lot of moisture and the iron will bring it up to "steam hot"
if you put it on the "steam" setting. Mind you, you are not using the
steam iron as a steam iron... you are simply using it as a heat source.

John

TY. I was wondering what I was going to do for steam. Why is the simple
solution the hardest one to come up with?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message ...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

The way I do this is I use a wash cloth and an electric iron. The wash
cloth holds a lot of moisture and the iron will bring it up to "steam
hot" if you put it on the "steam" setting. Mind you, you are not using
the steam iron as a steam iron... you are simply using it as a heat
source.

John

TY. I was wondering what I was going to do for steam. Why is the simple
solution the hardest one to come up with?

Steve

I'm sure that eventually some company will market a "must have," "29 piece
dent steaming kit with it's own sturdy and convenient storage box." In the
mean time, I suggest not using the "guest" wash cloths for this repair. ;~)

John

wood filler: sal[_2_] Woodworking 5 July 17th 12 05:24 PM
Wood filler blackbat UK diy 12 March 6th 10 10:50 AM
Filler For Cracked/Rotted Wood - Mr Mack's Wood Fix Equivalent abby Home Repair 5 July 26th 08 04:31 AM
Wood Filler For Exterior Wood Patching ? Robert11 Home Repair 4 March 4th 07 09:04 PM
Wood filler Dave Woodworking 11 October 27th 06 10:09 PM