Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Anybody else getting junk mail after woodworking purchase?

I am receiving third-party advertising mail that I believe is because I
recently made a purchase from a popular company many of us here
deal with.

On the envelope it touts 'Products for Woodworkers', but much of it
is pure junk.

It's a bunch of pre-paid postcards to various companies.
It includes:
The Vacurect Vacuum Erection Device (one of the few 'power tools' in the batch)
The United States and Britain in Bible Prophesy
Two competing satellite TV company ads
Win a free bed
Another bed
Wheelchairs
etc.

A few advertisements for woodworking magazines.

Since I've only made one on-line woodworking purchase in months,
I think I've got it narrowed down as to which company. At purchase,
I was careful to correctly mark all the boxes for 'do not put me on
mailing, e-mail, or any other lists', and I'm already on the normal
anti-junk mail lists.

Anybody else getting this stuff trackable to woodworking purchases?

- J

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe invalid wrote in :

I am receiving third-party advertising mail that I believe is because I
recently made a purchase from a popular company many of us here
deal with.

Which company?

If you bought from Lee Valley, it's not due to them. I've bought from them *numerous* times
and never once had anything of the sort happen. Ditto Grizzly.

Do you subscribe to any woodworking magazines? If so, I think you ought to be wondering
which one of them sold their mailing list.

On the envelope it touts 'Products for Woodworkers', but much of it
is pure junk.
It's a bunch of pre-paid postcards to various companies.

[examples snipped]

I occasionally get similar packets, but with a couple of differences: most of the postcards I
get are *not* pre-paid, and most of the products advertised are at least D-I-Y related if not
directly involved with woodworking -- very little of the completely irrelevant crap like you
received.

A few advertisements for woodworking magazines.

Which ones? That might be a clue to who *bought* the mailing list, and maybe to who sold it
also.

Since I've only made one on-line woodworking purchase in months,

Could be coincidence.

There could be other reasons: Did you attend one of the Woodworking Shows recently?
There's another mailing list. Enter any drawings while you were at the show? There's
another.

I think I've got it narrowed down as to which company.

Again: which one?

At purchase,
I was careful to correctly mark all the boxes for 'do not put me on
mailing, e-mail, or any other lists', and I'm already on the normal
anti-junk mail lists.

Anybody else getting this stuff trackable to woodworking purchases?

Not any time recently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe invalid wrote:
[...]

I got and endless supply after registering to win Bessey tools on Facebook
at Christmas. Hundreds of different emails generated by Enkio. I finally
got rid of it by setting a filter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2013 7:25 AM, Joe wrote:
[...]

It has been some years but when I had a job, there was an advertising
firm that would send packets of cards for all types of companies. The
cards would be specialized to your apparent interest.

I used to purposely get on the mailing list for the packets were
oriented toward lab equipment. There was another packet that was
oriented toward electronic hobbyist. While there was a lot of junk,
periodically you would find something of interest and I always sent
those card for additional information.

You could get on the mailing list in many ways. Have you given your
address to anyone that would get the impression that you are a
woodworker. Subscriptions, request for information, to a hardware store,?

PS: I was always amused by the ads for the industrial transformer or
power supply being held by a young lady in a bikini. Not the dress of a
person who worked with the piece of equipment, and definitely not
allowed by government work site regulations.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 28, 2013 4:25:59 AM UTC-8, Joe wrote:
I am receiving third-party advertising mail that I believe is because I recently made a purchase from a popular company many of us here deal with. On the envelope it touts 'Products for Woodworkers', but much of it is pure junk. It's a bunch of pre-paid postcards to various companies. It includes: The Vacurect Vacuum Erection Device (one of the few 'power tools' in the batch) The United States and Britain in Bible Prophesy Two competing satellite TV company

Eeerrrhhh, could you please forward the information about that vacuum device... uh it's for a friend.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2013 10:23 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2013 4:25:59 AM UTC-8, Joe wrote:
I am receiving third-party advertising mail that I believe is because I recently made a purchase from a popular company many of us here deal with. On the envelope it touts 'Products for Woodworkers', but much of it is pure junk. It's a bunch of pre-paid postcards to various companies. It includes: The Vacurect Vacuum Erection Device (one of the few 'power tools' in the batch) The United States and Britain in Bible Prophesy Two competing satellite TV company

Eeerrrhhh, could you please forward the information about that vacuum device... uh it's for a friend.

I've gotten a couple of them in the last few months, in fact, one just a
couple of days ago. The vast majority of this latest one was
woodworking-related, including two cards from Lee Valley, and cards from
several of the magazines. At least 90-95% woodworking related. My only
recent online purchase (only in 2012, for that matter) was from Penn
State Industries, and there was nothing in the batch from them.

Only a small handful (4-5 - I didn't count them) were postage-paid
cards. The others required a stamp. I glance through them out of
curiosity, just to see what's out there, but since I'm retired and
woodworking is a second hobby, I have minimal need for any of the
products offered.

So. Let whoever's sending them out waste their money (as do the
advertisers who pay for the printing) - it's a simple task for me to
toss them in the recycle box. Besides, it helps keep the post office in
business, and those guys can use all the help they can get!

Matt
(And no vacuum device in the batch I just got... sorry.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Eeerrrhhh, could you please forward the information about that vacuum device... uh it's for a friend.

I imagine woodie working is a little off topic.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"phorbin" wrote:

I imagine woodie working is a little off topic.

See "Woody" over on ABPW

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Eeerrrhhh, could you please forward the information about that
vacuum device... uh it's for a friend.

https://postvac.com/

Here ya go.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2013 6:09 AM, Leon wrote:
Joe invalid wrote:
[...]

Facebook has a long history of being hacked by email phishers. It
cannot be trusted with personal information. But you knew that already,
didn't you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

scritch wrote:
On 1/28/2013 6:09 AM, Leon wrote:
Joe invalid wrote:
[...]

I have no personal info on there other than name and probably email. Any
visited site opens you up to getting spam

OT Hotmail and junk mail ARW UK diy 15 December 20th 12 10:18 PM
Here's How To Handle Junk Mail... Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 13 August 29th 10 07:15 PM
Kind of off topic Junk mail metspitzer Home Repair 18 July 6th 08 06:47 AM
FAST, SECURED, NO Junk mail [email protected] UK diy 2 February 16th 06 01:10 PM
Way O/T but it concerns junk mail [email protected] Metalworking 26 October 2nd 05 10:39 AM