Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Anybody else getting junk mail after woodworking purchase?

Joe invalid wrote in :

I am receiving third-party advertising mail that I believe is because I
recently made a purchase from a popular company many of us here
deal with.

Which company?

If you bought from Lee Valley, it's not due to them. I've bought from them *numerous* times
and never once had anything of the sort happen. Ditto Grizzly.

Do you subscribe to any woodworking magazines? If so, I think you ought to be wondering
which one of them sold their mailing list.

On the envelope it touts 'Products for Woodworkers', but much of it
is pure junk.
It's a bunch of pre-paid postcards to various companies.

[examples snipped]

I occasionally get similar packets, but with a couple of differences: most of the postcards I
get are *not* pre-paid, and most of the products advertised are at least D-I-Y related if not
directly involved with woodworking -- very little of the completely irrelevant crap like you
received.

A few advertisements for woodworking magazines.

Which ones? That might be a clue to who *bought* the mailing list, and maybe to who sold it
also.

Since I've only made one on-line woodworking purchase in months,

Could be coincidence.

There could be other reasons: Did you attend one of the Woodworking Shows recently?
There's another mailing list. Enter any drawings while you were at the show? There's
another.

I think I've got it narrowed down as to which company.

Again: which one?

At purchase,
I was careful to correctly mark all the boxes for 'do not put me on
mailing, e-mail, or any other lists', and I'm already on the normal
anti-junk mail lists.

Anybody else getting this stuff trackable to woodworking purchases?

Not any time recently.