Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speaking of pocket hole jigs...

In the next month or so I will have the need to make 80 pocket holes at
the ends of 1x2 stock. I have the Kreg R3, the one you clamp onto the
work with a hand-held clamp. I was never a "jig" person before, but my
brain has been turning more in that direction since I've been building
what for me is a large project. Has anyone here built the R3 into a more
stationary jig? Yes, I know Kreg sells one, but I'm reluctant to shell
out the cash for it.

I have some ideas as to how I could do it, but it's nice to learn from
other people's mistakes once in a while.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2013 10:20 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Has anyone here built the R3 into a more
stationary jig? Yes, I know Kreg sells one, but I'm reluctant to shell
out the cash for it.

I have some ideas as to how I could do it, but it's nice to learn from
other people's mistakes once in a while.

simply making good use of waiting room time waiting for Dr's
appointment ... thank gawd for iPad's

http://www.rockler.com/imageGallery/...18_resized.JPG

http://kregjig.ning.com/photo/album/...rce=activit y

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2013 8:20 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
In the next month or so I will have the need to make 80 pocket holes at
the ends of 1x2 stock. I have the Kreg R3, the one you clamp onto the
work with a hand-held clamp. I was never a "jig" person before, but my
brain has been turning more in that direction since I've been building
what for me is a large project. Has anyone here built the R3 into a more
stationary jig? Yes, I know Kreg sells one, but I'm reluctant to shell
out the cash for it.

I have some ideas as to how I could do it, but it's nice to learn from
other people's mistakes once in a while.

To get the entire kit is a VERY worth while investment. It will change
the way you build cabinets forever. With four boards and a few screws,
you can have a cabinet frame put together in minutes. Face frames go
even quicker(less holes).

It appears that others have come up with a simple solution for your
original question about the R3.

You will never regret getting the entire kit....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2013 12:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/22/2013 10:20 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Has anyone here built the R3 into a more
stationary jig? Yes, I know Kreg sells one, but I'm reluctant to shell
out the cash for it.

I have some ideas as to how I could do it, but it's nice to learn from
other people's mistakes once in a while.

simply making good use of waiting room time waiting for Dr's
appointment ... thank gawd for iPad's

Newspapers work too.

http://www.rockler.com/imageGallery/...18_resized.JPG

http://kregjig.ning.com/photo/album/...rce=activit y

Thanks for the links. I, savvy veteran builder of 2.5 jigs to date, see
things I don't like in both of them, but they are helping me visualize a
design of my own.

I like that the Kreg jig fits in a nook in one of the setups, but I
don't like that the workpiece would rest only on the tiny grey plastic
"tabs" that you use to set the depth. The plastic jig itself would also
be supported by only those flimsy tabs(plus whatever tension the clamp
provides) As I will be using 3/4" stock exclusively for this job, I
could provide a "floor" under the workpiece that is even with the tops
of the tabs. Or I could drill recesses for the tabs to fit into and shim
the body of the plastic jig such that the tabs would be even with the
floor of the wooden jig.

I'm also thinking about setting up "guides" to hold the stock in the
proper alignment in the jig. I think this will be more secure and
quicker to use as well. As I'll be using the same size stock over and
over (on this project, anyway), it should also be easy to do.

Still thinking though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2013 2:06 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you're right. I have the R3 and find it very useful, but it is
a pain to use for multiple holes. Having said that, woodworking gizmos
have a lot to compete with about now. Chief among the other things I
hope never to regret are sending my daughter to college in the Fall. So
for now, I think I'll build a jig. I understand it's good for my overall
well-being too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2013 1:29 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 1/22/2013 12:01 PM, Swingman wrote:

I have some ideas as to how I could do it, but it's nice to learn from
other people's mistakes once in a while.

simply making good use of waiting room time waiting for Dr's
appointment ... thank gawd for iPad's

Newspapers work too.

Hell, tried that. Didn't do a bit of good ... nothing I touched,
pinched, or swiped would move, and the links didn't work at all??

Thanks for the links. I, savvy veteran builder of 2.5 jigs to date, see
things I don't like in both of them, but they are helping me visualize a
design of my own.

You did ask for other peoples mistakes ...

Still thinking though.

Make it do what you want it to do. Like Pat said about the full kit ...
I have an older Kreg Master kit and, besides being able to set it up and
boogie through a bunch of face frames, when it's hooked up to my Festool
CT22E dust extractor I can cut pocket holes all day with NO dust/drill
chips whatsoever ... either of those factors alone was worth the price
of admission.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2013 12:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/22/2013 10:20 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Has anyone here built the R3 into a more
stationary jig? Yes, I know Kreg sells one, but I'm reluctant to shell
out the cash for it.

I have some ideas as to how I could do it, but it's nice to learn from
other people's mistakes once in a while.

simply making good use of waiting room time waiting for Dr's
appointment ... thank gawd for iPad's

http://www.rockler.com/imageGallery/...18_resized.JPG

http://kregjig.ning.com/photo/album/...rce=activit y

Exactly, but if you ask me go for the bessey clamp so you have auto
adjustment. You'll be glad you did.

--
Jeff