Posted to rec.woodworking

Default mothballs?

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Rat/Mouse exterminator.

Rent an ozone generator.

Seal room as best you can, place generator in center of room,
and make sure everybody has left the room.

Run the ozone generator for 2-3 days, then shuft off generator,
and allow ozone to completely escape room before attempting to
enter.

Does a great job getting rid of critters as well as mold.

Does a great job clearing out a boat interior.

One caveat.

Ozone plays hell with rubber.

Probably have to replace fan belts, hoses, etc.

"tiredofspam" wrote:

Think I'll skip that one Lew.

Then back to basics, D-Con.

It worked when I sold it in the hardware store back in the '50's.

Still does as far as I know.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2013 8:32 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
On 1/2/2013 10:54 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 1/1/2013 10:31 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
We used to have a cat that took care of that sort of thing for us. Then
she died. Then the rats came. Lots of traps, sealing the walls, under
the house, etc. For some reason they won't go in my garage. I think
that another cat has claimed that as his territory. Fine with me.

My solution? We got another cat. When we first got him as a kitten,
the rats were unimpressed. But it did not take long for growth and
natural born predator instincts to kick in. Now the little guy plays
with our dog all the time. They are best of buddies and burn up a lot
of energy (and calories). I tell my wife that he is training on the dog
to kill rats. Since he is now about half the size of the dog and much
bigger than a rat, he will do just fine. He will pounce on anything,
moving or not. I know it is old school, but it is the only that has
worked for me.

He may be. We had a lab that our cat taught how to work as a team to
catch what ever was available. The dog would play with anything. After
some time with the cat the cat had trained the dog to cover the
opposite exit while he went in the other. They were a team.

As far as closing up a building to prevent mice from getting in.

I have been told by the pest control people that if you can put a lead
pencil through the hole in the wall a mouse will come through it.

Pencil for the current techies is a piece of wood with a thin center of
graphite, or similar material that is used by some people to write in
cursive on paper or other material. Cursive is the squiggly form of
making letters. They can not be made from a touch table or keyboard. ;-)

I though dogs were hunters and knew that already.
Whenever I watch wolves hunt on the tv shows, you always see them
working as a team, a bunch always leave to cover escape routes while the
others push them to the kill zone.

Except this Lab. The rabbits would come into the yard and eat my wife's
flowers. Each morning she would go out and explain to the dog that He
was a dog and suppose to chase rabbits.

One night we came into the driveway, and the dog was chasing a rabbit
across the yard. My wife was excited to see the dog doing his job.
Just as she was about to get out of the car and praise the dog for doing
a good job, when the dog stopped, the rabbit stopped, both turned
around, and the rabbit proceeded to chase the dog back across the yard.
We did not disturb then as they seemed to be having fun.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote

Except this Lab. The rabbits would come into the yard and eat my wife's
flowers. Each morning she would go out and explain to the dog that He was
a dog and suppose to chase rabbits.

One night we came into the driveway, and the dog was chasing a rabbit
across the yard. My wife was excited to see the dog doing his job. Just
as she was about to get out of the car and praise the dog for doing a good
job, when the dog stopped, the rabbit stopped, both turned around, and the
rabbit proceeded to chase the dog back across the yard. We did not
disturb then as they seemed to be having fun.

Sounds like my dog. He wants to play with anything that moves. Cats,
squirrels, kids, adults, cars, blowing leaves, etc. We keep him on a leash
when out in the world.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 20:36:01 -0500, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

On 1/1/2013 10:30 PM, Pat wrote:
I use poison. I have some in the shop however I keep plenty outside in
the yard. My preference is to kill them before they get inside.

That won't work here. My dog means more to me than the mice.
He's getting on in years at 13, but still tries to act like a pup.
Anyway he's going to break my heart when he goes, the last thing I want
to do is kill him instead of the mice.

I have two 13yr old Samoyeds, brothers, it's tough when they get
older. They use to pull me on scooters and skis, follow me all over
even on the tractor. It's been down in the 20's here lately and we
all just hang out around the fire trying to keep our old bones warm.
But if the squirels are around that is great fun for them. I try not
to think of the going part, but one has just about lost his hip and
the other has a torn ACL.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

tommyboy wrote in news:nc78e81lj5i7si3gtok09f9s13o6129va8@
4ax.com:

snip
In the summer, I use my Ratzappers to keep the chipmunk population
under control.

Likewise. I do get the occasional mouse as well. Dried corn works well as
bait. The downside is that you have to keep them out of the rain.

Doug White

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/4/2013 4:23 PM, Doug White wrote:
tommyboy wrote in news:nc78e81lj5i7si3gtok09f9s13o6129va8@
4ax.com:

snip
In the summer, I use my Ratzappers to keep the chipmunk population
under control.

Likewise. I do get the occasional mouse as well. Dried corn works well as
bait. The downside is that you have to keep them out of the rain.

Ratzapper sells (surprise, surprise) an outdoor housing for their
equipment. From what I see, a polystyrene bread box or something
similar (with appropriate entrance/exit holes and removable lid would
work as well. As it's for outdoor use, size of the container should not
be critical.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, keep the poison out of the house. I stopped using it after a
mouse died inside my wall. 6 weeks of rotting cadaver in the house
was too much. There was no way to get it out.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
Never again.
--
Jim in NC
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofspam View Post
I have a mouse problem in my garage, I've tried the electronic
pesticide.. it's not working well. The mice come in for the winter and
have destroyed my cabin air filters.

I have found the droppings each year since installing the electronic unit.

So now I am trying an old remedy of mothballs. I sprinkled them around
the garage perimeter, fortunately my dog won't go near them, he backed
away from the smell. And boy do they stink.

I think I read years ago that throwing one in a draw with tools kept the
rust away. Is this true?

I hate the smell but have a bunch left, and wondered if I can preseve
some tools by throwing a ball in there.

I also hate the smell of moth balls so I searched for an alternative. What I found is Peppermint oil. The smell is so much better and it is very much natural. The smell is intense for rodents and they will not go to places where they can smell it. Most grocery stores sell peppermint oil for a very low price and all you have to do is pour at least 2 drops of it on a cotton ball and place it where you found the droppings or at the corners of your garage.

Also, keep in mind that mouse loves to mess around places where they have places to hide so keep your garage tidy and clean. -yve

Last edited by yve lynch : January 29th 13 at 08:23 AM
Posted to rec.woodworking

"yve lynch" wrote in message ...

tiredofspam;2988896 Wrote:
I have a mouse problem in my garage, I've tried the electronic
pesticide.. it's not working well. The mice come in for the winter and
have destroyed my cabin air filters.

I also hate the smell of moth balls so I searched for an alternative.
What I found is Peppermint oil. The smell is so much better and it is

I used to end up with mice in my shop, basement, kitchen, wood storage shed
and equipment shed every winter... I used to set traps when I noticed
mouse/vole activity. However, I've now taken to leaving Victor traps, baited
with peanut butter, on shelves in the basement, shop and sheds through out
the year. I changed over to having baited traps in place all the time in the
house after catching 9 mice in my house in a 2 day period. I started doing
it in the sheds after taking a box of gutter/leader fittings off the shelf
and having two mice jump out... one ricocheted off my chest as it took off!
I laughed at that but cleaning up the mess was no fun.

I've had no luck keeping the mice and voles out by plugging holes or using
deterrents. So now the idea is to kill them before they breed!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"yve lynch" wrote in message ...

tiredofspam;2988896 Wrote:
[...]

Yours or the mouse's

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message ...

"I laughed at that but cleaning up the mess was no fun."

Yours or the mouse's

The mouse's... never been afraid of them or voles. Used to catch them in the
fields when I was a kid... bare handed one time. They were cute then. Now...
they are destructive, create smelly messes, and carry ticks and other
illness causing problems with them. Dead is fine...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , yve.lynch.b484869
@diybanter.com says...

tiredofspam;2988896 Wrote:
[...]

I've used a mixture of powdered sugar and plaster of paris. Usually
works very well. After eating they go home dying there.
But 20 years ago, we were called to a grade school where the pneumatic
temperature control system no longer worked. We discovered that mice or
rats had eaten some of the plastic tubing connected to the controls. We
repaired everything we found but still had leaks. The principal
suggested we use a little peppermint to smell the leaks we couldn't
hear. So we put 2 small drops into the inlet of the air compressor. The
smell was so strong throughout the school, they closed for 2 days! We
ended up running alot of new lines because we couldn't find the last of
the leaks.

Hold my beer and watch this...
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam;2988896 Wrote:
[...]

So much for good Ideas

I have had some like that that seemed much better before than after I
had acted on the idea.