Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HVLP paint spraying....

Awl --

Is it possible to turn a regular run-of-the-mill paint sprayer (siphon type,
used with a pressurized paint pot) into HVLP?
I'm thinking, just turn down the air pressure to the gun, turn up the
pressure to the paint pot??
It couldn't be that simple, could it?? LOL

Or is there a different atomization process in HVLP?
--
EA

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 7, 1:05*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
Awl --

Is it possible to turn a regular run-of-the-mill paint sprayer (siphon type,
used with a pressurized paint pot) into HVLP?
I'm thinking, just turn down the air pressure to the gun, turn up the
pressure to the paint pot??
It couldn't be that simple, could it?? *LOL

Or is there a different atomization process in HVLP?
--
EA

True HVLP guns use a turbine compressor, like a vacuum cleaner in
reverse, a big air hose and very low pressure. The finish just wafts
out of the gun. I got to play with one at a woodworking show, you
could control it about like an airbrush, the edges of the finish cloud
were that defined. Not much bounce-back from an interior surface,
either, like the inside of a cabinet. The demonstrator at that show
was touting it as being "green", suited to spraying water-based
lacquers and varnishes. I've also used one of the so-called HVLP
conversion guns that hook up to a regular compressor. They do take
less pressure, the ones I have are top-feed and have a whole lot more
overspray. They take less air, too, but aren't the same as a real HVLP
outfit. They can make an otherwise marginal compressor more useful.

You probably aren't going to turn a siphon-fed gun into any sort of
conversion gun. If you want one of the conversion guns to try out, HF
regularly blows them out on sale for $20 or so. Worth it if you just
want to try out the concept. You'll need the stand to load one,
though. HF had a real HVLP outfit for about $80, haven't looked
lately to see if it's still cataloged. Don't know how good it is,
either.

Stan
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

Is it possible to turn a regular run-of-the-mill paint sprayer
(siphon type, used with a pressurized paint pot) into HVLP?
I'm thinking, just turn down the air pressure to the gun, turn up the
pressure to the paint pot??
It couldn't be that simple, could it?? LOL

Or is there a different atomization process in HVLP?

Nope - not possible. Totally different design inside the gun in order to
achieve atomization at lower pressures. You didn't really think it could be
that easy did you?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

Is it possible to turn a regular run-of-the-mill paint sprayer
(siphon type, used with a pressurized paint pot) into HVLP?
I'm thinking, just turn down the air pressure to the gun, turn up the
pressure to the paint pot??
It couldn't be that simple, could it?? LOL

Or is there a different atomization process in HVLP?

Nope - not possible. Totally different design inside the gun in order to
achieve atomization at lower pressures. You didn't really think it could
be that easy did you?

I was hoping, I was hoping.... LOL

I see from Stans response that they are two diff. animals.
Inneresting how well-defined the edges are, in HVLP -- almost, well,
exciting!!
If the HF HVLP is only $80 and available, I might try it out.

Btw, that HF paint pot is *totally* different than using the siphon cup that
comes with the spray gun.
The siphon action simply can't deliver the volume/coverage that the
pressurized paint pot can. The regulator on the paint pot gives another
level of control, as well.

Later, I'll post my saga, learned quite a bit.
--
EA

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

Is it possible to turn a regular run-of-the-mill paint sprayer
(siphon type, used with a pressurized paint pot) into HVLP?
I'm thinking, just turn down the air pressure to the gun, turn up
the pressure to the paint pot??
It couldn't be that simple, could it?? LOL

Or is there a different atomization process in HVLP?

Nope - not possible. Totally different design inside the gun in
order to achieve atomization at lower pressures. You didn't really
think it could be that easy did you?

I was hoping, I was hoping.... LOL

I see from Stans response that they are two diff. animals.
Inneresting how well-defined the edges are, in HVLP -- almost, well,
exciting!!
If the HF HVLP is only $80 and available, I might try it out.

Be careful there , that HF HVLP may just be a grav feed gun with a big
orifice on the mixer cap . As Stanley says above those don't use a
traditional copressor usually .

Btw, that HF paint pot is *totally* different than using the siphon
cup that comes with the spray gun.
The siphon action simply can't deliver the volume/coverage that the
pressurized paint pot can. The regulator on the paint pot gives
another level of control, as well.

Later, I'll post my saga, learned quite a bit.

A cabinet shop I worked at used those pots for contact cement . Really puts
out some volume as you said .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Be careful there , that HF HVLP may just be a grav feed gun with a
big orifice on the mixer cap . As Stanley says above those don't use a
traditional copressor usually .

A conversion HVLP does indeed use a traditional compressor - albeit one with
a pretty good SCFM delivery rate. They are not just gravity feed guns with
a big orifice on the mixer cap - not even the HF models. A big orifice does
nothing to make HVLP. That error in judgement would be immediately obvious
with the first coat of paint. I've used the HF guns and though I wouldn't
trade my DeVilbiss for one of them, they are quite workable guns.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/7/2012 6:23 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Snag wrote:

Be careful there , that HF HVLP may just be a grav feed gun with a
big orifice on the mixer cap . As Stanley says above those don't use a
traditional copressor usually .

A conversion HVLP does indeed use a traditional compressor - albeit one with
a pretty good SCFM delivery rate. They are not just gravity feed guns with
a big orifice on the mixer cap - not even the HF models. A big orifice does
nothing to make HVLP. That error in judgement would be immediately obvious
with the first coat of paint. I've used the HF guns and though I wouldn't
trade my DeVilbiss for one of them, they are quite workable guns.

Agreed. I have a HF and a devilbiss and a binks.
The binks is the top of the line.

The HF is not a true conversion gun. Its very good for the price, but it
is still a higher pressure than a true conversion gun.

I have been using the HF gun because I thought I would try it.. then I
realized I can leave shellac in the container full time... when I need
to I clean it.. when it won't clean out ... I'll throw it away..

I would never do that with my Devilbiss or Binks.. I'll leave solvents
in for a while of continuous use day by day.. but not long term.

The HVLP are very good sprayers. But they are very expensive for a good
one. Don't believe that a cheap plastic unit will do it, it won't.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Snag wrote:

Be careful there , that HF HVLP may just be a grav feed gun with a
big orifice on the mixer cap . As Stanley says above those don't use a
traditional copressor usually .

A conversion HVLP does indeed use a traditional compressor - albeit one
with a pretty good SCFM delivery rate. They are not just gravity feed
guns with a big orifice on the mixer cap - not even the HF models. A big
orifice does nothing to make HVLP. That error in judgement would be
immediately obvious with the first coat of paint. I've used the HF guns
and though I wouldn't trade my DeVilbiss for one of them, they are quite
workable guns.

--

-Mike-

Conversion HVLP works OK, but is a big waste of energy compared to using a
turbine. The turbine also delivers drier air.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

[...]

How expensive is expensive?
How low could I go, and still get serviceable true HVLP?
--
EA

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/7/2012 3:45 PM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:

HF had a real HVLP outfit for about $80, haven't looked
lately to see if it's still cataloged. Don't know how good it is,
either.

Stan

It's still there and it still works just fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

[...]

A hundred bucks?

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

And well worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
Snag wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm..... only a 1 qt cup....
Could I use my HF paint pot with this, and pressurize the paint pot just
enough to deliver paint to the gun?
Or does the turbine air need to "meter" the paint by itself?

Does this unit give sharp edges as someone else had mentioned?

How bout this unit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-93305.html
Is this the conversion kit referred to? It seems it uses regular compressed
air, a 64 oz bottle.
Seems to work just like my pressurized paint pot. Any comments, experience
with this?

My paint pot:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-h...ank-66839.html
--
EA

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:
On 11/7/2012 3:45 PM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:

HF had a real HVLP outfit for about $80, haven't looked
lately to see if it's still cataloged. Don't know how good it is,
either.

Stan

It's still there and it still works just fine.

I have a couple HF conversion guns, The older 43430 and a current model
66222. Both work well for the price. They are knock-offs of SATA. You do
have to look them over close before you buy though. There are problems
with the passages being drilled off center on some. Not a good thing.

I also have a set of the 94572 They are not a bad gun, they are a
knockoff of Iwata units (Although Iwata are also made in China so these
may be from the same plant, just the other side and re-badged)

Here is some helpful info on setting one up and what to look for.
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...Pspraygun.html

They work pretty good for base/clear paint. But like all the hybrids you
need a bunch of air to make the work properly.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

Is it possible to turn a regular run-of-the-mill paint sprayer
(siphon type, used with a pressurized paint pot) into HVLP?
I'm thinking, just turn down the air pressure to the gun, turn up
the pressure to the paint pot??
It couldn't be that simple, could it?? LOL

Or is there a different atomization process in HVLP?

Nope - not possible. Totally different design inside the gun in
order to achieve atomization at lower pressures. You didn't really
think it could be that easy did you?

I was hoping, I was hoping.... LOL

I see from Stans response that they are two diff. animals.
Inneresting how well-defined the edges are, in HVLP -- almost, well,
exciting!!
If the HF HVLP is only $80 and available, I might try it out.

They raised the price to $120. It is on sale now for $99.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
Snag wrote:

[...]

Nope. It's a complete system.
I doubt other guns would physically fit.

And yes, it works quite well.
Does everything I've tried to do with it...

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

So $80 with the Sunday 20% coupon in the paper.

I've used the HF conversion guns for spraying a lot of shellac on
small woodworking projects, work well for that. The local Rockler has
small pointy supports for doing that sort of thing. Wouldn't want to
try doing a house or a car with the things, but for my small stuff,
they work OK. Nice thing about shellac is the easy cleanup. Even if
the stuff dries in the gun, you can get it going again with a little
alcohol.

Stan
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article a0fe4cc4-6044-40a1-a915-08685483c606
@j18g2000yqf.googlegroups.com, says...

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

If you're considering a HF HVLP sprayer, try TCPGLobal instead
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/tcpgate.aspx.

Seem to be the same as Harbor Freight and TCP keeps the parts and
different sized needles and aircaps in stock. Went to them when HF
couldn't provide me a larger needle and cap for the purple gun.
Incidentally, the one that came with the TCP gun fits my HF gun just
fine. YMMV.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 8, 6:12 am, wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
"Mike wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

That is NOT the same as the HF system I posted a.

Those are guns - no compressor.