Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Probable final solution

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
My guess is that anybody smart enough to be in the airplane business
knows how to protect one, even if it is just a model ... like maybe
having displays behind roped off areas, you reckon?

Almost a guarantee, eh?

I attend several model engineering shows every year and every display has
ropes, or other means, to prevent visitors damaging displays. Sure, in
many cases an adult visitor might be able to reach over and touch but
visitors to these shows all have respect for the amount of work invested
in a model. Most stands are run by clubs and members are always on hand to
answer questions and keep a watchful eye.

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Set Screws vs. Cap Screws

In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
Thought of that too and the threads will not matter at that point.
Filing would help but I personally will not be setting this display up
over and over and the depth of the mounting stud "in the airplane
itself" will be ever changing, which would change the location of the
flat spot on the rod.

Now if only I could find a key way slotted threaded rod.....

Sign up the the Yahoo 7x12 minilathe group or the Yahoo X series mills
group and ask. Someone will probably produce some for you. About a 5min
job on a mill. If you were near me in the UK I'd do it for a couple of
beers.

I've made sawdust a long time but a couple of years ago bought a cheap
Asian 7x12 minilathe and a tiny X1 mill (Now have a much bigger
mill/drill) and I've taken to making swarf too.

For so long there was the situation "what I need for this job is....". Now
I just make it. Absolutly great. I can be completely free and imaginative
about the way I can tackle projects.

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Sonny wrote:
Can the 8mm threaded rod be bent very easily?

Yes, if you have access to a blacksmith's forge or maybe an Oxy-acetylene
torch

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 23:45:07 +0000 (GMT), Stuart
wrote:

In article ,
Sonny wrote:
Can the 8mm threaded rod be bent very easily?

Yes, if you have access to a blacksmith's forge or maybe an Oxy-acetylene
torch

A good mapp or even propane torch can handle bending 8mm mild steel
allthread with no problem. It can even be bent cold as long as the
radius is not too tight and it isn't made in China
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2012 2:38 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 09:26:06 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

If those dimensions are correct, I'd be terrified of someone brushing
against one of those wings as they were walking by and ripping a plane
from its foundations.

My preference would be to organize a strong enough mounting bracket
and mount the planes vertically or sideways higher up on a wall.

Not my call.