Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Ode To The Colonoscopy

Ode To The Colonoscopy

At my age a colonoscopy is usually performed at five year intervals
unless
polyps are found, then it is a three year interval.

I'm on three year intervals.

Three years ago was my first colonoscopy and some benign polyps were
found,
thus it was time again for another colonoscopy.

You know the routine.

Eat nothing the day before the exam.

The night before, drink a about a liter pf "radiator flush" solution
designed to flush
a 30 foot long tube consisting of your intestines and colon.

This last time around had a little problem.

The standard size "radiator flush" didn't do the job and the
colonoscopy had to be aborted.

Two weeks later, time for a repeat performance except this time a
SUPER
"radiator flush" (larger size, about two liters) and an extra days
prep.

This is something you don't want to wish on your worst enemy.

Even "Super flush" wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.

On the way home way ready to eat the rear end out of a skunk, so
stopped a
got an order of greasy, gooey, chili cheese fries.

Cholesterol be damned, this was survival and they sure did taste good.

Repeat performance in 2 tears since they removed a few polyps.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Ode To The Colonoscopy

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
Ode To The Colonoscopy

At my age a colonoscopy is usually performed at five year intervals unless
polyps are found, then it is a three year interval.

To me the horrors of the procedure are over rated. I'm on the 5 yr interval
and although the prep's no fun the actual procedure isn't bad for me.
Excellent (legal) drugs, no pain and I find it rather interesting viewing
the exploration of my own colon on my own little monitor. For me the most
unpleasant part of the whole thing is coughing up the 20% that ins doesn't
cover. And as Lew stated, the feast on the way home is SO good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

The standard size "radiator flush" didn't do the job and the
colonoscopy had to be aborted.

Even "Super flush" wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.

Oh geeze Lew - you left yourself wide open with that one! You just have to
know that someone is going to say something about you being full of ****...
But - I like you (weird Democrat that you are...), so of course, I won't be
the one to say it.

On the way home way ready to eat the rear end out of a skunk, so
stopped a
got an order of greasy, gooey, chili cheese fries.

That's funny. That has become our very routine! My wife goes with me for
the procedure (I think she takes some sort of pleasure in knowing I'm going
through this kind of thing...), and we head immediately to the local fast
food joint for the stuff that we normally don't eat. We both use my
"experience" as a convenient excuse to behave badly.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:

To me the horrors of the procedure are over rated. I'm on the 5 yr
interval and although the prep's no fun the actual procedure isn't
bad for me. Excellent (legal) drugs, no pain and I find it rather
interesting viewing the exploration of my own colon on my own little
monitor. For me the most unpleasant part of the whole thing is
coughing up the 20% that ins doesn't cover. And as Lew stated, the
feast on the way home is SO good.

I'm back on the 5 year plan too, and I don't find it at all horrific. I
wake up, and it's all over. No horror at all...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:49:21 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

That's funny. That has become our very routine! My wife goes with me
for the procedure (I think she takes some sort of pleasure in knowing
I'm going through this kind of thing...), and we head immediately to the
local fast food joint for the stuff that we normally don't eat. We both
use my "experience" as a convenient excuse to behave badly.

There's a place not far from my gut guy's office that advertises "no one
goes away hungry" - like 6 egg omelets for example. Cowards can wimp out
to a half order, but after a colonoscopy I've never had any problem
finishing anything on their menu :-).

carrying a cross.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

There's a place not far from my gut guy's office that advertises "no
one goes away hungry" - like 6 egg omelets for example. Cowards can
wimp out to a half order, but after a colonoscopy I've never had any
problem finishing anything on their menu :-).

As it should be!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

There's an alternative to the two liter prep swallow -- Fleet kit.
Although my doc wants me to suffer through the big gulp, I've
convinced him that I can get sufficiently prepped with Fleet. This is
a pill and a one ounce swallow. You still spend the entire night on
the porcelein bowl, but without the aftertaste.
At this point, next episode won't be till 2014.

Who knows what time will bring.

Thanks for the tip.

Lew