Posted to rec.woodworking

Default shop progress

Rain finally let up long enough for block work to
begin.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/newshop.html

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:24:01 GMT, basilisk
wrote:

Rain finally let up long enough for block work to
begin.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/newshop.html

Oh, job supervisor. I was gonna say, Luther doesn't look nearly
strong enough or large enough to swing that block onto the wall.

Congrats on more progress.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/5/2012 5:24 PM, basilisk wrote:
Rain finally let up long enough for block work to
begin.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/newshop.html

basilisk

Where are you located?
Around here we put footings in, build the structure, then pour the floor.

I have not seen a floor poured and then the block built on top of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:40:19 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

On 9/5/2012 5:24 PM, basilisk wrote:
Rain finally let up long enough for block work to begin.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/newshop.html

basilisk

Where are you located?
Around here we put footings in, build the structure, then pour the
floor.

I have not seen a floor poured and then the block built on top of it.

Alabama, slab on grade, common construction method here as frost heaving
is practically nonexistent. House built on grade would have footings
poured, 2 or 3 high block perimeter layed with form blocks and then floor
poured with wood framing going up from there.

Light commercial and garages, etc, are built just as I am doing.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 15:23:32 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:24:01 GMT, basilisk wrote:

Rain finally let up long enough for block work to begin.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/newshop.html

Oh, job supervisor. I was gonna say, Luther doesn't look nearly strong
enough or large enough to swing that block onto the wall.

Congrats on more progress.

Thanks, I meant to warn the masons what a vicious overlord they
would have to deal with, maybe he didn't deal them too much misery.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 00:33:53 GMT, basilisk
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 15:23:32 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:24:01 GMT, basilisk wrote:

Rain finally let up long enough for block work to begin.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/newshop.html

Oh, job supervisor. I was gonna say, Luther doesn't look nearly strong
enough or large enough to swing that block onto the wall.

Congrats on more progress.

Thanks, I meant to warn the masons what a vicious overlord they
would have to deal with, maybe he didn't deal them too much misery.

A couple pats on the head or scratches of the neck, or a doggie
biscuit would have made short work of that evil supervisor, huh?

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:24:01 GMT, basilisk
Rain finally let up long enough for block work to
begin.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/newshop.html

Betcha it's going up too slow he? You could put a dozen people on it
and it would still go up too slow.

As to Luther, I'm thinking he's found himself a new dog house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 02:37:21 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:24:01 GMT, basilisk
Rain finally let up long enough for block work to
begin.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/newshop.html

Betcha it's going up too slow he? You could put a dozen people on it
and it would still go up too slow.

Yeah, It would be great if it was finished now, I'm building this mostly
out of income and only a little from savings, expensive parts of the
work will have to slow to a crawl after block work is done.

That gives me time to get the roll up door lintels poured, electrical
trenched in and water run while funds build back up.

As to Luther, I'm thinking he's found himself a new dog house.

Luther was near wild, starved and hairless when my wife caught him a
couple of years ago, she got bit numerous times in the process.
Since that time, Luther has become enlightened to the benefits
of being a pet, consumate beggar and constant companion.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 07:12:51 -0500, basilisk
Since that time, Luther has become enlightened to the benefits
of being a pet, consumate beggar and constant companion.

And who said dogs are dumb?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2012 8:12 AM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

You didn't run water and electric lines before pouring the concrete?
You going to saw the slab apart???
Dig under the edge?????

If you are going to do that stuff, why not do it before you pour?

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

You didn't run water and electric lines before pouring the concrete?
You going to saw the slab apart???
Dig under the edge?????

If you are going to do that stuff, why not do it before you pour?

Why? The only thing you normally run under a slab on grade in most parts of
the country (US) is sewer lines .. If there are no toilets, sinks or
showers, no real need to run anything.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

You didn't run water and electric lines before pouring the concrete?
You going to saw the slab apart???
Dig under the edge?????

If you are going to do that stuff, why not do it before you pour?

Why? The only thing you normally run under a slab on grade in most
parts of the country (US) is sewer lines .. If there are no toilets,
sinks or showers, no real need to run anything.

Around here it is common to find all of the utilities run under and up
through the slab on grade.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:12:12 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

[...]

No real need, I'm not going to have anything but one hand washing sink
and it can drain out back(one of the advantages of living in the middle
of nowhere), I would not run water line under the slab anyway, a leak
under a slab can cause an enormous amount of damage before you know it.
There are ways to protect from this, but mostly much to do about nothing
around here.

The electrical will stub up and go through the wall, with branch wiring
in conduit run overhead or along the wall, more flexible and future
changeable that way.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2012 8:43 PM, Swingman wrote:
tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

You didn't run water and electric lines before pouring the concrete?
You going to saw the slab apart???
Dig under the edge?????

If you are going to do that stuff, why not do it before you pour?

Why? The only thing you normally run under a slab on grade in most parts of
the country (US) is sewer lines .. If there are no toilets, sinks or
showers, no real need to run anything.

So you run your water lines above grade?
Maybe down there where there are no freezing temps,
But here it is run underground. And if slab construction, under the
slab.

If you have a basement the pipes ingress is about 3 -4 feet below the
grade into the wall.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2012 9:37 PM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

I think part of the reason for coming up through the slab is for freeze
protection of the water lines. If you live in an area where freeze
protection is not needed, I see no reason you could not drill through
the slab and bring the line up through an outside wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
On 9/6/2012 8:43 PM, Swingman wrote:
tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

You didn't run water and electric lines before pouring the concrete?
You going to saw the slab apart???
Dig under the edge?????

If you are going to do that stuff, why not do it before you pour?

Why? The only thing you normally run under a slab on grade in most parts of
the country (US) is sewer lines .. If there are no toilets, sinks or
showers, no real need to run anything.

So you run your water lines above grade?
Maybe down there where there are no freezing temps,
But here it is run underground. And if slab construction, under the
slab.

If you have a basement the pipes ingress is about 3 -4 feet below the grade into the wall.

Makes sense with a basement, but we're discussing a slab on grade. Water
lines in most modern residential slab on grade construction these days are
indeed generally run underground to the slab, then tied into the house
plumbing with an insulated riser and cutoff valve.

An expensive scenario for a homeowner with a slab on grade is a broken
water pipe _under_ said slab ... although it was once common, it has proven
to be overall a patently foolish practice in most areas, makes little sense
in asking for that kind of trouble.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 21:58:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Mine isn't. Its run under the slab to (under) the manifold. The water line
in my VT house ran under the basement floor, then up to the shut-off. Th6e
frost line can really go down (over 7' some years).

An expensive scenario for a homeowner with a slab on grade is a broken
water pipe _under_ said slab ... although it was once common, it has proven
to be overall a patently foolish practice in most areas, makes little sense
in asking for that kind of trouble.

Yet it's done all the time. I have Pex run under the slab, in this house,
too.