Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default shop building progress update...we have a partial erection!

http://home.comcast.net/~mcrump1/ind...es/Page487.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~mcrump1/ind...es/Page487.htm

Nice photos, Mike. I like Moose and the ultralight. I'm in the process
of building an "Afford-A-Plane" myself. It's kind of a misnomer because
of the current price of aluminum. It's getting to the point where it's
a "Can't-Afford-A-Plane". :-) Where was the old house and where is the
new house? I must have missed that somewhere or forgot (OFD - Old
Fart's Disease).

Jim Chandler
Apple Valley, CA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

mike wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~mcrump1/ind...es/Page487.htm

Nice photos, Mike. I like Moose and the ultralight. I'm in the process
of building an "Afford-A-Plane" myself. It's kind of a misnomer because
of the current price of aluminum. It's getting to the point where it's
a "Can't-Afford-A-Plane". :-) Where was the old house and where is the
new house? I must have missed that somewhere or forgot (OFD - Old
Fart's Disease).

Jim Chandler
Apple Valley, CA

Why did you pick the A-Plane, Jim?
Just curious.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

mike wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~mcrump1/ind...es/Page487.htm

Nice photos, Mike. I like Moose and the ultralight. I'm in the
process of building an "Afford-A-Plane" myself. It's kind of a
misnomer because of the current price of aluminum. It's getting to
the point where it's a "Can't-Afford-A-Plane". :-) Where was the old
house and where is the new house? I must have missed that somewhere
or forgot (OFD - Old Fart's Disease).

Jim Chandler
Apple Valley, CA

Why did you pick the A-Plane, Jim?
Just curious.

Richard

I picked the A-Plane primarily based on the supposed cost to build
versus the cost of others. I have the fuselage frame built and am
working on the floorboards now. I was going to try to use a Honda
Goldwing 1100cc engine in it but, try as I might, by taking all the
tranny and accessories out, I still couldn't get it down past 135
pounds. Oh well, back to the drawing boards. The A-Plane website,
www.affordaplane.com was also a factor. I liked the looks of it and the
Yahoo group, "Cheap Airplanes 2" has been a big help. I'm hoping to get
it going by next spring so I can take it down on the border and use it
for aerial surveillance with the Minuteman Civil Defense Corp. (the good
ones, not the whackos).

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://home.comcast.net/~mcrump1/ind...es/Page487.htm

Great pictures. I know what the blue barrels of water on the hydraulic
lift are for :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

I picked the A-Plane primarily based on the supposed cost to build
versus the cost of others. I have the fuselage frame built and am
working on the floorboards now. I was going to try to use a Honda
Goldwing 1100cc engine in it but, try as I might, by taking all the
tranny and accessories out, I still couldn't get it down past 135
pounds. Oh well, back to the drawing boards. The A-Plane website,
www.affordaplane.com was also a factor.

I cruised the web site and that one looked interesting. I'd have to lose a
few # to fit fully dressed in the allowance for passenger weight but wow
what an incentive.

I've kept a '80 Scorpion whip snowmobile engine around with at Cuyuna
(formerly JLO) 440 air cooled engine in case that could power a plane for
me.

I couldn't find Cheap Airplanes 2 on yahoo groups. Could you provide a
direct link, may be a problem with spelling or spaces.

I wanted to build a Avid Flyer but changes in economics killed that one. A
Whitman Tailwind was another one I liked. I had the privilege of listening
to Steve talk at EAA Oshkosh a few times. He was a true gentleman in every
sense of the word.

Keep us updated on your progress with the airplane project.

Wes

EAA Member since 1987