Andrew V

Default Shop plans update

Some might remember my posting about building my workshop/garage into a
hillside bank-barn style, well after much consideration and planning I'm
going to abandon that idea in favor of a 30 x 50 steel frame on a flat part
of the yard. The design for the hill side structure required lots of
concrete @ approx $100 per yd. Even with my involvement in digging and
forming I would of had $20K in the 1st floor walls/foundation, floor slab
and 2" toping w/spancrete planks & still needed to build the second
floor/roof. After looking around I found I can purchase a 30 x 50 steel
frame 14' wall and put it on a slab for about the $20k and have money left
for new tools ect. Anyway I'm thinking about a Heritage steel frame
www.heritagebuildings.com ) if I order from a distance or possibility an
Armor ( www.armorsteelbuildings.com ) as there is a local dealer. The local
dealer is new, has not sold any buildings yet and gave me a substantially
higher price (30%) on the basic parts. His protests aside I can't see any
major differences in the design or materials and I gave them both the same
specs. I do realize it would be nice to have a local on the hook if I run
into problems but I'm don't feel it's worth 30% more, plus if he hasn't sold
and built any yet then he's in the same place I am. If anyone has
experience with Heritage or Armor good or bad I'd like to hear about it,
also any first hand metal building tales would be good too.

Thanks

Andrew

Jim & Hils

Andrew,
My neighbor has a 40x60 Wedgcor http://www.wedgcor.com/ steel building. I
think he put it up around 1994 or 5 and it cost him $18000. He is very
happy with it and said the customer service is good. (He had a slight
problem with a window support and they fixed it quickly.)
His purchase price does not include erection costs because he borrowed a
winch from me and made an *A* frame to lift the pieces into place.
Cheers,
Jim
(In Sequim, WA with the ICF house)

"Andrew V" wrote in message
[...]

Andrew V

"Jim & Hils" wrote in message
Andrew,
My neighbor has a 40x60 Wedgcor http://www.wedgcor.com/ steel building.
I think he put it up around 1994 or 5 and it cost him $18000. He is very
happy with it and said the customer service is good. (He had a slight
problem with a window support and they fixed it quickly.)
His purchase price does not include erection costs because he borrowed a
winch from me and made an *A* frame to lift the pieces into place.
Cheers,
Jim
(In Sequim, WA with the ICF house)

Thanks for the link Jim, I'll take a look. I'm finding that many of the
steel frame companies only design the buildings and then the steel work is
done at mills on either coast. Several of the ones I've spoken to all shop
from the same town in PA. I was looking forward to using ICF's and building
into the hillside but the costs will be much more reasonable w/ a steel
frame on the flat.

enjoy

Andrew

Mike Fields

One suggestion I would make -- put your outlets at least 4-1/2 feet up
from the floor. That way, you can lean 4 * 8 sheets of "stuff" against
the walls without covering up the outlets. Nothing more irritating than
realizing all the outlets are behind something!

mikey