Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kreg pocket holes not drilling cleanly

I'm a Kreg novice. I've now used the system for 2 projects and a couple
of small utility shelves. It's very convenient. But the holes,
especially in solid wood, don't drill cleanly. Specifically, the
left-hand edge of each hole (that's the side that the drill bit cutting
edge would be "emerging" from, as opposed to the side that the bit edge
would enter the wood) comes out raggedy-looking. Here's a photo, which
is not terribly detailed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...n/photostream/

I cleaned them up a bit with a utility knife before I took the photo.
They end up with thin "fingers" of wood over the hole at the left edge.
If I ever use pocket hole s even inside a cabinet, I'd like them to be a
little neater.

These holes aren't going to show; this is a "frame" to hide the ugly
plaster hole left by the guys who put a through-the-wall air conditioner
in my Mom's house. In this case, the wood is maple. But it did the same
sort of thing in pine. I think I used a cordless drill this time, but
used a corded one (higher rpm, I think) with similar results on the last
project.

I will add the tally on this bit is only maybe 100 holes. Any ideas?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
[...]

That happens to me occasionally too. The jig is supposed to fit
tightly to the wood and provide a backer to minimize this. However,
when I get careless and leave a bit of sawdust between the jig & the
wood I get what you describe. If you don't clamp the jig tightly enough
or if the jig is worn you would likely get it too.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2012 2:24 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

These holes aren't going to show; this is a "frame" to hide the ugly
plaster hole left by the guys who put a through-the-wall air conditioner
in my Mom's house. In this case, the wood is maple. But it did the same
sort of thing in pine. I think I used a cordless drill this time, but
used a corded one (higher rpm, I think) with similar results on the last
project.

The grain of the wood is most likely what is causing the problem ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2012 4:22 PM, Artemus wrote:
[...]

Sawdust, huh? That could be. I use their "vise-grip" style clamp, and I
clamp it pretty hard, but I may not blow out the dust completely,
especially between adjacent holes. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:24:19 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

[...]

Are you drilling the complete hole in one pass? Are you going part
way in and then pulling the bit back out to clear the debris and then
continuing the drilling? If you are drilling the complete hole in one
pass without clearing the debris that could be part of the problem...
especially in hard wood.

Are you sure your fixture is securely clamped to the work? If not
that could be contributing to the problem too.

If it isn't either one of those situations it's gotta be gremlins.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari.../in/photostrea
m/

I cleaned them up a bit with a utility knife before I took the photo.
They end up with thin "fingers" of wood over the hole at the left
edge. If I ever use pocket hole s even inside a cabinet, I'd like them
to be a little neater.

These holes aren't going to show; this is a "frame" to hide the ugly
plaster hole left by the guys who put a through-the-wall air
conditioner in my Mom's house. In this case, the wood is maple. But it
did the same sort of thing in pine. I think I used a cordless drill
this time, but used a corded one (higher rpm, I think) with similar
results on the last project.

I will add the tally on this bit is only maybe 100 holes. Any ideas?

I'm a novice to the Kreg jig as well, and just figured it was the
"nature of the beast." The dozen and a half I drilled for my last
project cleaned up really nicely with some 220 grit paper in a palm
sander.

Maybe a few of the tricks that work for other things would help here.
Tape, perhaps? Or maybe a thin piece of wood placed over the place
where you're drilling so the ragged edge occurs on the piece rather than
the work piece?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If I ever use pocket hole s even inside a cabinet, I'd like them to be a little neater.

Good form would dictate that pocket holes are only on the back side of face frames and other non-visible locations of cabinets. They do sell the plugs but that is kind of cheesy and you should just use a better joint.

I did use them on to connect the upper bookshelf sides, down to the counter top of lower cabs on some built-ins. I considered plugs but just ended up covering them with some thin trim that looks like some perfectly natural interior base molding.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If I ever use pocket hole s even inside a cabinet, I'd like them to be a little neater.

Good form would dictate that pocket holes are only on the back side
of face frames and other non-visible locations of cabinets. They do
sell the plugs but that is kind of cheesy and you should just use a
better joint.

I did use them on to connect the upper bookshelf sides, down to the
counter top of lower cabs on some built-ins. I considered plugs but
just ended up covering them with some thin trim that looks like some
perfectly natural interior base molding.

I agree... even with plugs, these are something not to be seen.
I used them on the outer surface of the cabinet in my bathroom(s)
remodel but they are invisible, because that surface is painted. Point
being, it's not really something to worry about since they are either on
unseen surfaces or the fuzz will be sanded off during paint prep.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
If I ever use pocket hole s even inside a cabinet, I'd like them to be a
little neater.

Good form would dictate that pocket holes are only on the back side of
face frames and other non-visible locations of cabinets. They do sell the
plugs but that is kind of cheesy and you should just use a better joint.

I did use them on to connect the upper bookshelf sides, down to the
counter top of lower cabs on some built-ins. I considered plugs but just
ended up covering them with some thin trim that looks like some perfectly
natural interior base molding.

I cannot recall ever using them where I was worried about the looks of the
hole edges... either it was rough work where I didn't care period, or it was
concealed by later work. If appearance matters I use mortise and tenon or
handcut dovetails... To some degree I have lately used corrugated fasteners
where I formerly would have used Kreg screws... keep things together to
assist in assembly and/or hold hidden pieces together while the glue holding
plywood skins dried. But that's me...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari.../h/in/photostr...

[...]

That's how I do it. It doesn't really seem possible to do it in one
pass.

If you are drilling the complete hole in one
pass without clearing the debris that could be part of the problem...
especially in hard wood.

Are you sure your fixture is securely clamped to the work? *If not
that could be contributing to the problem too.

Seems secure. My tendency is to err on the side of overtightening
things.

If it isn't either one of those situations it's gotta be gremlins.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Gordon Shumway
wrote:

Are you drilling the complete hole in one pass? Are you going part
way in and then pulling the bit back out to clear the debris and then
continuing the drilling? If you are drilling the complete hole in one
pass without clearing the debris that could be part of the problem...
especially in hard wood.

That's my experience. You do need to retract and clear.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/12 12:00 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Gordon Shumway
wrote:

Are you drilling the complete hole in one pass? Are you going part
way in and then pulling the bit back out to clear the debris and then
continuing the drilling? If you are drilling the complete hole in one
pass without clearing the debris that could be part of the problem...
especially in hard wood.

That's my experience. You do need to retract and clear.

If you set up a shop-vac on this thing, it'll take care of that.
If anyone is looking to get into pocket hole joinery, spend the extra
bucks on the dust collection attachments or rig something up at home.
It makes all the difference in the world.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE-
wrote:

If you set up a shop-vac on this thing, it'll take care of that.
If anyone is looking to get into pocket hole joinery, spend the extra
bucks on the dust collection attachments or rig something up at home.
It makes all the difference in the world.

I have the attachment, but in my experience it's ineffective, the hose
attachment is badly positioned, and honestly, I don't need the
additional noise. A quick swoosh with a bench brush works faster,
cleaner, and quieter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/12 8:31 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , -MIKE-
wrote:

If you set up a shop-vac on this thing, it'll take care of that.
If anyone is looking to get into pocket hole joinery, spend the extra
bucks on the dust collection attachments or rig something up at home.
It makes all the difference in the world.

I have the attachment, but in my experience it's ineffective, the hose
attachment is badly positioned, and honestly, I don't need the
additional noise. A quick swoosh with a bench brush works faster,
cleaner, and quieter.

It must be a bad design, because when I simply hold my vac against the
ports of the jig, it clears out most of the muck from the bit/hole....
at least enough to keep me from having to re-plunge the bit several
times to make a clean hole.

I'm curious how a bench brush clear debris from the hole while drilling,
allowing you to drill a clean hole in one pass? :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Any rotating cutter will tend to tear/lift/fuzz the grain on the exit side
especially when cutting cross grain. The only way to avoid it is to
completely back up the edge...think router and edge grain where you use a
sacrificial block.

You can mitigate it to a greater or lesser extent by toughening the wood
surface where it is going to tear or fuzz. On a saw, masking tape helps a
bit, not likely to help in your case. You can also score it. For you, the
easiest/best(?) way would to spray on a coat of lacquer and let it dry well
before drilling. Hardly worth the bother given the ease of knocking off the
fuzz with sandpaper if it bothers you.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2012 9:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
t must be a bad design, because when I simply hold my vac against the
ports of the jig, it clears out most of the muck from the bit/hole....
at least enough to keep me from having to re-plunge the bit several
times to make a clean hole.

I've drilled literally thousands of pocket holes in cabinet face frames
the past ten plus years, and since I started using my Festool CT22E dust
extractor attached to the Kreg Jig Master system dust port a few of
years back, I have not seen a speck of drill sawdust when drilling
pocket screw holes ... I mean 99.99 non-existent.

BTW, although I have a spare drill bit, it remains unused. IOW, I've
drilled all those holes with the same drill bit I got with my initial
Kreg jig about 2000, and it still cuts as cleanly as it did on day one.

As far as the original post, and once again for the record, the grain of
the wood is IME biggest part of the OP's issue with tear out on the exit
side of the cutting edge of the bit ...usually most prominent when
drilling into any flat sawn faces at an angle.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

1. Use a good 3/8 "corded" drill, battery drills just don't spin
up fast enough for a clean hole.
2. Have a good sharp bit.
3. Cross grain will cause a little fuzzy edges at times.
4. Use the dust collector if your model supports it.

Your picture appears to be white pine which is tough to get
a good sharp edge on.

On 8/20/2012 12:24 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I'm a Kreg novice. I've now used the system for 2 projects and a couple
of small utility shelves. It's very convenient. But the holes,
especially in solid wood, don't drill cleanly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2012 8:31 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , -MIKE-
wrote:

If you set up a shop-vac on this thing, it'll take care of that.
If anyone is looking to get into pocket hole joinery, spend the extra
bucks on the dust collection attachments or rig something up at home.
It makes all the difference in the world.

I have the attachment, but in my experience it's ineffective, the hose
attachment is badly positioned, and honestly, I don't need the
additional noise. A quick swoosh with a bench brush works faster,
cleaner, and quieter.

I have to say that with my Kreg PH jig hooked up to the Festool vac
hardly a spec of dust gets free. You must be doing something wrong.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2012 12:57 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
1. Use a good 3/8 "corded" drill, battery drills just don't spin
up fast enough for a clean hole.

Normally I would agree but the T-15 Festool drill works well, as good as
my stand by DeWalt with a tail with no noticeable speed deterioration
under load.

2. Have a good sharp bit.
3. Cross grain will cause a little fuzzy edges at times.
4. Use the dust collector if your model supports it.

Your picture appears to be white pine which is tough to get
a good sharp edge on.

On 8/20/2012 12:24 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I'm a Kreg novice. I've now used the system for 2 projects and a couple
of small utility shelves. It's very convenient. But the holes,
especially in solid wood, don't drill cleanly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/12 12:57 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
1. Use a good 3/8 "corded" drill, battery drills just don't spin
up fast enough for a clean hole.
2. Have a good sharp bit.
3. Cross grain will cause a little fuzzy edges at times.
4. Use the dust collector if your model supports it.

Your picture appears to be white pine which is tough to get
a good sharp edge on.

Good advice except it depends on the cordless drill.
I have 4 cordless drills. 2 aren't fast enough, 2 are plenty fast enough.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 8/21/2012 9:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I have a Kreg jig setup from some 10 years ago or so. It came without a
dust port. Does the dustport fit on that? Because the dust is one of
the few drawbacks to the jig's proper functioning.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote in news:XnsA0B6A123F634Cikkezelf@
207.246.207.163:

I have a Kreg jig setup from some 10 years ago or so. It came without a
dust port. Does the dustport fit on that? Because the dust is one of
the few drawbacks to the jig's proper functioning.

Looking at the one that came with mine, it's a square piece with a moulding
for a round hose. I haven't tried it, but it looks to fit on the waste
side of the jig and simply hold the hose in place while it sucks the dust
away.

You could probably make one out of wood with little difficulty.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

Han wrote in news:XnsA0B6A123F634Cikkezelf@
207.246.207.163:

I have a Kreg jig setup from some 10 years ago or so. It came
without a dust port. Does the dustport fit on that? Because the
dust is one of the few drawbacks to the jig's proper functioning.

Looking at the one that came with mine, it's a square piece with a
moulding for a round hose. I haven't tried it, but it looks to fit on
the waste side of the jig and simply hold the hose in place while it
sucks the dust away.

You could probably make one out of wood with little difficulty.

Puckdropper

OK, I'll look into it soonish. I've been sick with whooping cough,
sapping my energies at anything more tiring than typing, plus I have 2
projects going and I need to reorganize my workshop, but right after that

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2012 2:50 PM, Han wrote:
I have a Kreg jig setup from some 10 years ago or so. It came without a
dust port. Does the dustport fit on that? Because the dust is one of
the few drawbacks to the jig's proper functioning.

Actually, IIRC, I gave my old Kreg Jig setup from that era to someone on
the wRec ... don't even recall who I shipped it to, or if they're still
posting?

The old one had the clamp on the opposite side from the user, the one I
have now has the clamp handle on the user side:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...53468866373122

I have no idea which model it is, or if it has been superseded.

I used the old one with a regular shop vac and don't recall the dust
collection being all the notable.

With the one pictured in the link above, and the Festool dust extractor,
the dust collection can only be described as awesome.

I attribute most of that, rightly or wrongly, to the Festool's highly
efficient suckage ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Are you drilling the complete hole in one pass? *Are you going part
way in and then pulling the bit back out to clear the debris and then
continuing the drilling? *If you are drilling the complete hole in one
pass without clearing the debris that could be part of the problem...
especially in hard wood.

That's my experience. You do need to retract and clear.

If you set up a shop-vac on this thing, it'll take care of that.
If anyone is looking to get into pocket hole joinery, spend the extra
bucks on the dust collection attachments or rig something up at home.
It makes all the difference in the world.

Ah. I should have made clear that I have the Kreg Jr. K3 jig, not the
larger system. I do have their face clamp, which keeps it nice and
steady.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Greg Guarino wrote:

Ah. I should have made clear that I have the Kreg Jr. K3 jig, not the
larger system. I do have their face clamp, which keeps it nice and
steady.

Make sure the bit is spinning FAST.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 8/21/2012 2:50 PM, Han wrote:
I have a Kreg jig setup from some 10 years ago or so. It came
without a dust port. Does the dustport fit on that? Because the
dust is one of the few drawbacks to the jig's proper functioning.

Actually, IIRC, I gave my old Kreg Jig setup from that era to someone
on the wRec ... don't even recall who I shipped it to, or if they're
still posting?

The old one had the clamp on the opposite side from the user, the one
I have now has the clamp handle on the user side:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopJigsFixture
sMethods#5779253468866373122

I have no idea which model it is, or if it has been superseded.

I used the old one with a regular shop vac and don't recall the dust
collection being all the notable.

With the one pictured in the link above, and the Festool dust
extractor, the dust collection can only be described as awesome.

I attribute most of that, rightly or wrongly, to the Festool's highly
efficient suckage ...

Thanks, Karl!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:19:09 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Karl, didn't you say you were going to buy a pair of the pock-it hole
clamps? Have you received them and used them yet? I was wondering how
useful they are?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...5&site=ROCKLER
Posted to rec.woodworking

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ng/sTUwNubJ8R4

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2012 9:17 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:19:09 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Karl, didn't you say you were going to buy a pair of the pock-it hole
clamps? Have you received them and used them yet? I was wondering how
useful they are?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...5&site=ROCKLER

I bought a pair, which arrived slightly after I built the "frame" I
mentioned in the OP. I haven't tried them yet, but they hang from the
wall nicely in the pocket-holes I drilled in a piece of scrap wood.

I am curious about the quick-release mechanism, and whether it makes the
threads inside less able to hold tightly. I'll try to test it when I get
a chance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/23/12 12:41 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 8/21/2012 11:58 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Good advice except it depends on the cordless drill.
I have 4 cordless drills. 2 aren't fast enough, 2 are plenty fast
enough.

At one point, the Kreg site made a statement that the corded drill is
the preferred tool for making holes. I have always used my 3/8 Makita
with excellent results. I have used my Makita cordless with "similar"
but not as good results.

I'm sure they do recommend corded drills. Until very recently, most
cordless drills were much slower. They also slowed down as the batteries
got weaker. So even if they were fast enough at the start, they weren't
fast enough for half your holes.

LIon batteries don't slow down, they just stop, so that problem is
fading away (pun).

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2012 11:58 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Good advice except it depends on the cordless drill.
I have 4 cordless drills. 2 aren't fast enough, 2 are plenty fast enough.

At one point, the Kreg site made a statement that the corded drill is
the preferred tool for making holes. I have always used my 3/8 Makita
with excellent results. I have used my Makita cordless with "similar"
but not as good results.

In a little training session at the spring
woodworking show in Charlotte, the Kreg rep used
a cordless drill with pretty damn good results.

Your mileage and holes may be different with any drill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It appears that this is happening on the holes that go against the grain.
This would indicate either a loose fit of the bit to the guide hole, a dull
bit, or the wrong type of bit. Every tool has limitations. It seems that the
holes that are drilled with the grain are very clean. ????
Just my two cents.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lion batteries can't handle heat. e.g. when the shop gets hot,
the battery is failing. They are great in room temp places.

I got a wrench and a screwdriver / allen wrench unit. The wrench
was a nice socket set type - that died in the summer or the winter.

I think the heat broke the seal and the cold finished it off. The other
wrench was in the house and gets use now and then.

Martin

On 8/23/2012 10:20 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/23/12 12:41 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 8/21/2012 11:58 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Good advice except it depends on the cordless drill.
I have 4 cordless drills. 2 aren't fast enough, 2 are plenty fast
enough.

At one point, the Kreg site made a statement that the corded drill is
the preferred tool for making holes. I have always used my 3/8 Makita
with excellent results. I have used my Makita cordless with "similar"
but not as good results.

I'm sure they do recommend corded drills. Until very recently, most
cordless drills were much slower. They also slowed down as the batteries
got weaker. So even if they were fast enough at the start, they weren't
fast enough for half your holes.

LIon batteries don't slow down, they just stop, so that problem is
fading away (pun).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/12 9:33 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Lion batteries can't handle heat. e.g. when the shop gets hot,
the battery is failing. They are great in room temp places.

How freakin hot is your shop?
I'm pretty sure ambient temperature has to get well over 120 degrees
before it affects performance.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 21, 1:57*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
1. Use a good 3/8 "corded" drill, battery drills just don't spin
* * up fast enough for a clean hole.
2. Have a good sharp bit.
3. Cross grain will cause a little fuzzy edges at times.
4. Use the dust collector if your model supports it.

Your picture appears to be white pine which is tough to get
a good sharp edge on.

It's maple, actually. But I had similar results in pine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:43:38 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 8/24/12 9:33 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Lion batteries can't handle heat. e.g. when the shop gets hot,
the battery is failing. They are great in room temp places.

How freakin hot is your shop?
I'm pretty sure ambient temperature has to get well over 120 degrees
before it affects performance.

Any heat is bad for batteries. Chemical processes go something like the
square of the temperature, doubling every 10C. I always keep them in the
house during the summer. My garage (and attic where most of my tools are) can
*easily* get to 120F in the summer. It'll be much nicer in the basement of
the new place. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/12 11:17 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:43:38 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 8/24/12 9:33 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Lion batteries can't handle heat. e.g. when the shop gets hot,
the battery is failing. They are great in room temp places.

How freakin hot is your shop?
I'm pretty sure ambient temperature has to get well over 120 degrees
before it affects performance.

Any heat is bad for batteries. Chemical processes go something like the
square of the temperature, doubling every 10C. I always keep them in the
house during the summer. My garage (and attic where most of my tools are) can
*easily* get to 120F in the summer. It'll be much nicer in the basement of
the new place. ;-)

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean storage, maybe he did. In any case, like
you pointed out, heat like that is going to effect any battery. I've
been working with battery powered tools, and audio/video equipment for
30 years and I've been through most of the evolution and had a lot of
experience with every generation/technology. I'll take LiIon over any of
them, up until this point. Whatever is down the creek will probably be
better.

Every time a newer battery chemistry comes out, there are naysayers and
they complain about this, that, and the other, when in fact, the new
stuff is always better, almost without exception.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 23:34:47 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

For many tasks LiIon is the best, though NiCd still has its place.

Every time a newer battery chemistry comes out, there are naysayers and
they complain about this, that, and the other, when in fact, the new
stuff is always better, almost without exception.

When it first appears, not so much. LiIon (which isn't just one "technology")
certainly had its teething pains. NiMH looked like a sure winner but today
its only real advantage is its "greeness" (nickel is about as benign as you
can get).