Paul O.

Default Experimenting with Kreg pocket jig

Had a few minutes, damn, always something else I gotta do, so got a piece of
scrap 3/4" wood to drill to attach to a 1-1/4" leg. The instructions says to
set stop collar 4-1/4" from step of the drill for 1-1/4". I ended up at
4-3/4" before the pilot broke thru. Had just enough drill shank left to
chuck up on. For 1-1/2" supposed to use a 2-1/2" screw. The longest I bought
was a 1-1/2" and it is long enough. A 2-1/2" will go thru the leg. I musta
done something wrong. Any ideas what it mighta been. Hopefully tomorrow nite
I will have more time to experiment with it. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

The pilot is not supposed to drill all the way through. Kreg sets it up
so the pilot stops short of drilling all the way through. Use their
instructions exactly. Make sure the wood you are calling 3/4" is
really 3/4". If its thinner, you will have to adjust the position of
the jig a bit to accomodate it.

Which jig are you talking about? It sounds like the mini-jig.

Bob

Paul O.

wrote in message
ups.com...
The pilot is not supposed to drill all the way through. Kreg sets it up
so the pilot stops short of drilling all the way through. Use their
instructions exactly. Make sure the wood you are calling 3/4" is
really 3/4". If its thinner, you will have to adjust the position of
the jig a bit to accomodate it.

Which jig are you talking about? It sounds like the mini-jig.

Bob

I got the Rocket Jig. Ok, I was assuming the pilot went thru. Will mess with
it more tonite. Thanks.
--
Paul O.

SonomaProducts.com

If I recall correctly, you can put the bit in the jig with the collar a
little loose and no wood. Place a dime on the base of the jig and let
the bit point come to rest on it. Now tighten the collar and you'll
have a good clearance from the breakthrough point..

Pat Barber

A nickle is a little better and is used in Kreg demo's.

From the Kreg Q&A:

Do I need to drill all the way through the edge of the workpiece?

No. We recommend setting the depth collar so that the tip of your drill
bit rests approximately 1/8" from the base of the jig for ¾" material.
Why you ask? By not drilling all the way through the edge you won't have
to deal with the possibility of having a burr that you will need to
remove before joining your pieces. The self-tapping tip of the pocket
hole screw will easily drill through the last 1/8" of an inch and drill
its' own hole into the second workpiece, drawing the pieces tight
without having to pre-drill.