Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Dumpster Trash TV Stand

I thought it was just my family that did that.
When doing Mom's estate, I came across the
cancelled check to the hospital that paid for me -
with every other check before and after.
In retrospect, I could have saved it, but it went in
the shredder with the rest.
1975 would have been in the 'recent' box.
-J

I've learned to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff, but it's not my
nature. Besides, my wife makes up for both of us ... she has her check
stubs from 1975.

I have every pay and pension slip from IBM since 1963.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 7:05 AM, Joe wrote:
I thought it was just my family that did that.
When doing Mom's estate, I came across the
cancelled check to the hospital that paid for me -
with every other check before and after.
In retrospect, I could have saved it, but it went in
the shredder with the rest.
1975 would have been in the 'recent' box.
-J

I've learned to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff, but it's not my
nature. Besides, my wife makes up for both of us ... she has her check
stubs from 1975.

I have every pay and pension slip from IBM since 1963.

The difference is that my wife just has the check stubs ... she's never
balanced a check book in her life.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

The difference is that my wife just has the check stubs ... she's never
balanced a check book in her life.

I have never balanced a check book in my life either. They got money, I got
checks. It's a beautiful arrangement.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 8:57 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

The difference is that my wife just has the check stubs ... she's never
balanced a check book in her life.

I have never balanced a check book in my life either. They got money, I got
checks. It's a beautiful arrangement.

First time I bounced a 50 cent counter check in the college pool hall,
and got charged a dollar for the privilege on both ends, I decided to
forego all future, unnecessary embarrassment, and loss of my vast
fortune/riches, in that regard.

AAMOF, and since the advent of online banking, I've been known my to
balance my accounts multiple times a day.

Like I tell my daughters ... and especially when you don't have all that
much ... knowing exactly, to the penny, how much money you do have _at
all times_ makes it difficult for someone to take it away from you.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

[...]

+1

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:41:55 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/31/2012 8:57 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

The difference is that my wife just has the check stubs ... she's never
balanced a check book in her life.

I have never balanced a check book in my life either. They got money, I got
checks. It's a beautiful arrangement.

First time I bounced a 50 cent counter check in the college pool hall,
and got charged a dollar for the privilege on both ends, I decided to
forego all future, unnecessary embarrassment, and loss of my vast
fortune/riches, in that regard.

AAMOF, and since the advent of online banking, I've been known my to
balance my accounts multiple times a day.

With online banking there is even less need to balance the check book. The
balance is within minutes of being correct. We write so few checks that it's
trivial to take them into account.

OTOH, my wife (works in a bank) is constantly helping people balance their
check book. "I can't be overdrawn! I still have checks left!"

Like I tell my daughters ... and especially when you don't have all that
much ... knowing exactly, to the penny, how much money you do have _at
all times_ makes it difficult for someone to take it away from you.

No, you just know about it faster after they've done it. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:06:59 -0400, "
No, you just know about it faster after they've done it. ;-)

Your forgot the collorary to that. They take it away from you faster
than ever. In fact, they take it away from you even if there's only
the slightest hint there was a problem ~ and if there wasn't a
problem, it gets refunded an agonizingly slow three weeks later.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 12:31 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:06:59 -0400, "
No, you just know about it faster after they've done it. ;-)

Your forgot the collorary to that. They take it away from you faster
than ever. In fact, they take it away from you even if there's only
the slightest hint there was a problem ~ and if there wasn't a
problem, it gets refunded an agonizingly slow three weeks later.

You're both running a rabbit instead of treeing the coon, which will
always keep you in the dark, whether coon hunting, or counting your
stash.

Absolutely NO question that knowing how much you have at all times keeps
you completely in control, and also completely out of ANY situation
whereby some asshat banker, or anyone else, can even begin to justify
turning a cartwheel in your hard earned cash stash and catch you by
surprise.

Trust me, I've made a business, for the past fifty years, of correcting
the bankers when they **** up, which I occasionally have to do a few
times each year (when balancing/reconciling an account as frequently as
I do, I routinely see errors in the banks figures, mostly of just a few
cents, that iron themselves out on the next cycle ... but knowing the
errors are there, and thus being able to see if they correct themselves
and/or point them out, will keep the keepers from having any delusions
of being infallible themselves).

As the British used to say: By taking care of the pennies, you take care
of the pounds.

.... or was that Boudreaux??

And, you don't have to all that smart, just smarter than they are ...
and right.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:25:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Absolutely NO question that knowing how much you have at all times keeps
you completely in control, and also completely out of ANY situation
whereby some asshat banker, or anyone else, can even begin to justify
turning a cartwheel in your hard earned cash stash and catch you by
surprise.

Which is exactly why the last cheque I bounced was some thirty years
ago. Ever since then, every transaction has been recorded and every
total has been balanced.

When you get older and don't have a life anymore, you become anal
about these things.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 1:25 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

About 10 years ago I was in a Wells Fargo bank with a friend. I noticed
that they had "State Quarter" collection books for sale, I might add
that they were right next to the Wells Fargo "Action Figures", be still
my heart.

Any way the collection books were $10 each. I handed one to the teller
so that I could pay for it. Keep in mind that our tax rate is/was 8.25%.

After walking over to the calculator at another desk and punching in
numbers several times he comes back and I hand him a ten dollar bill, 3
quarters, and a dime. He looks at the money and says that the total is
$11 and some change. I told him to recalculate his total and bring me
back the correct change. He came back and handed me 83 cents and
apologized for the error, the calculator that he used had been giving
him problems.

This is the guy that safe guards your money!!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

After walking over to the calculator at another desk and punching in
numbers several times he comes back and I hand him a ten dollar bill, 3
quarters, and a dime. He looks at the money and says that the total is
$11 and some change. I told him to recalculate his total and bring me
back the correct change. He came back and handed me 83 cents and
apologized for the error, the calculator that he used had been giving him
problems.

Remember, back in the day, when they actually taught math is school? One
important thing that was taught was how to make change, a forgotten skill.
I can't tell you the number of times that I looked at how money was needed
and I put together an amount that would return me a round number. This
allowed me to empty my pocket of excess change. At least one out of every
five people want to give me back any change I gave them. I give it back to
them and tell them to ring it up. They always act surprised that it comes
out to a round number. Apparently, they don't teach math any more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
b.com:

Remember, back in the day, when they actually taught math is school?
One important thing that was taught was how to make change, a
forgotten skill. I can't tell you the number of times that I looked at
how money was needed and I put together an amount that would return me
a round number. This allowed me to empty my pocket of excess change.
At least one out of every five people want to give me back any change
I gave them. I give it back to them and tell them to ring it up.
They always act surprised that it comes out to a round number.
Apparently, they don't teach math any more.

I do that all the time and have only had to say something once or twice
in several years. I usually only give them enough so that it comes out
to a silver-colored coin, rather than attempting to get rid of a bunch of
change. Often, when I'm spending money (I'm not shopping--I'm
acquiring!) I'm going from store to store if I empty my pocket of change
at one, I'll probably need it at the next.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 22:09:28 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
[...]

It does tend to confuse them when you've already done the math in your
head. Also forces them to think about how to enter it in the cash
register. I always like when you get that how did you do it look.
Imagine handing them a slide ruler. LOL

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

After walking over to the calculator at another desk and punching in
numbers several times he comes back and I hand him a ten dollar bill, 3
quarters, and a dime. He looks at the money and says that the total is
$11 and some change. I told him to recalculate his total and bring me
back the correct change. He came back and handed me 83 cents and
apologized for the error, the calculator that he used had been giving him
problems.

Remember, back in the day, when they actually taught math is school?

You mean, before calculators?

One important thing that was taught was how to make change, a forgotten
skill. I can't tell you the number of times that I looked at how money
was needed and I put together an amount that would return me a round
number. This allowed me to empty my pocket of excess change. At least
one out of every five people want to give me back any change I gave
them. I give it back to them and tell them to ring it up. They always
act surprised that it comes out to a round number. Apparently, they
don't teach math any more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote

Remember, back in the day, when they actually taught math is school? One
important thing that was taught was how to make change, a forgotten skill.
I can't tell you the number of times that I looked at how money was needed
and I put together an amount that would return me a round number. This
allowed me to empty my pocket of excess change. At least one out of every
five people want to give me back any change I gave them. I give it back
to them and tell them to ring it up. They always act surprised that it
comes out to a round number. Apparently, they don't teach math any more.

I also enjoy doing this, but the priceless part is how long it takes them to
carefully enter the amount I give them, one finger poke at a time, looking
back and forth from their hand full of change to the keyboard, and to the
digital display. Then back. It takes them a while just to count the odd
change in their hand. And then the look on their face when the round number
comes up.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote

It does tend to confuse them when you've already done the math in your
head. Also forces them to think about how to enter it in the cash
register. I always like when you get that how did you do it look.
Imagine handing them a slide ruler. LOL

Mike M

Found a real nice Pickett at a yard sale in a leather case. For fifty
cents, just had to have it. Wonder what it cost back in the day ..........

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

Found a real nice Pickett at a yard sale in a leather case. For
fifty cents, just had to have it. Wonder what it cost back in the
day ..........

------------------------------

About $20 in the '50's..

You could get a K&E for $25 tops.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote in message
[...]

One thing I forgot to mention.

My wife used to tutor kids in math. These kids were often from poor
families. She would get out a muffin pan and put change into different cups
in the pan. Then she would have them pretend to buy things and give change.
And if they did well, she would give them the money. A few session of that,
they had addition and subtraction down. They would go out and buy something
with it afterwards. Even more math! I thought is was a clever way to teach
kids math. It certainly motivated them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

You mean, before calculators?

What's this before "calculators"? They were so useful of an invention that
we've got them installed on our hands AND FEET!

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 9:09 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

[...]

I don't recall being taught in school how to make change, real world
style, but did learn how to do this in the early 70's when I ran a cash
register. Every thing got counted back because all the cash register
did was add, it did not tell you how much to give back. Now the
register tells how much change to give back if the bozo does not assume
you are going to give him exact change to start with.
I would love to see them determine the sales tax in their heads, the old
cash registers did not do this. I was quite good at determining in my
head what the tax on a sub total should be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 10:44 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Yeah! LOL.. Those with a little snap and understand what happened look
at you like you are a wizard. Those that did not realize what you just
did and hand you back a single bill or coin go back to texting or
playing grab ass with the adjacent cashier.

What really burns me up is when my cashier and another employee carry on
a conversation while I am being rung up. Pay attention damn it!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2012 7:15 AM, Leon wrote:

you are going to give him exact change to start with.
I would love to see them determine the sales tax in their heads, the old
cash registers did not do this. I was quite good at determining in my
head what the tax on a sub total should be.

Hell, you can't figure out to win playing Dominoes when you're keeping
score! g,d&r

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2012 7:29 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/1/2012 7:15 AM, Leon wrote:

you are going to give him exact change to start with.
I would love to see them determine the sales tax in their heads, the old
cash registers did not do this. I was quite good at determining in my
head what the tax on a sub total should be.

Hell, you can't figure out to win playing Dominoes when you're keeping
score! g,d&r

That's what you think! Remember, Kim and I always work that out on the
way home, just like the politicians do. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

Yeah! LOL.. Those with a little snap and understand what happened look
at you like you are a wizard. Those that did not realize what you just
did and hand you back a single bill or coin go back to texting or playing
grab ass with the adjacent cashier.

What really burns me up is when my cashier and another employee carry on a
conversation while I am being rung up. Pay attention damn it!

My wife watches those prices being rung up like a hawk. One time one teller
told her she couldn't swivel the display around where she could see it. She
asked to see a manager. The manager said it wasn't "customary" procedure,
but he'd do it for her. Lucky for him. She catches all sorts of mistakes
at the grocery stores. They have to make a boatload of money from those
mistakes, particularly on men who are just on a mission to get five things
and a box of tampons. Don't give one whit about the price, just get me the
hell out of here.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:45:35 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Mike M" wrote

It does tend to confuse them when you've already done the math in your
head. Also forces them to think about how to enter it in the cash
register. I always like when you get that how did you do it look.
Imagine handing them a slide ruler. LOL

Mike M

Found a real nice Pickett at a yard sale in a leather case. For fifty
cents, just had to have it. Wonder what it cost back in the day ..........

It's worth 10x that sight unseen. I ran across my Post Versalog while packing
the other day. It was right there with the HP45 that replaced it (someone
swiped the HP11C that replaced it). ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 01:36:35 -0400, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at
comcast dot net wrote:

"Mike M" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Very nice! ..but the twenty-somethings wouldn't bother and would be insulted
that she only gave them change.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 06:35:27 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

Yeah! LOL.. Those with a little snap and understand what happened look
at you like you are a wizard. Those that did not realize what you just
did and hand you back a single bill or coin go back to texting or playing
grab ass with the adjacent cashier.

What really burns me up is when my cashier and another employee carry on a
conversation while I am being rung up. Pay attention damn it!

My wife watches those prices being rung up like a hawk. One time one teller
told her she couldn't swivel the display around where she could see it. She
asked to see a manager. The manager said it wasn't "customary" procedure,
but he'd do it for her. Lucky for him. She catches all sorts of mistakes
at the grocery stores.

Sure. I know pretty much what I owe before getting to the register. I often
challenge the clerk but I'm usually wrong. ;-) I can't get the hang of the
sales tax here.

They have to make a boatload of money from those
mistakes, particularly on men who are just on a mission to get five things
and a box of tampons. Don't give one whit about the price, just get me the
hell out of here.

You've been there too, huh?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 06:35:27 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:
asked to see a manager. The manager said it wasn't "customary" procedure,
but he'd do it for her. Lucky for him. She catches all sorts of mistakes
at the grocery stores.

Don't know about anyone else, but after paying for everything and
getting my receipt, I go through it entirely. I confirm everything I
took through the cashier isle and the price charged was as advertised.