Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dumpster Trash TV Stand

The metal sofa table frame, which had a cracked glass top, was a
leftover from a daughter's recent garage sale and was headed for the
dumpster when it didn't sell.

The small bit of leftover plywood was headed for the construction site
trash trailer.

Mix in a few short hours of shop time, some leftover stain, and zero
dollars, and I'll shellac it when I finish an upcoming project and spray
them both at once.

The 60" TV, our first TV purchase in 20 years, was a long promised gift
to SWMBO.

In the mean time:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...44724376916770

... it'll do for the time being ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/12 10:51 AM, Swingman wrote:
The metal sofa table frame, which had a cracked glass top, was a
leftover from a daughter's recent garage sale and was headed for the
dumpster when it didn't sell.

The small bit of leftover plywood was headed for the construction site
trash trailer.

Mix in a few short hours of shop time, some leftover stain, and zero
dollars, and I'll shellac it when I finish an upcoming project and spray
them both at once.

The 60" TV, our first TV purchase in 20 years, was a long promised gift
to SWMBO.

In the mean time:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...44724376916770

... it'll do for the time being ...

Very nice. The wife has similar orders for me... only difference is the
TV is getting mounted to the wall. I was going to french cleat it, but
then I found a ridiculous price on a heavy-duty, metal flat-screen mount.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2012 11:02 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Very nice. The wife has similar orders for me... only difference is the
TV is getting mounted to the wall. I was going to french cleat it, but
then I found a ridiculous price on a heavy-duty, metal flat-screen mount.

Thanks.

I considered mounting it on the wall, and when I built the house I put
in all the necessary wiring to put one over the fireplace mantle, but
around here the discussion about where furniture goes in a constant bone
of contention.

Thus, I took the easy, cheap path ....

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
The metal sofa table frame, which had a cracked glass top, was a
leftover from a daughter's recent garage sale and was headed for the
dumpster when it didn't sell.

The small bit of leftover plywood was headed for the construction site
trash trailer.

Mix in a few short hours of shop time, some leftover stain, and zero
dollars, and I'll shellac it when I finish an upcoming project and spray
them both at once.

The 60" TV, our first TV purchase in 20 years, was a long promised gift
to SWMBO.

In the mean time:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...44724376916770

... it'll do for the time being ...

Recycling is nice. Any Scots blood floating around?

We had a large TV cabinet with glass doors on the left and a hole for
the TV on the right. Below was two shelves, two smaller doors and two
drawers. When we upgraded to a larger flat screen I removed the top.
sawed the top half off and put the top back on. It made a large
surface for the new TV and still looks good.

--
G.W. Ross

URA Redneck if your funeral has more
pickup trucks than cars.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2012 11:18 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Recycling is nice. Any Scots blood floating around?

Not unless there was one in the woodpile somewhere.

My parents were both raised during the depression and consequently we
were taught, as kids, to "make do" with what was on hand.

Just another word for "recycle".

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2012 12:06 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/28/2012 11:02 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Very nice. The wife has similar orders for me... only difference is the
TV is getting mounted to the wall. I was going to french cleat it, but
then I found a ridiculous price on a heavy-duty, metal flat-screen mount.

Thanks.

I considered mounting it on the wall, and when I built the house I put
in all the necessary wiring to put one over the fireplace mantle, but
around here the discussion about where furniture goes in a constant bone
of contention.

Thus, I took the easy, cheap path ....

We have one of those holes over the fire place, and to watch TV in the
hole is a problem, as to see the TV you have to be practically laying
down. Once you are laying down you can not work on your computer.

I am thinking of closing the hole with a nicely trimmed mirror. I
suspect there will be a problem as there are plugins for the phone, tv,
and power. In a previous thread there was a discussion of boarding up
electrical outlets.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/12 11:06 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/28/2012 11:02 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Very nice. The wife has similar orders for me... only difference is the
TV is getting mounted to the wall. I was going to french cleat it, but
then I found a ridiculous price on a heavy-duty, metal flat-screen mount.

Thanks.

I considered mounting it on the wall, and when I built the house I put
in all the necessary wiring to put one over the fireplace mantle, but
around here the discussion about where furniture goes in a constant bone
of contention.

Thus, I took the easy, cheap path ....

I'm guessing you're past 30yrs of marriage, but it likely took less than
5 to discover the truth in the old adage, "Happy wife: happy life."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

The metal sofa table frame, which had a cracked glass top, was a
leftover from a daughter's recent garage sale and was headed for the
dumpster when it didn't sell.

The small bit of leftover plywood was headed for the construction site
trash trailer.

Mix in a few short hours of shop time, some leftover stain, and zero
dollars, and I'll shellac it when I finish an upcoming project and
spray them both at once.

The 60" TV, our first TV purchase in 20 years, was a long promised
gift to SWMBO.

In the mean time:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopDumpsterTra
shTVStand#5770244724376916770

... it'll do for the time being ...

Great save!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

We have one of those holes over the fire place, and to watch TV in the
hole is a problem, as to see the TV you have to be practically laying
down. Once you are laying down you can not work on your computer.

I am thinking of closing the hole with a nicely trimmed mirror. I
suspect there will be a problem as there are plugins for the phone,
tv, and power. In a previous thread there was a discussion of
boarding up electrical outlets.

If you make the mirror removable, then getting to those things would not be
a problem. If you want to move the phone and TV jacks to somewhere nearby,
they'll be ok with a short cable and a coupler at the end. (Some TV wall
plate inserts are a coupler. Telephone usually requires a bit of wiring.)

The power outlets are another story...

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:06:32 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/28/2012 11:02 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Very nice. The wife has similar orders for me... only difference is the
TV is getting mounted to the wall. I was going to french cleat it, but
then I found a ridiculous price on a heavy-duty, metal flat-screen mount.

Thanks.

I considered mounting it on the wall, and when I built the house I put
in all the necessary wiring to put one over the fireplace mantle, but

I wonder what the stats are on fried TVs above the mantle...

around here the discussion about where furniture goes in a constant bone
of contention.

Thus, I took the easy, cheap path ....

PWed, Swingy? Smart man.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
The metal sofa table frame, which had a cracked glass top, was a leftover
from a daughter's recent garage sale and was headed for the dumpster when
it didn't sell.

The small bit of leftover plywood was headed for the construction site
trash trailer.

Mix in a few short hours of shop time, some leftover stain, and zero
dollars, and I'll shellac it when I finish an upcoming project and spray
them both at once.

The 60" TV, our first TV purchase in 20 years, was a long promised gift to
SWMBO.

In the mean time:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...44724376916770

... it'll do for the time being ...

Thank God for dumpsters and yard sales. In keeping with tradition, my weed
eater died. Rather than spend what they wanted at the Borg, I swore to get
one at a yard sale. Friday, the first one I went to had a NEW Weed Eater
for $5. I always buy a second one, and when one takes a dump, I just chuck
it, as for $5, it's just cost effective.

We do real estate analysis. We travel lots of condos and housing tracts,
sometimes on trash days. One day, I got two graphite rods, one with an
Ambassadeur reel. Guess Sweetie Pie was cleaning out from the last
boyfriend. I get lots of deals like that, including furniture, and woodwork
that just needs a brace, bracket, or dowel here and there, and are surely
worth the price. I have made some nice bucks doing that, then selling it at
my next yard sale. Buy low, sell high is the Golden Rule of Sales. When
your cost is zero, how can you go wrong?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Yep. My son and I sometimes do what we call "foraging" the evening before
heavy trash pickup.

My best score was a 5-gallon military gas can. Stenciled on the bottom was
the legend:

III Army
Sept 44

It's possible my humble gas can helped George Patton liberate Bastogne!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 28, 12:39*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 7/28/2012 11:18 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Recycling is nice. *Any Scots blood floating around?

Not unless there was one in the woodpile somewhere.

My parents were both raised during the depression and consequently we
were taught, as kids, to "make do" with what was on hand.

Just another word for "recycle".

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Same for my Mom & Dad. I don't know that we were explicitly "taught",
except perhaps by example. Nothing with the remotest possibility of
future use was ever thrown out.

My woodworking skills are still under development, but I built this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...2523/lightbox/

.... from the remnants of my daughter's old "high bed" That fine
"Swedish Pine" had been stacked in the garage for at least 6 years.

My wife knows nothing gets thrown out in our house either. We recently
had the roof redone. There's a hatch over one of the closets that
leads out to the roof, but the ladder had never been installed. It sat
in the garage since the house was built in 1949. (we bought it about
13 years ago). I decided to put it in so I could occasionally look in
on the roofers. To make a long story short, the ladder was a couple of
inches short and wouldn't have caught solid wood at the top end to
screw into. I decided to make a small platform for it to sit on at the
bottom of the closet.

I originally had in mind a couple of 2x6s on flat, but my wife asked
that I try not to make it too ugly. So I capped the platform with a
piece of white melamine shelving, and put a narrow piece on the front
of the "step" as well. My wife's first words after "nice" were, "Is
that wood from one of the old wardrobes?". "No," I said, "It's the
bathroom shelf we had in (the apartment we lived in 20 years ago)".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/2012 6:25 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Well done.

of the "step" as well. My wife's first words after "nice" were, "Is
that wood from one of the old wardrobes?". "No," I said, "It's the
bathroom shelf we had in (the apartment we lived in 20 years ago)".

I've learned to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff, but it's not my
nature. Besides, my wife makes up for both of us ... she has her check
stubs from 1975.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1534099 20120730 125447 Swingman wrote:
[...]

I have every pay and pension slip from IBM since 1963.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 1:41 AM, Bob Martin wrote:

of the "step" as well. My wife's first words after "nice" were, "Is
that wood from one of the old wardrobes?". "No," I said, "It's the
bathroom shelf we had in (the apartment we lived in 20 years ago)".

I've learned to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff, but it's not my
nature. Besides, my wife makes up for both of us ... she has her check
stubs from 1975.

I have every pay and pension slip from IBM since 1963.

Caution!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:41:11 BST, Bob Martin wrote:

[...]

Why? (Mine have all been electronic since at least 1990 - never received a
paper "pension slip" from IBM.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1534194 20120731 142410 " wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:41:11 BST, Bob Martin wrote:

in 1534099 20120730 125447 Swingman wrote:

I've learned to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff, but it's not my
nature. Besides, my wife makes up for both of us ... she has her check
stubs from 1975.

I have every pay and pension slip from IBM since 1963.

Why? (Mine have all been electronic since at least 1990 - never received a
paper "pension slip" from IBM.)

I get paper pension slips 3 or 4 times a year - last month in the tax year and whenever
the amounts change.
I like to keep my early pay slips to remind me that I started as a CE on £15 per week
(there were 2.4 dollars to the pound then).
These days £15 will pay for the first round in the pub or a quarter-tank of petrol.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2012 2:18 AM, Bob Martin wrote:

I like to keep my early pay slips to remind me that I started as a CE on £15 per week
(there were 2.4 dollars to the pound then).
These days £15 will pay for the first round in the pub or a quarter-tank of petrol.

I worked in the production control department of Heston Aircraft
Corporation in Hounslow, Mddx, for £15 per week in 1963.

Couldn't spend it all ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:18:49 BST, Bob Martin wrote:

in 1534194 20120731 142410 " wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:41:11 BST, Bob Martin wrote:

in 1534099 20120730 125447 Swingman wrote:

I've learned to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff, but it's not my
nature. Besides, my wife makes up for both of us ... she has her check
stubs from 1975.

I have every pay and pension slip from IBM since 1963.

Why? (Mine have all been electronic since at least 1990 - never received a
paper "pension slip" from IBM.)

I get paper pension slips 3 or 4 times a year - last month in the tax year and whenever
the amounts change.

I thought you meant the monthly statements. I don't even think I get a
quarterly statement, just the annual plan synopsis)a legal requirement, I'm
sure). Everything else is online.

I like to keep my early pay slips to remind me that I started as a CE on £15 per week
(there were 2.4 dollars to the pound then).
These days £15 will pay for the first round in the pub or a quarter-tank of petrol.

Different £. For a more accurate comparison, calculate your salary, over
time, in Big Macs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1534342 20120801 191903 " wrote:
[...]

There were no McDs in Britain until the 80s
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1534299 20120801 132502 Swingman wrote:
On 8/1/2012 2:18 AM, Bob Martin wrote:

I like to keep my early pay slips to remind me that I started as a CE on £15 per week
(there were 2.4 dollars to the pound then).
These days £15 will pay for the first round in the pub or a quarter-tank of petrol.

I worked in the production control department of Heston Aircraft
Corporation in Hounslow, Mddx, for �15 per week in 1963.

Couldn't spend it all ...

I could, had to commute 50 miles into Central London.