Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Motor Tablesaw

My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 10:48 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
That's probably it.

On 7/2/2012 9:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

Vic

About ten years ago I thought my table saw motor had died. I looked at
the price of new motors and priced what it would cost to repair.

Before going all of the way and buying new, I took it to a small motor
repair shop for their evaluation. Fifteen bucks later after the
repairman showed me how to remove the small wood chips that were
preventing the contacts in the motor to close, I was on my way home.

Now periodically (every couple of years)I disassemble the motor cleaning
out sawdust and wood chips from the inner recesses of the motor as part
of the preventive maintenance of the saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Similar to previous posters, I've had to change the capacitor (~10 yrs
ago) on my 1981 Unisaw motor and clean (~2-3 X yr) the contact points
on my bandsaw motor, so check both before buying new.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 8:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

Vic

Probably right but I had a similar problem a few years ago. I lost half
the 110 in my house so the motor lost half its power and would not
start. Every thing working OK in the house?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 8:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

First three rules in troubleshooting anything that runs on electricity:

1. Check the voltage
2. Check the voltage
3. Check the volage

Rare, but making sure your circuit breaker, cord, wall outlet, etc. has
not given up the ghost, _first_, could cut out a lot of tail chasing.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2012 8:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

First three rules in troubleshooting anything that runs on electricity:

1. Check the voltage
2. Check the voltage
3. Check the volage

Rare, but making sure your circuit breaker, cord, wall outlet, etc. has
not given up the ghost, _first_, could cut out a lot of tail chasing.

Thanks again for the help! I really really appreciated it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 11:28 AM, Leon wrote:
On 7/2/2012 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2012 8:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

First three rules in troubleshooting anything that runs on electricity:

1. Check the voltage
2. Check the voltage
3. Check the volage

Rare, but making sure your circuit breaker, cord, wall outlet, etc. has
not given up the ghost, _first_, could cut out a lot of tail chasing.

Thanks again for the help! I really really appreciated it.

My pleasure ... being able to actually tush those fine woodworking
projects of yours, not once, but two times, is a treat!

It's Butch's fault ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/12 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2012 8:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

First three rules in troubleshooting anything that runs on electricity:

1. Check the voltage
2. Check the voltage
3. Check the volage

Rare, but making sure your circuit breaker, cord, wall outlet, etc. has
not given up the ghost, _first_, could cut out a lot of tail chasing.

Hey Karl, I think maybe he should check the voltage.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 12:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/2/12 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2012 8:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

First three rules in troubleshooting anything that runs on electricity:

1. Check the voltage
2. Check the voltage
3. Check the volage

Rare, but making sure your circuit breaker, cord, wall outlet, etc. has
not given up the ghost, _first_, could cut out a lot of tail chasing.

Hey Karl, I think maybe he should check the voltage.

And the spelling ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 1:20 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2012 12:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/2/12 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2012 8:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

First three rules in troubleshooting anything that runs on electricity:

1. Check the voltage
2. Check the voltage
3. Check the volage

Rare, but making sure your circuit breaker, cord, wall outlet, etc. has
not given up the ghost, _first_, could cut out a lot of tail chasing.

Hey Karl, I think maybe he should check the voltage.

And the spelling ...

Butch says voltage 2 times and volage only once. I must be rubbing off
you you. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 09:22:14 -0400, Victor H. wrote:

My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

Vic

Try to get in where the centrical switch is and blow it out. It's
what controls the capacitors. Probably the contacts others are
refering too.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:31:05 -0700, Mike M
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 09:22:14 -0400, Victor H. wrote:

My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

Vic

Try to get in where the centrical switch is and blow it out. It's
what controls the capacitors. Probably the contacts others are
refering too.

Mike M

Been reading too many of Leon's posts. I'm starting to type like him.
8-)

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Start capacitor is open. Current in the start winding
is low or non-existent and the run winding like a third or
forth gear is pulling away from a stop. Not designed to.

Simple to change, most have plug on connectors.
Buy the pair - replace both - at a motor repair place.
Otherwise from a good supplier.
Martin

On 7/2/2012 9:48 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
That's probably it.

On 7/2/2012 9:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 6:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

Vic

Motor bearing or arbor bearing.

Most likely arbor bearing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 6:22 AM, Victor H. wrote:
My Delta Unisaw has been working fine for fifteen years. Now all of
sudden when I push the start button the motors spins very slowly
tiring to get up to speed, but does not and after about five seconds
trips the breaker. I suspect one of the two capacitors. Could it be
anything else? Thanks.

Vic

Check the incoming voltage first.

It "might" be the centrifugal switch in the motor.
It "might" be the start/run capacitors.
It "might" be the motor bearing.

That is going to require a remove and take to the
shop for those issues unless you are very familiar
with electric motors.

I would vote for arbor bearing.(I been wrong many times)

The only real way to determine which is the problem
requires removing top and taking off belts.

If the blade spins with belts off, it is not the arbor bearing.

Start with start/run capacitors remove and replace,
if that doesn't fix it, time to remove the motor for
a trip to the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/3/2012 10:25 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
[...]

If the blade spins with the belts off you have a different kind of saw. ;!)