Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Estate Sale (a gloat finally :) )

Ok -- rigth offI NEVER go to sales. However this one advertised
"woodworking tools". Went in to look on Friday and was amazed. On a 1/2
acre lot the family had dragged out this guys 'stuff'. There were
pallets and pallets of mechanical / electical stuff motors of all types,
parts of motors, parts of parts. Enough for a tinkerer to keep occupied
for 40 years.

He also had a 50 x 80 shop that had a monster 30" 3 phase
surfacer/planer, a 28" band saw, a stroke sander, table saw, and every
other major power tool you could ever want.

He must've also been a hoarder because he had commercial quanities of
any kind of fastener and abrasive you could imangine, boxes and boxes of
wood and metal rasps and files. It took two auctioneers the majority of
the afternoon to sell off all this stuff -- even though they were going
whole lots based on the type of material.

The best was ~17 stacks of mostly walnut, some oak, and a bit of pecan
and hickory that he had cut, dried, and stored in sheds for over 20
years. Each stack had a minimum of 200 bd. ft. of wood. The stacks were
covered by tarps and I couldn't really look at it Fri. but decided that
on Sat. I'd be there.

So I go back on Saturday and now it gets fun.

Tarps are off the lumber - 1 stack had 6 pieces of 5/4 oak, 28 - 36"
wide (yes I did measure it) 12' long. After I picked up my eyes and put
my tounge back in my mouth I realized that if I bought it: 1. Where
would I store them? My puny lumber rack is 13" wide max. They'd have to
go on the garage floor. 2. What in the world would I actually do with
boards that wide?and 3. how exactly would I cut it? I'm sure I could've
found something. But those boards were monsters.

I went to look at the walnut and decided that I could use some of that.
They finally got around to them. Score #1 - 2 stacks of 4/4 and 5/4 x 6-
15" x 12' long black walnut some S3S but mostly S2s for $400 ($1 bd.ft.)

There was a 7 shelf unit inside with mostly molding, scraps, thin stock,
cutoffs... On the bottom shelf 6 pieces of red oak full 5/4 thick, 13 -
15" wide, 10-12'long. 2nd score $40!

Other stuff: 1 box-o-files (probably ~50 files and rasps in it mostly
new) $10, 12 deep throat Jorgensen bar clamps 18"-36" long $8 a piece,
24 drawer 8' long shop chest-$25 (I cut off the top row of drawers, and
put in a chop saw station in the middle of it).

I am still jazzed by what I got andvI'll pay more attention to
'woodworking' sales from now on.
Thanks for putting up with this long post.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Congrats. You did good.

Often, sales aren't that exciting, but every now and then, a good one
comes along, as in your case, and half the fun is just being there.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice.. You made out well on the Walnut.. YOU SUCK!

How did he cut the 36" wide boards? Any idea, was there a bigger saw
than the 28" bandsaw?? How much did that 28" band saw go for????
Inquiring minds want to know....

Was that Oak white or red? Damn wide..

On 6/27/2012 9:35 PM, 4fingers wrote:

He also had a 50 x 80 shop that had a monster 30" 3 phase
surfacer/planer, a 28" band saw, a stroke sander, table saw, and every
other major power tool you could ever want.

Tarps are off the lumber - 1 stack had 6 pieces of 5/4 oak, 28 - 36"
wide (yes I did measure it) 12' long. After I picked up my eyes and put
my tounge back in my mouth I realized that if I bought it: 1. Where
would I store them? My puny lumber rack is 13" wide max. They'd have to
go on the garage floor. 2. What in the world would I actually do with
boards that wide?and 3. how exactly would I cut it? I'm sure I could've
found something. But those boards were monsters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

4fingers wrote:
[...]

Outstanding!

I've found an auction site where I score something every week (the Salvation
Army). Last week I got a $1,245.00 Kenmore dishwasher, in perfect shape, for
thirty lousy bucks. The dishwasher was used, but the dishes don't know that.

I had to buy two large, um, "buckets" of lamps to get the two I wanted ($15
and $20). I'm having a driveway sale this week-end to move the 42 (no
kidding) OTHER lamps in the containers. I figure if I can sell half of them
at $5 each, I'll come out ahead. I got a Teak, slatted, bathroom bench (the
female in the family wanted it) for ten dollars (retail $159). Some are
mediocre, some are superb. Then, too, there are the 17 lined shades that
I'll try to get three bucks a pop.

Here's another example: One dude bought eleven king-sized mattresses (all
name brands) for $900. He's either pulling a Princess and the Pea routine,
or has a mattress store where he can get $750 each.

Inspired, I'm trying to discover where UPS and FedEx auction off their
undeliverable stuff. Ought to be interesting...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 01:35:55 GMT, 4fingers wrote:

[...]

We couldn't put it down!

OK, it's official: YOU SUCK!

Congrats on some good buys, especially the walnut.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

YOOUUUU SUUUUUCK!!!! :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"4fingers" wrote in message
5.247...
Ok -- rigth offI NEVER go to sales. However this one advertised
"woodworking tools". Went in to look on Friday and was amazed.

Snip .........

I buy anything I KNOW I can triple my money on. Then I store it in my shop,
and have a few yard sales, advertising them as woodworking tools, or just
tools. I get a lot of the same guys showing up, as they know I get good
stuff. I would have spent every extra dime I had even if I knew I was never
going to personally use the stuff. Just know what the stuff is worth, buy
it cheap, and AT LEAST TRIPLE YOUR MONEY. Can't lose. Especially on old
American made tools.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

Nice.. You made out well on the Walnut.. YOU SUCK!

How did he cut the 36" wide boards? Any idea, was there a bigger saw
than the 28" bandsaw?? How much did that 28" band saw go for????
Inquiring minds want to know....

Was that Oak white or red? Damn wide..

Red oak cut local - S.E.KS probably.
They didn't get much for the power tools the bandsaw and surfacer went for
$250 and $400 each. It took 4 young bucks and 4 old guys to wrestle the
planer onto his farm truck from the forklift. They had tried to put it on a
large trailer but it bottomed out and looked like the tire were going to
pop.