Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust free place to apply poly

I am scrambling for a location to apply (wipe on) poly to my
small project. This is my first time around on this.

The bench or shop where I made the project is surely a terrible
candidate. How about a freshly lined gargage can or cardboard box,
lying on it's side, with a stand inside? Obviously, I'm desperate! : )

BTW, my project is a 12" honing strop including a handle, in Hard Maple,
and it's the first project off of my new workbench. It's a good learning
opportunity and I would like it to make a good impression on my
woodcarving friends (at least one of which I'm trying to "sell" on
woodworking). Considering what the piece looks like now, about 3 hours
after I cut it off of my bandsaw (with wavy cuts), I feel fortunate (or
lucky) that it has come out as well as it did! That was the first time I
used my bandsaw on a project too.

P.S. While I'm writing, please allow me to ask another question. Should
any finish of any sort be applied to my newly made workbench (I'm
reminded of Scotch-Guard that people apply to their furniture)? I'm
tempted to just use it as-is, but my sister asked me to send her a
picture after I painted it! Ha!

P.S.S Does anyone else think Tommy Mac (on his TV show) gets his
fingers too close to his table saw blade? I don't even have a table saw
and I wouldn't be as cavalier! : )

Cheers,
Bill