Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust free place to apply poly

Doug Miller wrote:
Bill wrote in :

I am scrambling for a location to apply (wipe on) poly to my
small project. This is my first time around on this.

The bench or shop where I made the project is surely a terrible
candidate. How about a freshly lined gargage can or cardboard box,
lying on it's side, with a stand inside? Obviously, I'm desperate!
: )

Don't worry about it, Bill. Dust is inevitable. You can't prevent it.
Instead, you cope with it.

Here's how:

Once you have the project smooth enough to finish (by sanding,
planing, scraping, or
whatever), wipe it down with a dry microfiber cloth to remove dust
from the surface. Then
apply your first coat of wipe-on poly. Wait for it to dry, then sand
the surface with 400-grit sandpaper. Wipe again with the microfiber
cloth, and apply another coat. Repeat. Repeat
again, using 600-grit this time. Repeat once more, using either 600-
or 800-grit. When dry, sand with 1000-grit or finer (available at
nearly any auto parts store), and wipe with the microfiber cloth.
You're done, and the surface will feel like glass.

And... if you want a high gloss shine, just rub it down with buffing
compound after the 1000 grit. It's available at auto parts stores as well.
It will take some elbow grease to get 1000 grit scratches out with buffing
compound, but it's a labor of love. You can get a small buffing wheel that
will chuck into your cordless drill that will make that work much easier.
Just be very careful around edges when using a buffing wheel. You don't
want to burn through your finish. Hit the edges by hand. You can use an
old Tee shirt or terry cloth towels for the hand buffing.

Doug is right - you can turn out a glass like finish this way - if that's
what you are after.

--

-Mike-