Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleanin drawer slides

I am working on a project using 14 sets of Knape & Vogt KV8405 drawer
slides. Because of limited shop space I temporarily stored a section
of my project on my covered patio. Unfortunately we had a
dust/sandstorm and the slides accumulated a lot of sand in the grease
on the slides. What do you suggest as the most efficient way to remove
the sand and what should I use to lubricate the slides after I have
cleaned them?

Thanks Rob
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep, I agree with what Mike said.

Go to a paint shop , get the long troughs that they use to paste
wallpaper with. Fill it with mineral spirits and soak the slides.

Then brush them with a crappy paint brush while in there.
Blow them out.

Then use some spray white lube to re-lube them.

On 5/26/2012 8:50 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:
I am working on a project using 14 sets of Knape& Vogt KV8405 drawer
slides. Because of limited shop space I temporarily stored a section
of my project on my covered patio. Unfortunately we had a
dust/sandstorm and the slides accumulated a lot of sand in the grease
on the slides. What do you suggest as the most efficient way to remove
the sand and what should I use to lubricate the slides after I have
cleaned them?

Thanks Rob

Not much choice here Rob. You have to wash the slides thoroughly with a
solvent that will clean all of the grease out. That's what's currently
holding the sand in there. You may well have to go at them with a soft
brush, an air hose, or the likes, after you get all of the grease completely
removed, just to get the last of the sand. No shortcuts here. Lots of
solvent, lots of washing (not reusing the solvent), until all of the grease
is completely removed from everywhere. Most of the sand will come out with
the grease. Then, like I said - a good soft brush, compressed air or
similar should result in nice clean slides. Just don't be afraid to dump
the solvent and pour up a load of nice new, clean stuff periodically.

You can wash them with a good, long flood of water once you think you've
gotten all the sand out, but just be careful to get all the water dried off,
and then relubricate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/27/2012 9:34 AM, Bruce wrote:

Don't use any heavy duty solvents if there are any plastic parts on the
slides! (such as the bearing retainers, bump stops, etc)

Bingo! And these plastic parts, particularly the ball bearing retainers,
are the first to fail over time, making the slides completely useless.

Be very careful using any solvent that will cause these plastic parts
too fail before their time.

I think I would FIRST use our old army rifle cleaning trick of using
very hot water (not necessarily boiling) to wash out both the sand and
the existing grease before re-lubricating the slides.

I'm actually here to tell you this, due in large part, and only because
this method indeed works ... if you get my drift.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/27/2012 11:28 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/27/2012 9:34 AM, Bruce wrote:

Don't use any heavy duty solvents if there are any plastic parts on the
slides! (such as the bearing retainers, bump stops, etc)

Bingo! And these plastic parts, particularly the ball bearing retainers,
are the first to fail over time, making the slides completely useless.

Be very careful using any solvent that will cause these plastic parts
too fail before their time.

I think I would FIRST use our old army rifle cleaning trick of using
very hot water (not necessarily boiling) to wash out both the sand and
the existing grease before re-lubricating the slides.

I'm actually here to tell you this, due in large part, and only because
this method indeed works ... if you get my drift.

FWIT Brake cleaner not to be confused with brake fluid, typically is a
non threat for rubber and plastic. There are lots of those type parts
in brake drum and disk brakes systems.

Brake fluid will do a decent job cleaning also but will melt paint in an
instant.

drawer slides jtpr Woodworking 7 May 1st 11 02:01 AM
Drawer Slides Jim Brown Woodworking 4 November 15th 07 12:33 AM
Drawer slides. PVR Home Repair 6 April 26th 07 04:30 AM
Drawer slides Anon Ymous Woodworking 9 February 21st 07 12:38 AM
Drawer Slides bole2cant Woodworking 11 February 28th 04 08:01 PM