Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Filter-Regulator-Lubricator

I'm starting to get into the compressed air-tool game and see a healthy bit of price differentiation amongst various Filter-Regulator-Lubricators. Can anyone recommend a good brand? The ones we have at work are really hard to adjust and don't seem to be very responsive when I do change them. Thanks.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

JayPique wrote:

I'm starting to get into the compressed air-tool game and see a
healthy bit of price differentiation amongst various
Filter-Regulator-Lubricators. Can anyone recommend a good brand?
The ones we have at work are really hard to adjust and don't seem to
be very responsive when I do change them. Thanks.
JP

Hey Jay - you know of course, that you just opened Pandora's Box with that
question...

As you may have guessed, the first questions that have to get fired back at
ya, are what air tools are you currently considering? Long term ambitions?
If you're going to run a DA and an air wrench, that's one thing. If you're
going to spray paint - that's a whole different conversation. Well - not
really a whole different one, but some twists.

One thing I will suggest right up front - stay away from lubricators
(oilers). Unless you're going to set up discrete supply runs, you'll screw
up any current or future plans for spray painting if you stick an oiler in
line. Just put a drop or two of oil in your tools periodically.

Any basic regulator will do the job for you. You might want individual
regulators on some tools - for example, every single one of my spray guns
have regulators (and water bulbs...) attached to the gun. None of my other
air tools do. I just run them full bore off the compressor. For the spray
guns - I regulate them at the gun. You do not need to spend any big money
on a system wide regulator.

As for any filtration - the only thing I use is water vapor bulbs on my
spray guns. Nothing else on any of my other air tools. No need.

I do have a desciant dryer on a dedicated branch of my supply - strictly for
painting. I've painted tons of cars without it, just using the bulbs, so
that would be sufficient for any woodworking, and even autobody work. I
paint more cars than most people here, so my son gave me this for Christmas
(or father's day, or something...), and I installed it. I love it, but it's
not something you would probably want to put on your list.

Did this help?

--

-Mike-