Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting Filter-regulator-lubricator

I just bought my first air compressor and some cheap tools.

Thought I'd do it right and get a filter/regulator/lubricator set.

Since I'll be using this setup far from the garage about 1/2 the time,
I want things to be portable- so mounting the FRL to a bench isn't
practical.

I was sure I'd see a million different ways of mounting the FRL on a
jobsite- but I'm drawing a blank. Is it my google skills, poor
choice of keywords, or is it something so obvious that no-one has ever
had to ask before?

A couple thoughts I've had were-
mount it on a box that holds my tools- mount it on a sawhorse-like
affair that also holds a hose retractor.

How is it usually done?
Thanks,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 27, 11:30 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I just bought my first air compressor and some cheap tools.

Thought I'd do it right and get a filter/regulator/lubricator set.

Since I'll be using this setup far from the garage about 1/2 the time,
I want things to be portable- so mounting the FRL to a bench isn't
practical.

I was sure I'd see a million different ways of mounting the FRL on a
jobsite- but I'm drawing a blank. Is it my google skills, poor
choice of keywords, or is it something so obvious that no-one has ever
had to ask before?

A couple thoughts I've had were-
mount it on a box that holds my tools- mount it on a sawhorse-like
affair that also holds a hose retractor.

How is it usually done?
Thanks,
Jim

FRL's are usually large and heavy (relative to air line plumbing) and
should be well supported. Some contractors have a length of angle iron
welded to the compressor frame for support. U-clamps can then be used
to tie the FRL to the angle iron. Compressors vibrate rather much, so
connection to the compressor output should be via a short length of
flex hose such as Aeroquip or similar. Something like that may be what
you need. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

-snip-
FRL's are usually large and heavy (relative to air line plumbing) and
should be well supported. Some contractors have a length of angle iron
welded to the compressor frame for support. U-clamps can then be used
to tie the FRL to the angle iron. Compressors vibrate rather much, so
connection to the compressor output should be via a short length of
flex hose such as Aeroquip or similar. Something like that may be what
you need. HTH

Thanks-

I'll probably end up doing something in iron, but I read in some FAQ
that I ran across on the web (and it makes sense to
me-of-little-knowledge) that the FRL should have 20 feet of hose
between the compressor and the filter. This allows the air to cool
& condense so the water can be deposited in the bowl instead of the
tool. From what you say, this isn't necessarily field practice.

Maybe it's more cost efficient when you're paying someone to keep it
simple -- or is the whole idea of cooling/condensing just an
engineer's theory that in real life doesn't effect much?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

xnip

I'll probably end up doing something in iron, but I read in some FAQ
that I ran across on the web (and it makes sense to
me-of-little-knowledge) that the FRL should have 20 feet of hose
between the compressor and the filter. This allows the air to cool
& condense so the water can be deposited in the bowl instead of the
tool. From what you say, this isn't necessarily field practice.

Maybe it's more cost efficient when you're paying someone to keep it
simple -- or is the whole idea of cooling/condensing just an
engineer's theory that in real life doesn't effect much?

Jim

Since most compressors output directly to the storage tank, a
'cooling' hose is redundant. That's why tanks must be drained on a
regular basis. However, there are commercial compressors fitted with
several types of dryers, refrigeration types, coalescing types and
absorption types. Some of these variants are often needed in auto body
painting for ther new critical catalyzed finishes. HTH

Joe

carbon filter for water filter car crash Home Repair 4 November 22nd 06 03:35 PM
Inline filter/regulator for PC compressor Dave Woodworking 2 September 20th 06 12:48 AM
Propane regulator? [email protected] Home Repair 8 December 4th 05 12:40 AM
Water regulator? Erik Home Ownership 2 March 16th 05 03:54 PM
Do I need an oiler/filter/regulator? Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 March 4th 05 05:55 PM