Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What filter/regulator for Bridgeport CNC mill

Just trying to finish the cleanup/repairs/EMC conversion.

The mill uses air for the following:

1) Brake Air Line A
2) Pneumatic speed changing motor Air Line A
3) Knee support to ease raising the knee Air Line B
4) Mist coolant unit Air Line C

What I want to do is, mount nicely a filter/regulator and an air
manifold next to it, and connect all three lines (A,B,C) to the
manifold in a workmanlike manner.

The manual specifies incoming air pressure to be 80 PSI, but is silent
about CFM requirements (and the mister was not even a part of the
package).

I have a small, cute little I-R filter/regulator/lubricator unit (very
small in size), but it is only good to 18 CFM. See first column in the
table on the first page of

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Inger...ubricators.pdf

My question is, would that be sufficient to run the mill in real life
or not. I would hate to buy a new regulator, if it can be avoided.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/02/2010 02:11 PM, Ignoramus28169 wrote:
[...]

18 CFM???? That's a LOT of air, like 5 HP! Normally, the mill will use
VERY little air. The air motor for varidrive control only uses air when
changing speed, and that little motor can't use more than 2 CFM or so
when running. The air support cylinder, if not leaky, will use air ONLY
when raising the knee, but you have to able to release air when
lowering, so a relieving regulator is needed. The mister, if used,
needs whatever air it requires.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-02, Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

The knee already has a relieving regulator, it is in fact an awesome
system. I called ITW rocol for CFM reqs on the mister, it is not in
the manual. Hopefully they get back to me. I would think, now, that 18
CFM shoud be plenty and I will see no impairment from the fact that
this regulator is small.