Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood finials

In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show. A few months
ago some idiot ran into it with their car and really smashed it up. I found
their car antenna on the ground. They were probably texting and driving.

I really liked that mailbox so I am going to make another. Norm turned the
final on his lathe but I don't have a lathe. I found a place where I could
buy a finial in 2004 but I have no record of where I bought it. I have spent
way too much time looking for finials on the web. I found a perfect one
until I saw the price -- $157!! Does anyone have a suggestion of a place I
can look. I am out of ideas right now.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:11:42 PM UTC-7, Dick Snyder wrote:
In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show. A few months
ago some idiot ran into it with their car and really smashed it up. I found
their car antenna on the ground. They were probably texting and driving.

I really liked that mailbox so I am going to make another. Norm turned the
final on his lathe but I don't have a lathe. I found a place where I could
buy a finial in 2004 but I have no record of where I bought it. I have spent
way too much time looking for finials on the web. I found a perfect one
until I saw the price -- $157!! Does anyone have a suggestion of a place I
can look. I am out of ideas right now.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

not sure exactly what you are looking for but if you can figure out how to use their search function http://www.bearwood.com/ has some for pennies.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2012 5:11 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show. A few months
ago some idiot ran into it with their car and really smashed it up. I found
their car antenna on the ground. They were probably texting and driving.

I really liked that mailbox so I am going to make another. Norm turned the
final on his lathe but I don't have a lathe. I found a place where I could
buy a finial in 2004 but I have no record of where I bought it. I have spent
way too much time looking for finials on the web. I found a perfect one
until I saw the price -- $157!! Does anyone have a suggestion of a place I
can look. I am out of ideas right now.

Tried Rockler, or WoodCraft? I know Rockler has some on their site:

http://woodworking.rockler.com/nav/c...-and-finials/0

Also, just about any local supplier who specializes in crown moldings,
baseboard, stair parts and architectural trim will have them.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show. A few
months ago some idiot ran into it with their car and really smashed
it up. I found their car antenna on the ground. They were probably
texting and driving.
I really liked that mailbox so I am going to make another. Norm
turned the final on his lathe but I don't have a lathe. I found a
place where I could buy a finial in 2004 but I have no record of
where I bought it. I have spent way too much time looking for finials
on the web. I found a perfect one until I saw the price -- $157!!
Does anyone have a suggestion of a place I can look. I am out of
ideas right now.
TIA.

Dick Snyder

http://www.vandykes.com/search.aspx?query=finials

http://www.ou****ercatalogs.com/sear...eyword=finials

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show. A few
months ago some idiot ran into it with their car and really smashed
it up. I found their car antenna on the ground. They were probably
texting and driving.
I really liked that mailbox so I am going to make another. Norm
turned the final on his lathe but I don't have a lathe. I found a
place where I could buy a finial in 2004 but I have no record of
where I bought it. I have spent way too much time looking for finials
on the web. I found a perfect one until I saw the price -- $157!!
Does anyone have a suggestion of a place I can look. I am out of
ideas right now.
TIA.

Dick Snyder

https://www.adamswoodproducts.com/configure.asp?cat=2

http://store.cincinnatidowel.com/wood-finials

http://www.premierwood.com/wood-fini...tops-c9927.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Your town may very well have a turners guild and someone may turn some
finials for you for free.... supply the wood for them.

Find a Chapter near you: http://www.woodturner.org/ The menu on
the left has a "Find a Chapter" tab.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

I have already checked out Rockler and Woodcraft but while Rockler had some
things, they didn't meet my needs. I am looking for a ball type finial
mounted on a ring of some kind. Total height about 7 1/2"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show. A few
months ago some idiot ran into it with their car and really smashed
it up. I found their car antenna on the ground. They were probably
texting and driving.
I really liked that mailbox so I am going to make another. Norm
turned the final on his lathe but I don't have a lathe. I found a
place where I could buy a finial in 2004 but I have no record of
where I bought it. I have spent way too much time looking for finials
on the web. I found a perfect one until I saw the price -- $157!!
Does anyone have a suggestion of a place I can look. I am out of
ideas right now.
TIA.

Dick Snyder

http://www.vandykes.com/search.aspx?query=finials

http://www.ou****ercatalogs.com/sear...eyword=finials

Thanks for the ideas. These don't quite have the size I am looking for (a
ball type thing mounted on a ring or something with total height about 7
1/2")

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

Thanks - Adams might get the job done. I will explore further!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Your town may very well have a turners guild and someone may turn some
finials for you for free.... supply the wood for them.

Find a Chapter near you: http://www.woodturner.org/ The menu on
the left has a "Find a Chapter" tab.

There is a group within an hour of my house. I might have found one
commercial possibility based on a reply I got. If that doesn't pan out, I
will contact the chapter president in Worcester, MA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show. A few months
ago some idiot ran into it with their car and really smashed it up. I found
their car antenna on the ground. They were probably texting and driving.

I really liked that mailbox so I am going to make another. Norm turned the
final on his lathe but I don't have a lathe. I found a place where I could
buy a finial in 2004 but I have no record of where I bought it. I have spent
way too much time looking for finials on the web. I found a perfect one
until I saw the price -- $157!! Does anyone have a suggestion of a place I
can look. I am out of ideas right now.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Is this for a 4 x 4 post? Look on Lowe's site under post cap.

--
G.W. Ross

A good pun is its own reword.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G.W. Ross" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

Just under 6" x 6". I would like the finial to be about 7 1/2" high

Posted to rec.woodworking

There is a group within an hour of my house. I might have found one
commercial possibility based on a reply I got. If that doesn't pan out, I
will contact the chapter president in Worcester, MA

A member of that chapter may be nearer to you, also, not an hour away.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2012 5:19 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

And try http://www.tablelegs.com/Parts.aspx as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2012 3:11 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show.

http://www.bevoworks.com/acorn-finia...-1-pr-102.html

and many others...

You might also check around for a "Wood Turners" club
in your area ??? I bet there are guys begging for a
project to jump on.

Finials Len Case Woodturning 1 November 14th 09 12:46 AM
And on to finials Kevin Woodturning 7 November 12th 09 06:51 AM
Twisted Finials Bob Crawford Woodturning 6 February 6th 09 05:29 PM
On finials and lids Kevin Woodturning 21 November 25th 06 04:22 PM
Spacing hinges with ball finials foster239 Woodworking 0 August 12th 06 06:59 PM