Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glue that will adhere to melamine?

I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 10:01 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago, using
some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a while. But
then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves made the
shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

I've used Roo Glue (yeah that is really the name although I don't think
they make it from roos) and it works great. It was the product suggested by
the company that made a bunch of KD Euro cabinet boxes for me and it
really lived up to expectations. If this is an application where you never
expect the melamine surface to show its face again I'd think that you could
just sand it with 80-grit and use regular Gorilla glue (not made from ...)
and be done with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 10:01*am, Greg Guarino wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

Ultimately, nothing sticks to melamine. You can get some
(fake)adhesion from some glues, but there is no real 'adhesion through
penetration/absorption' IOW, a real bond isn't formed, but a seal to
stop the air from crawling into the joint, is.
If one were to find an adhesive that truly bonded to melamine, the
entire cabinet industry would beat a path to your door.
Posted to rec.woodworking

3M high strength 90 spray adhesive I'm sure will work.

Maybe even 77.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 10:53 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
3M high strength 90 spray adhesive I'm sure will work.

Maybe even 77.

I used 99 to adhere paper-backed veneer to a melamine-over-particle-board
cabinet side. It failed in a couple of years and started blistering so my
method of covering a mistake cost me even more in the end. 99 is great
(although messy) stuff but I only use it for less critical purposes now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 9:01 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

I wish melamine did actually repel glue, my TS extension table is
melamine and I have chunks of the melamine missing where the glue stuck
during a glue up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 9:42 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 19, 10:01 am, Greg wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

Ultimately, nothing sticks to melamine. You can get some
(fake)adhesion from some glues, but there is no real 'adhesion through
penetration/absorption' IOW, a real bond isn't formed, but a seal to
stop the air from crawling into the joint, is.
If one were to find an adhesive that truly bonded to melamine, the
entire cabinet industry would beat a path to your door.

HEY! How do they get the melamine to stick to the substrate??? :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 10:01 am, Greg *wrote:
[...]

Heat. Before it cures. Once cured, nothing sticks to it, like
polyethylene. You can get some nasty glues, like Gorilla to stick to,
as you could with silicon, but a true 'bond' nope. I have used a
lacquer-based adhesive that stuck pretty damned good, but in the end,
not a good bond, like you'd get glueing two pieces of oak. I have also
pulled scabs of melamine off the the substrate, but never would I call
it a mechanical, trustworthy 'bond'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 10:01 am, Greg wrote:
[...]

Not very well, as you have found out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 9:01 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

I've been using G-Flex for a while now.
Pricy, but it is actually made for bonding plastics.
It has replaced T-88 as my epoxy of choice.

So far I'm very impressed. Worth the money.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/tough-f...superior-grip/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

You used the oak on the edges? If so, you need to either make shorter or
stiffer shelves or afix the trim mechanically as well as with glue. By
"mechanically" I mean screws or dowels/biscuits.

If you were trying to stick the wood to the melamine surface and not the
edge then you need to remove the melamine where the wood is going to go - I
use a router - and then glue normally.

There is a glue supposedly made to glue to melamine, never used it, no idea
if good or bad. Regular glue *does* stick to it, just not well.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 6:05*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

So-called Melamine glue does work, just not well. Only a tad better
than regular glue.
Sortakinda like aluminum solder..works..kinda.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:27:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/19/2012 9:01 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

I wish melamine did actually repel glue, my TS extension table is
melamine and I have chunks of the melamine missing where the glue stuck
during a glue up.

I wonder if paste wax would help. Worth a try, wot?

--
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember
and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Ultimately, nothing sticks to melamine. You can get some
(fake)adhesion from some glues, but there is no real 'adhesion through
penetration/absorption' IOW, a real bond isn't formed, but a seal to
stop the air from crawling into the joint, is.
If one were to find an adhesive that truly bonded to melamine, the
entire cabinet industry would beat a path to your door.

One word... BOOGERS!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 10:06*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

Ultimately, nothing sticks to melamine. You can get some
(fake)adhesion from some glues, but there is no real 'adhesion through
penetration/absorption' IOW, a real bond isn't formed, but a seal to
stop the air from crawling into the joint, is.
If one were to find an adhesive that truly bonded to melamine, the
entire cabinet industry would beat a path to your door.

One word... *BOOGERS!

--

-Mike-

Big, fat, dripping, juicy boogers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Big, fat, dripping, juicy boogers.

Yeah! But these newfangled Festool guys don't understand the timeless
techniques that "real" woodworkers have employed for centuries...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 9:06 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

Ultimately, nothing sticks to melamine. You can get some
(fake)adhesion from some glues, but there is no real 'adhesion through
penetration/absorption' IOW, a real bond isn't formed, but a seal to
stop the air from crawling into the joint, is.
If one were to find an adhesive that truly bonded to melamine, the
entire cabinet industry would beat a path to your door.

One word... BOOGERS!

Ok, Doctor Fever...

Now ye ARE gone git in trouble..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 3:21 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 19, 6:05 pm, wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

LP/cassette and tips& tricks on this and that.
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

So-called Melamine glue does work, just not well. Only a tad better
than regular glue.
Sortakinda like aluminum solder..works..kinda.

i wonder if vhb tape would work. i've never been able to get it off
anything without cutting it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Your best bet would be to biscuit the trim