Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what type of glue for mdf / melamine?

Hi

We are going to paint our fitted bedroom wardrobes, which are MDF doors with
a Melamine (I think that's what it is) cover. The melamine cover is loose
and needs gluing back to the door. So I removed the melamine off one of the
doors, thinking I could prime the door then paint it. Trouble is, the MDF
has a very thin film glued to the MDF which gives it a very smooth finish.
This film has come off in places when I removed the melamine cover. I am
now thinking of either sanding down the door to remove any 'lips' between
the "filmed MDF" and "non-filmed" (if that makes sense), or gluing the
melamine cover back to the door.

If I go for the latter option, what sort of glue would I need? Door
measures 2130mm x 525mm, so presume I would need some sort of glue which I
could roller on over the entire door.

Or does anyone know where I could buy new doors in the above size. All the
places I have looked seem to sell different sized doors.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 9:02*am, "Slider" wrote:
[...]

Evostik contact adhesvive - but ventilate well!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Evostik contact adhesvive - but ventilate well!

Think the new present formulation isn't quite so, err, interesting.
Doesn't work as well either.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:31:43 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
Evostik contact adhesvive - but ventilate well!

Think the new present formulation isn't quite so, err, interesting.
Doesn't work as well either.

Because they can't use Benzene in it. It used to get all that phlegm
off your chest.

At woodwork lessons 50 yrs ago the teacher recommended using casein
glue to fix SRBP laminates (Formica). Don't know if any are still
available.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 6:31*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

Evostik contact adhesvive - but ventilate well!

Think the new present formulation isn't quite so, err, interesting.
Doesn't work as well either.

Oh. Its a long time since I glued sheet formica to anything.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 7:13*pm, Derek Geldard wrote:

At woodwork lessons 50 yrs ago the teacher recommended using casein
glue to fix SRBP laminates (Formica). Don't know if any are still
available.

Derek

Would the water not be an issue on mdf?

NT

gluing up antique chairs - type of glue? Trent Woodworking 9 March 19th 08 04:03 AM
Glue for biscuit jointed melamine boxes RzzB UK diy 14 December 12th 07 12:06 AM
Post-it note type glue? ironer UK diy 18 December 20th 06 11:27 PM
What type of glue to use for ipe? Mark Blum Home Repair 9 June 27th 04 04:40 AM
What Type Glue Terry Kemmerer Woodworking 4 May 7th 04 06:21 PM