Old December 19th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Post-it note type glue?

I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

That is, a glue which, spread on a surface, will form a permanent bond
to the substrate, but the exposed face remains semi-tacky - just like a
Post-it note. I'm seeking a glue which makes a light releasable 'grab'
bond with anything it comes into contact with. A glue which allowed a
multiple no of repeat grabs would be ideal.

Ideally I'm after something that will adhere to leather or perhaps PVC
instead of Post-it note paper, but could possibly adapt things to use a
paper or card base.

TIA

Old December 19th 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Dec 2006 13:45:10 -0800, "ironer" wrote:

I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

That is, a glue which, spread on a surface, will form a permanent bond
to the substrate, but the exposed face remains semi-tacky - just like a
Post-it note. I'm seeking a glue which makes a light releasable 'grab'
bond with anything it comes into contact with. A glue which allowed a
multiple no of repeat grabs would be ideal.

It's a special glue, applied to the paper in microspheres. Only those
that touch are used up. the rest are good for the next usage.

I think you need to speak to Scotch Tape, who IIAC have the patent.

HTH

DG

Old December 19th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "ironer" contains these words:

I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

Only if you can catch enough slugs to boil down for it.

Failing that, your best bet may be Spraymount - stuff for fixing photos
in place. Comes in two flavours - permanent and tacky.

--
Skipweasel
Old December 19th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek Geldard" wrote in message
On 19 Dec 2006 13:45:10 -0800, "ironer" wrote:

I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

That is, a glue which, spread on a surface, will form a permanent bond
to the substrate, but the exposed face remains semi-tacky - just like a
Post-it note. I'm seeking a glue which makes a light releasable 'grab'
bond with anything it comes into contact with. A glue which allowed a
multiple no of repeat grabs would be ideal.

It's a special glue, applied to the paper in microspheres. Only those
that touch are used up. the rest are good for the next usage.

I think you need to speak to Scotch Tape, who IIAC have the patent.

Is it not 3M who own both brands?

Old December 19th 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"ironer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

That is, a glue which, spread on a surface, will form a permanent bond
to the substrate, but the exposed face remains semi-tacky - just like a
Post-it note. I'm seeking a glue which makes a light releasable 'grab'
bond with anything it comes into contact with. A glue which allowed a
multiple no of repeat grabs would be ideal.

Ideally I'm after something that will adhere to leather or perhaps PVC
instead of Post-it note paper, but could possibly adapt things to use a
paper or card base.

TIA

My experience is a bit counter-intuitive...
Last year I bought a Toshiba TDP-MT200 (svga widescreen) projector, and
unwrapped it on Christmas day for the family delight, and set it all up, &
we watched several films on the white-painted blown-vinyl papered
livingroom wall (2+m diagonal picture). The picture was great, but I was
sure that I could improve it by using a better screen. I've tried a (too
small) proper slide screen on half of the projected area, white paper, and a
matt white painted piece of hardboard, but surprisingly none are really a
noticable improvement over the wallpaper. So, nearly a year on, we are still
wowing to the big theatre on the same old wallpaper.
ymmv

Old December 20th 06, 12:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek Geldard wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006 13:45:10 -0800, "ironer" wrote:

I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

That is, a glue which, spread on a surface, will form a permanent bond
to the substrate, but the exposed face remains semi-tacky - just like a
Post-it note. I'm seeking a glue which makes a light releasable 'grab'
bond with anything it comes into contact with. A glue which allowed a
multiple no of repeat grabs would be ideal.

It's a special glue, applied to the paper in microspheres. Only those
that touch are used up. the rest are good for the next usage.

I think you need to speak to Scotch Tape, who IIAC have the patent.

Wikipedia says no.
Patent ran out in 2001.
Old December 20th 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

ironer wrote:
I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

3M used to sell Post It Glue Sticks, but I hanen't seen them for a while.
Let me know if you find a supply please.

Pritt also market a glue dispenser thingy, called On & Off.

There is also a product called Odif 404, try a search for suppliers.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Old December 20th 06, 07:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"ironer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

That is, a glue which, spread on a surface, will form a permanent bond
to the substrate, but the exposed face remains semi-tacky - just like a
Post-it note. I'm seeking a glue which makes a light releasable 'grab'
bond with anything it comes into contact with. A glue which allowed a
multiple no of repeat grabs would be ideal.

Ideally I'm after something that will adhere to leather or perhaps PVC
instead of Post-it note paper, but could possibly adapt things to use a
paper or card base.

TIA

I got a tin of spray carpet glue from a carpet shop a few years ago. It
allowed a carpet to be fixed, but the carpet could be removed and relaid
after a few hours
--
the_constructor

Old December 20th 06, 08:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
"ironer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

http://www.craftathome.co.uk/fine-gl...d657cd7673e3d7

Zig glue fits the bill. Generally available from craft stores. I use
this product regularly and it is really good.

Old December 20th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
ironer wrote:
I'm probably asking for the impossible, but uk.d-i-y is the place to
come for that. Does anyone know of a glue with similar properties to
the one used to make Post-it notes?

Not quite the same, but there are various low-tack spray adhesives for
various purposes, such as

3M spraymount Repositionable Adhesive - Provides instant hold, allows
for initial repositioning and gives a secure long term bond. Fast,
convenient and reliable. Clear, non staining. Will not brittle with age.

But will eventually dry out, just like Post-its do. It makes superb
display panels, but they may not be re-usable a year later.

On a similar subject, where can you buy the clear glue that is typically
used to attach CDs and inserts inside magazines? The soft rubbery stuff
that can be rolled/peeled off without tearing the paper.

--
Ian White