Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Glue that will adhere to melamine?

On 3/19/2012 10:01 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago, using
some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a while. But
then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves made the
shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

I've used Roo Glue (yeah that is really the name although I don't think
they make it from roos) and it works great. It was the product suggested by
the company that made a bunch of KD Euro cabinet boxes for me and it
really lived up to expectations. If this is an application where you never
expect the melamine surface to show its face again I'd think that you could
just sand it with 80-grit and use regular Gorilla glue (not made from ...)
and be done with it.