Junior Member

Default Buying small amounts of cut wood (UK)

Hello!

I've decided to embark on a small project that needs just a few small bits of any quality wood, but I have no idea where to get it from. It also needs to be precut because I don't have the tools or space to cut it myself accurately.

The project is a Magnetic Stirrer. Basicly using a computer case fan with a strong magnet glued to it to make a steel pin spin in a jar placed on top. I drew up the plans on AutoCad and I need wood to make a 100x100x50mm box, just big enough to house an 80mm fan, battery, switch and variable resistor, and to fit a coffee cup/gravy jup/protein shaker on top.

I need something like:

1 of 100x100x10
1 of 80x80x5
2 of 80x40x10
2 of 100x40x10
2 of 80x20x10 (inserts)

Depending on what joints I choose (if any).

So where could I get some cheap pre cut wood for an order of this size?

Thanks.

Dral.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2012 4:54 PM, Dralisk wrote:
[...]

Do you have access to a hobby store, a large toy store, lab supply
house, etc. that would have small laboratory equipment? In the US lab
equipment or toy lab equipment is found in many place like mentioned.

These are also available through some online websites for store like
mentioned above.

If so you should be able to buy a stirring motor that is exactly like
you are trying to build. Probably less than the materials you are
looking for. This is especially true if you consider the time you are
spending looking for and buying the materials.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Dralisk wrote:
So where could I get some cheap pre cut wood for an order of this size?

Do you not have any friends/neighbours who could do the cutting?

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you have access to a hobby store, a large toy store, lab supply
house, etc. that would have small laboratory equipment? In the US lab
equipment or toy lab equipment is found in many place like mentioned.

These are also available through some online websites for store like
mentioned above.

If so you should be able to buy a stirring motor that is exactly like
you are trying to build. Probably less than the materials you are
looking for. This is especially true if you consider the time you are
spending looking for and buying the materials.
Keith Nuttle

Like this?
http://www.labsafety.com/lab-equipme...280STI RRERSA

Used them in chemistry for decades. Only thing missing back then was
the heater to keep the coffee hot.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Dralisk" wrote in message
news

[...]

Rather than trying to build a wooden base without the proper tools, why
don't you look around for a good plastic box. I am sure that you could find
one that would fit your need and be easily modified to suit your needs, plus
it will be simple to clean up spilled liquids as they won't soak in or
damage the finish.

Junior Member

Thanks for the input guys, will see what I can do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 1:02 PM, Dralisk wrote:
Thanks for the input guys, will see what I can do.

If you build, the box, remember that you must consider the distance
between the two magnets. If the distance is to great the stirrer will
not work. There is a point where the magnets are close enough to affect
each other but not close enough to with stand the centrifugal forces of
the spin and the magnets will wobble and fly a part. (Assuming one of
the magnets are free.)

The distance between the magnets is critical
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dralisk wrote:
[...]

Doesn't matter. Your plan won't work.
1. The fan motor is much too fast.
2. A steel pin won't spin - it will follow the magnet.

Real magnetic stirrers have a) An adjustable speed motor from 1 to about 200
rpm, and b) A rod magnet as the stirring mechanism encased in Teflon (or
glass).