Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Buying small amounts of cut wood (UK)

Dralisk wrote:
Hello!

I've decided to embark on a small project that needs just a few small
bits of any quality wood, but I have no idea where to get it from. It
also needs to be precut because I don't have the tools or space to cut
it myself accurately.

The project is a Magnetic Stirrer. Basicly using a computer case fan
with a strong magnet glued to it to make a steel pin spin in a jar
placed on top. I drew up the plans on AutoCad and I need wood to make
a 100x100x50mm box, just big enough to house an 80mm fan, battery,
switch and variable resistor, and to fit a coffee cup/gravy
jup/protein shaker on top.

I need something like:

1 of 100x100x10
1 of 80x80x5
2 of 80x40x10
2 of 100x40x10
2 of 80x20x10 (inserts)

Depending on what joints I choose (if any).

So where could I get some cheap pre cut wood for an order of this
size?

Doesn't matter. Your plan won't work.
1. The fan motor is much too fast.
2. A steel pin won't spin - it will follow the magnet.

Real magnetic stirrers have a) An adjustable speed motor from 1 to about 200
rpm, and b) A rod magnet as the stirring mechanism encased in Teflon (or
glass).