Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router bit sought

I'm looking for a bit that I can use with a free form template to rout a
1/8 inch deep dado. I know I can use a standard template guide, but that
requires me to offset my template which, in turn, opens the possibility
for error. My ideal solution would be a bearing bit with a 1/8 depth of
cut. Any ideas?

My intent is to imbed a free form piece of zebrawood in the top of a
walnut box.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Sawdust is to woodworking as eraser dust is to arithmetic -- just more
expensive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 10:40 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm looking for a bit that I can use with a free form template to rout a
1/8 inch deep dado. I know I can use a standard template guide, but that
requires me to offset my template which, in turn, opens the possibility
for error. My ideal solution would be a bearing bit with a 1/8 depth of
cut. Any ideas?

My intent is to imbed a free form piece of zebrawood in the top of a
walnut box.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Sawdust is to woodworking as eraser dust is to arithmetic -- just more
expensive.

If I am understanding what you are doing, any top bearing template bit
would work.

On a table saw, cut out the rectangle that you hope to use as an insert
from a piece of 3/4" MDF. On a second larger piece of MDF, mount
strips (at least 3" wide to make it easier to balance the router) around
the block. Think this all through before you start and use the same saw
setting to cut two of them to match your block.

Use the top bearing bit to cut out the insides of template 2 which will
be a dead on duplicate of block 1. The corners of 2 will be rounded.
You will need to decide whether to square them or (my choice) would be
to round the ends of 1 to exactly fit 2, this will make your insert have
rounded corners.

Cut the hole in the lid with template 2 and appropriate router depth.
Cut the insert using template 1
Keep the templates, who knows when they would work well again.

Here is a bit like what I am suggesting:
http://www.freudtools.com/p-177-top-...trim-bits.aspx

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not understanding. Do you mean 1/8 deep or wide.
Any straight bit will work, just run the router along a straight edge of
some sort. setting to 1/8 deep is not the issue.

Keep your router oriented in the same position so that the base if not
centered doesn't become an issue. a slight twisting won't be an issue, a
45-180 will be. The offset for a degree or two is so minimal as to not
be an issue.

On 1/22/2012 12:07 PM, DanG wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Use a top bearing guide router bit.

https://www.google.com/search?source...ide+router+bit

The issue is how thin this bit needs to be I don't think you will find one
less than 1/2"

Or an inlay kit

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7lkozj7

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
I'm looking for a bit that I can use with a free form template to rout a
1/8 inch deep dado. I know I can use a standard template guide, but that
requires me to offset my template which, in turn, opens the possibility
for error. My ideal solution would be a bearing bit with a 1/8 depth of
cut. Any ideas?

My intent is to imbed a free form piece of zebrawood in the top of a
walnut box.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Sawdust is to woodworking as eraser dust is to arithmetic -- just more
expensive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 10:40 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm looking for a bit that I can use with a free form template to rout a
1/8 inch deep dado. I know I can use a standard template guide, but that
requires me to offset my template which, in turn, opens the possibility
for error. My ideal solution would be a bearing bit with a 1/8 depth of
cut. Any ideas?

My intent is to imbed a free form piece of zebrawood in the top of a
walnut box.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Sawdust is to woodworking as eraser dust is to arithmetic -- just more
expensive.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. The walnut top of the box will
measure 4x8. Imagine an embedded freeform zebrawood inlay running like
a curving river down the length in the center of the box top. The inlay
will be of varying widths, but figure on an average about 1 inch wide.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 12:21 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Sawdust is to woodworking as eraser dust is to arithmetic -- just more
expensive.

Same game, just different tools. You need a smaller router bit to play:

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9177-Bras.../dp/B000VJKA6Y

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 10:40 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm looking for a bit that I can use with a free form template to rout a
1/8 inch deep dado. I know I can use a standard template guide, but that
requires me to offset my template which, in turn, opens the possibility
for error. My ideal solution would be a bearing bit with a 1/8 depth of
cut. Any ideas?

My intent is to imbed a free form piece of zebrawood in the top of a
walnut box.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Sawdust is to woodworking as eraser dust is to arithmetic -- just more
expensive.

Thanks for the suggestions, friends. Freud makes a bearing flush cut
bit with a 9/16 cutter length. I'll just need to make my template a bit
thicker than the 1/4 inch hardboard I was planning on using.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:

I'm looking for a bit that I can use with a free form template to rout a
1/8 inch deep dado. I know I can use a standard template guide, but that
requires me to offset my template which, in turn, opens the possibility
for error. My ideal solution would be a bearing bit with a 1/8 depth of
cut. Any ideas?

My intent is to imbed a free form piece of zebrawood in the top of a
walnut box.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Sawdust is to woodworking as eraser dust is to arithmetic -- just more
expensive.

The brass inlay kit has two advantages. You cut your template with the kit
and then put the template over your piece, add the bushing to the templated
kit and cut your hole. Works like a champ. You can also use it to cut the
infill piece, but there are a couple of extra steps involved.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

The inlay kit mentioned will work but it will take forever. For what you
want, a dado cleanout bit would be better as long as the inlay will be at
least 1/2" wide..

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/order...s/bt_dado.html

--

dadiOH