Posted to rec.woodworking

Default finish for Lodgepole Pine dimples?

Hi,
I came across a bunch of nice Lodgepole Pine at the lumberyard. It's
straight grained, has few knots and is peppered with dimples.

I don't know much about finishing so I'm looking for a method to pop
the dimples. So far, tung oil, poly, light mineral oil and stain have
not really done the job. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the first post. It seems to have been made with disappearing
ink bytes.

Thanks,
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't know much about finishing so I'm looking for a method to pop
the dimples.

I love lodge pole pine. Very small tight knots and pretty stable for
pine but very white and doesn't color well with age as well as some
other pines.

If I understand you are trying to make some figure (you are calling
dimples) show up more. I thought dimples would be a physical dent but
it seems you don't mean that.

One trick to make any figure "pop" is to use a dark analine dye and
dye the whole surface. Then sand 90% or more of the dye off. It soaks
in more and less in diffenert areas and it may actually soak in more
where you don't have dimples or the dimples might be harder and not
let you sand it away just next to he dimples. In any case, this adds
contrast so whatever the figure it shows up better.

You can see an example of curly maple done withthis technique here
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/1.jpg
or here http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/5.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2011 12:11 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

One trick to make any figure "pop" is to use a dark analine dye and
dye the whole surface. Then sand 90% or more of the dye off. It soaks
in more and less in diffenert areas and it may actually soak in more
where you don't have dimples or the dimples might be harder and not
let you sand it away just next to he dimples. In any case, this adds
contrast so whatever the figure it shows up better.

You can see an example of curly maple done withthis technique here
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/1.jpg
or here http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/5.jpg

Hell, you can buy one of those at Ikea for under $50 ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 2:11*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I don't know much about finishing so I'm looking for a method to pop
the dimples.

I love lodge pole pine. Very small tight knots and pretty stable for
pine but very white and doesn't color well with age as well as some
other pines.

If I understand you are trying to make some figure (you are calling
dimples) show up more. I thought dimples would be a physical dent but
it seems you don't mean that.

You're right, dimples are conical dents but they are not very deep.
I'll try the dye idea but I suspect the abrasive will have to be very
fine to keep from scratching into the bottom of the dimple. I'll let
you know if it works. Thanks.
John

One trick to make any figure "pop" is to use a dark analine dye and
dye the whole surface. Then sand 90% or more of the dye off. It soaks
in more and less in diffenert areas and it may actually soak in more
where you don't *have dimples or the dimples might be harder and not
let you sand it away just next to he dimples. In any case, this adds
contrast so whatever the figure it shows up better.

You can see an example of curly maple done withthis technique herehttp://www.sonomaproducts.com/images/stories/curly/1.jpg
or herehttp://www.sonomaproducts.com/images/stories/curly/5.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Touche'

Hell, you can buy one of those at Ikea for under $50 ...

finish for Lodgepole Pine dimples? John Burrows Woodworking 0 October 27th 11 02:45 AM
Finish question on pine samson Woodworking 29 August 21st 08 02:30 AM
Finish for pine. Max Woodworking 12 June 19th 07 10:05 PM
Making new pine look old - what finish? Jay Pique Woodworking 8 April 21st 06 02:35 AM
Finish for blued pine? Lance Spaulding Woodworking 7 March 11th 05 09:06 PM