Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Finish for pine.

The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she says
she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she insists they
used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?
Polyshades? gel?
Help!!

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
t...
The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she says
she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she insists
they used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?
Polyshades? gel?
Help!!

I've used Minwax Pecan stain with good results. The other piece has
probably darkened with age so you won't get a perfect match. Show her the
can of pecan stain and she is more likely to accept whatever it looks like.
The can says pecan so it must be the right stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
t...
The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she says
she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she insists
they used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?

The best way is take a piece from the existing shelves along with a
sample of the new pine to your paint store and ask them to match the color.
We happen to like (and use) Benjamin Moore products. The downside to that
approach is that Southwestern Paint here in Houston only matches stain at
their West Gray location and when matching will only do a gallon minimum and
that was $36 and tax.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she
says she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she
insists they used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?
Polyshades? gel?
Help!!

Max

No matter what you do, unless you either give her a sample/s first for
approval, or get a piece of her material, IME it will not be good enough for
her; it won't match because you'll have no idea how dark or anything else.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to rec.woodworking

1. Make sure to use a pre-stain conditioner, sanding sealer or wash
coat of shellac before applying stain to Pine, otherwise you will get
big time blotchy.

2. Use Minwax Pecan oil stain.

3. It will be important to do a top coat of some sort to get the same
luster to the finish if she really wants a match.

4. If the finish is a low sheen, AND if the Minwax Pecan comes in
their Gel variety, you might get lucky and be able to use the Gel with
no top coat.

5. The only way to be sure the client is happy (or at least to force
them to take the piece) is to do the proposed finish completely as it
will be delivered on a piece at least 4" x 12" and get them to sign it
as aproved.

6. I say Minwax on all of this because you can get 1/2 pint cans for
testing for only $5.

On Jun 17, 7:20 pm, "Max" wrote:
The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she says
she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she insists they
used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?
Polyshades? gel?
Help!!

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Max" wrote in message
t...
The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she
says she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she insists
they used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?
Polyshades? gel?
Help!!

I've used Minwax Pecan stain with good results. The other piece has
probably darkened with age so you won't get a perfect match.

Show her the can of pecan stain and she is more likely to accept whatever
it looks like. The can says pecan so it must be the right stuff.

Now there's a good idea. G

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
t...
The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she
says she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she insists
they used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?

The best way is take a piece from the existing shelves along with a
sample of the new pine to your paint store and ask them to match the
color. We happen to like (and use) Benjamin Moore products. The downside
to that approach is that Southwestern Paint here in Houston only matches
stain at their West Gray location and when matching will only do a gallon
minimum and that was $36 and tax.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

I would have to take a whole shelf but that's not impossible.
I have enough profit in the job to be *somewhat* unconcerned about material
cost.
Finding a place to do the matching is what will be a challenge.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:20:31 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she says
she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she insists they
used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?
Polyshades? gel?
Help!!

Max

Pine likes to blotch, so I like to use a sanding sealer before
staining and use a gel stain. The end-grain tends to stain much
darker otherwise. Finish a scrap pine piece then show it to the
customer.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Pop`" wrote in message
Max wrote:
The only transparent finish I've ever used on pine is "natural" (Watco
Danish, then a couple coats of poly)
Now I have a lady customer who wants a large bookcase in pine and she
says she wants a "pecan" colored finish.
She has some shelves that someone did a long time ago and she
insists they used a "pecan" stain of some sort.
What's the best way to go with this?
Polyshades? gel?
Help!!

Max

No matter what you do, unless you either give her a sample/s first for
approval, or get a piece of her material, IME it will not be good enough
for her; it won't match because you'll have no idea how dark or anything
else.

HTH
Pop`

I feel reasonably confident that she will settle for "close" since she has
several other projects that are only "close".
But your idea is a good one. I'll make up a sample for her to approve.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" t wrote

I feel reasonably confident that she will settle for "close" since she has
several other projects that are only "close".
But your idea is a good one. I'll make up a sample for her to approve.

I had a customer who would approve of a finish and change her story
afterwards. So I insisted she sign a document. She would still object, but
she still signed. And bitched and moaned anyway. It was a family thing that
I couldn't get out of.

After years of not having to deal with this crap, I was suddenly placed into
the position of dealing with this monster person all over again. I did two
things.

I charged, in advance, for finish and samples. After much complaining she
paid. I prepared the boards with the various finishes and presented them to
her.

Then I told her that she would have to sign the back of the board with the
finish she selected. She refused and I never had to work for the witch
again.

Not that I am complaining or anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Max" t wrote

[...]

I'm using Minwax prestain conditioner and Minwax pecan oil stain. Looks
acceptable but it's not anything I would want in my house.
She says it's great. Whatever floats your boat. G

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

One caution if you have the time. The Minwax pre-stain seems to
indicate on the label that you can wash it on, wipe it off an
immediately apply the stain. This is an OK way to work but I tested
this directly along with other methods and found that the Minwax pre-
stain was as good as any other material but gave much better results
if you let it dry completly (12-24 hrs) before applying the stain.

On Jun 19, 11:58 am, "Max" wrote:
[...]

Max- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote
One caution if you have the time. The Minwax pre-stain seems to
indicate on the label that you can wash it on, wipe it off an
immediately apply the stain. This is an OK way to work but I tested
this directly along with other methods and found that the Minwax pre-
stain was as good as any other material but gave much better results
if you let it dry completly (12-24 hrs) before applying the stain.

I'm using Minwax prestain conditioner and Minwax pecan oil stain. Looks
acceptable but it's not anything I would want in my house.
She says it's great. Whatever floats your boat. G

Max

I happened upon that solution by experiment. You're right. G

Max