Lance Spaulding

Default Finish for blued pine?

I'm building a couple end-tables out of blued-pine and was wondering what
type of finish to use to show off the blueing. Ideally I'd like to have a
finish which is durable enough to withstand the occasional coffee spill.

Thanks in advance,
Lance
Vic Baron

"Lance Spaulding" wrote in message
I'm building a couple end-tables out of blued-pine and was wondering what
type of finish to use to show off the blueing. Ideally I'd like to have a
finish which is durable enough to withstand the occasional coffee spill.

Thanks in advance,
Lance

I've used clear shellac or polyurethane with great success. Would guess
that any clear finish would do the job.

Vic

Lance Spaulding

Vic Baron wrote:

"Lance Spaulding" wrote in message
I'm building a couple end-tables out of blued-pine and was wondering what
type of finish to use to show off the blueing. Ideally I'd like to have
a finish which is durable enough to withstand the occasional coffee
spill.

Thanks in advance,
Lance

I've used clear shellac or polyurethane with great success. Would guess
that any clear finish would do the job.

Vic

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything for UV protection. I left
some blued pine out in the sun most of last summer and it completely lost
it's color. That's what I'm hoping to avoid since the room I'll be putting
the tables in is pretty bright and sunny.

Thanks,
Lance
Vic Baron

Vic Baron wrote:

[...]

Not sure on that point, Lance. The pieces I've done were in 'normally' lit
rooms. Some sunshine but nothing directly on the wood and I had no problems.
Someone else may jump in with more direct info tho.

Vic

BillyBob

"Lance Spaulding" wrote in message

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything for UV protection. I

left
some blued pine out in the sun most of last summer and it completely lost
it's color. That's what I'm hoping to avoid since the room I'll be

putting
the tables in is pretty bright and sunny.

Marine spar varnish has UV inhibitors in it.

Bob

Glen

Lance Spaulding wrote:
I'm building a couple end-tables out of blued-pine and was wondering what
type of finish to use to show off the blueing. Ideally I'd like to have a
finish which is durable enough to withstand the occasional coffee spill.

Thanks in advance,
Lance

I had never heard of blued pine before. I Googled it and it sounds
interesting. I would like to see some stuff made of it. When your table
are done would you post some pics on abpw?

Thanks
Glen
Brian Barnson

"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Lance Spaulding wrote:
I'm building a couple end-tables out of blued-pine and was wondering what
type of finish to use to show off the blueing. Ideally I'd like to have
finish which is durable enough to withstand the occasional coffee spill.

Thanks in advance,
Lance

I had never heard of blued pine before. I Googled it and it sounds
interesting. I would like to see some stuff made of it. When your table
are done would you post some pics on abpw?

Here in BC they're calling it "Denim Pine". Googling that got twice
as many hits as blued pine.
http://www.denimpine.ca/
Brian, in Cedar

Lance Spaulding

Glen wrote:

Lance Spaulding wrote:
I'm building a couple end-tables out of blued-pine and was wondering what
type of finish to use to show off the blueing. Ideally I'd like to have
a finish which is durable enough to withstand the occasional coffee
spill.

Thanks in advance,
Lance

I had never heard of blued pine before. I Googled it and it sounds
interesting. I would like to see some stuff made of it. When your table
are done would you post some pics on abpw?

Thanks
Glen

No promises, but if they turn out OK, I will. I'm a pretty amateur
woodworker and these are my first pieces of inside furniture that I've
made w/o plans.

Lance