Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Happiness in applying a finish

When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd
from last.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 17, 11:20*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd
from last.

Was that happiness immediately preceded by frantic searching for the
missing two pieces?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2011 10:24 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:20 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd
from last.

Was that happiness immediately preceded by frantic searching for the
missing two pieces?

LOL!!! Almost! When taking inventory of the 12 large piece I needed
to varnish I only 11 where where they should have been. The 12th was
some where else. Found it but it was not not directly in front of me so
it was a bit hard to locate, it was over 2 feet and back 8 feet The
piece was about 16"x 39".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:06:14 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/17/2011 10:24 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:20 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd
from last.

Was that happiness immediately preceded by frantic searching for the
missing two pieces?

LOL!!! Almost! When taking inventory of the 12 large piece I needed
to varnish I only 11 where where they should have been. The 12th was
some where else. Found it but it was not not directly in front of me so
it was a bit hard to locate, it was over 2 feet and back 8 feet The
piece was about 16"x 39".

A tiny little thing, probably hidden by your bifocal line, huh?

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2011 10:24 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:20 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd
from last.

Was that happiness immediately preceded by frantic searching for the
missing two pieces?

LOL!!! Almost! When taking inventory of the 12 large piece I needed
to varnish I only 11 where where they should have been. The 12th was
some where else. Found it but it was not not directly in front of me so
it was a bit hard to locate, it was over 2 feet and back 8 feet The
piece was about 16"x 39".

A tiny little thing, probably hidden by your bifocal line, huh?

Sounds good and that is going to be my excuse! :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2011 10:24 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:20 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd
from last.

Was that happiness immediately preceded by frantic searching for the
missing two pieces?

LOL!!! Almost! When taking inventory of the 12 large piece I needed
to varnish I only 11 where where they should have been. The 12th was
some where else. Found it but it was not not directly in front of me so
it was a bit hard to locate, it was over 2 feet and back 8 feet The
piece was about 16"x 39".

A tiny little thing, probably hidden by your bifocal line, huh?

Sounds good and that is going to be my excuse! :~)

Until your friends mention that _you don't even wear glasses_...

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2011 10:24 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:20 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd
from last.

Was that happiness immediately preceded by frantic searching for the
missing two pieces?

LOL!!! Almost! When taking inventory of the 12 large piece I needed
to varnish I only 11 where where they should have been. The 12th was
some where else. Found it but it was not not directly in front of me so
it was a bit hard to locate, it was over 2 feet and back 8 feet The
piece was about 16"x 39".

A tiny little thing, probably hidden by your bifocal line, huh?

Sounds good and that is going to be my excuse! :~)

Until your friends mention that _you don't even wear glasses_...

Ah but I do and they are bifocal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 10:38*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 10/18/2011 9:13 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Until your friends mention that _you don't even wear glasses_...

Ah but I do and they are bifocal.

I hate wearing glasses - mine are bifocked up, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:50:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/18/2011 12:30 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in news:05e97391-08ff-4f69-ba7b-
:

On Oct 18, 10:38 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 10/18/2011 9:13 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Until your friends mention that _you don't even wear glasses_...

Ah but I do and they are bifocal.

I hate wearing glasses - mine are bifocked up, too.

Until 25 years ago I wore no glasses. The my arms got too short,and I got
reading glasses. When they became insufficient, I graduated to graduated
focus glasses.

Graduated focus? Would that also be know as Progressive? If so, you
never used bi-focal? I have been tempted to go to a progressive lens
and most all makers will let you trade them back in for bi-focals but
with no price difference credit.

I got screwed for a couple hundred when the damned progressives didn't
turn out to be in any way usable by me. 80% of the lens has no
prescription, so I couldn't even see what was in my rear view mirrors
(side or middle) without physically turning my head. Ditto stairs and
slopes. It just sucked the big one. I've never minded the little
bifocal line anyway.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Well my eye doctor wanted to put me in trifocals on the last visit....I
see that as having to move my head a lot more than I do now. Thinking I
would give the progressive a try. BUT from what I have heard, if you go
straight to progressive you get used to them fast. Go to them fro a
bi-focal and you have a harder time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a different astigmatism in each eye. Progressive lenses left me
half blind when I went to them because my prescription was no longer
_there_. People who have only a focus problem might be able to use
them, but active folks have a lot of trouble, as do all those with
astigmatism. It's a "one size fits a few" kludge IMO.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I have a different astigmatism in each eye. Progressive lenses left me
half blind when I went to them because my prescription was no longer
_there_. People who have only a focus problem might be able to use
them, but active folks have a lot of trouble, as do all those with
astigmatism. It's a "one size fits a few" kludge IMO.

I was fine "bare-eyed" until 45 or so. Then at first reading glasses etc.
Never had bifocals. You have a week (more or less) of painfull adjustment,
but if you persist and do NOT go back and forth to othger glasses, chances
are the progresives will suddenly "click". Of course there is no sound,
but it was indeed a very sudden change from awkward seeing to seeing
perfectly.

As always, YMMV, but I have heard this from many people.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 4:25*pm, Han wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:n_
:

Graduated focus? *Would that also be know as Progressive? *If so, you
never used bi-focal? *I have been tempted to go to a progressive lens
and most all makers will let you trade them back in for bi-focals but
with no price difference credit.

Yes, progressive is another name. *I just about got a headache at first,
but as the guy said, it suddenly "clicked" and now I have been using them
for years. *I'm at least on my 3rd set.

--
Best regards
Han

I thought the look of a progressive set was a bit less 'ol' fogey, so
I went for them. Never had actual bi-focals before so I became used to
them almost immediately. A few times they made me stub my toes, but
other than that, no prob...well...almost no prob.
The improved look was certainly a big feature as chicks started
hitting on me like crazy.... till I discovered I was just running into
them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Oct 2011 17:30:10 GMT, Han wrote:

RicodJour wrote in news:05e97391-08ff-4f69-ba7b-
:

On Oct 18, 10:38*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 10/18/2011 9:13 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Until your friends mention that _you don't even wear glasses_...

Ah but I do and they are bifocal.

I hate wearing glasses - mine are bifocked up, too.

Until 25 years ago I wore no glasses. The my arms got too short,and I got
reading glasses. When they became insufficient, I graduated to graduated
focus glasses. Optician said to try them (real hard, but I did) and if I
couldn't get used to them in 10-14 days, he'd take them back. It was
indeed hard, but within a week it "clicked" and they work fine for me.
Only thing is that I have difficulty sighting down a board to see whether
it is straight. It always seems a little off ...

I didn't wear glasses until four years ago. The change was pretty sudden,
too. From doing fine to needing readers to even see the characters on the
screen in short weeks. Six months later I was in bifocals; tops set for the
screen, bottoms for the keyboard (which works out for reading books, too).
Still don't need them for distance, though it won't be long, methinks.

Funny thing is that my eyes used to be 20/10 but now I have an astigmatism (so
readers don't work well). Didn't think that was something that changed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Until 25 years ago I wore no glasses. The my arms got too short,and I got
reading glasses. When they became insufficient, I graduated to graduated
focus glasses. Optician said to try them (real hard, but I did) and if I
couldn't get used to them in 10-14 days, he'd take them back. It was
indeed hard, but within a week it "clicked" and they work fine for me.
Only thing is that I have difficulty sighting down a board to see whether
it is straight. It always seems a little off ...

I didn't wear glasses until four years ago. The change was pretty sudden,
too. From doing fine to needing readers to even see the characters on the
screen in short weeks. Six months later I was in bifocals; tops set for the
screen, bottoms for the keyboard (which works out for reading books, too).
Still don't need them for distance, though it won't be long, methinks.

Try getting diagnosed with diabetes and then drastically lowering your
blood glucose level almost overnight. I had to buy 4 different sets
of readers to use, depending on the fluctuations. Tail lights looked
like beachballs. And hitting a softball became nearly impossible. It
took ~ 6 weeks to even out.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Oct 2011 20:28:58 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I have a different astigmatism in each eye. Progressive lenses left me
half blind when I went to them because my prescription was no longer
_there_. People who have only a focus problem might be able to use
them, but active folks have a lot of trouble, as do all those with
astigmatism. It's a "one size fits a few" kludge IMO.

I was fine "bare-eyed" until 45 or so. Then at first reading glasses etc.
Never had bifocals. You have a week (more or less) of painfull adjustment,
but if you persist and do NOT go back and forth to othger glasses, chances
are the progresives will suddenly "click". Of course there is no sound,
but it was indeed a very sudden change from awkward seeing to seeing
perfectly.

As always, YMMV, but I have heard this from many people.

Yeah, people with focal problems ONLY seem to be able to adjust. I'm
both far and nearsighted, plus dual astigmatism. I curse the day that
office manager talked me into progressives, cursed her for about 10
days, then cursed the optometrist for not allowing me to pay the extra
for bifocal reading glasses when the progressives were found to be
****. I almost took a sign down to stand in protest in front of that
*******'s office over that one, I was so mad.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2011 7:47 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On 18 Oct 2011 17:30:10 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Oddly about 6 years ago my far vision went from a 5.x down to 2.25,
"over night". It remained that way for a bout 3 years. It is still
much better than it was 7 years ago. My eye doctor was astounded. I
could no longer use my regular glasses and could only see if I wore my
glasses that I only used for working on the computer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2011 8:01 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

I know exactly how you feel but was diagnosed 1 year after my vision
changed over night. But oddly my vision got drastically better over night.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 17, 11:20*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd
from last.

Which you get to rediscover in 3 weeks when it comes
time to rub out.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Yeah, people with focal problems ONLY seem to be able to adjust. I'm
both far and nearsighted, plus dual astigmatism.

I have a bit of all that too. The worst is that I can't read things
without the glasses

I curse the day that
office manager talked me into progressives, cursed her for about 10
days, then cursed the optometrist for not allowing me to pay the extra
for bifocal reading glasses when the progressives were found to be
****. I almost took a sign down to stand in protest in front of that
*******'s office over that one, I was so mad.

It was painful for (I think) about 6 days, then it vclicked, for me ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Yeah, people with focal problems ONLY seem to be able to adjust. I'm
both far and nearsighted, plus dual astigmatism. I curse the day that
office manager talked me into progressives, cursed her for about 10
days, then cursed the optometrist for not allowing me to pay the extra
for bifocal reading glasses when the progressives were found to be
****. I almost took a sign down to stand in protest in front of that
*******'s office over that one, I was so mad.

Also, because of a first time very good experience, which generally has
stood with many subsequent visits, I always go to a Lenscrafters for
optician's stuff. I have also gone to Cornell ophthalmologists for
checkups, and they confirmed the Lenscrafters' doctor's utterances. Some
lLenscrafters locations have given me more satisfying results than others,
so YMMV ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 00:08:24 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

AIUI, old-fogey eyes are caused by the stiffening of the muscles around the
lens that are used to focus. They "bind up", so the geometry of the lens
can't be changed. Maybe you were always more "far sighted" and these muscles
have been compensating all along.

My brother has worn glasses since he was two (bifocals as far back as I
remember). His eyes were so far-sighted that they focused past infinity. His
eyes have gotten better with age, but still is blind without his glasses.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:06:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/18/2011 7:47 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I didn't wear glasses until four years ago. The change was pretty sudden,
too. From doing fine to needing readers to even see the characters on the
screen in short weeks. Six months later I was in bifocals;...

Not an attempt to diagnose from a distance, but merely a cautionary tale...

Rapid changes in eyesight _can_ be warnings of other things. Lost a
close friend/colleague years ago at a very young age to a brain
aneurysm--it killed him one morning as he was driving to work. After
the fact learned his only external symptom was he had been having such
rapid vision changes but thought/blamed the hours of poring over
computer printouts and sorry monitors and just bought new
over-the-counter lenses to compensate instead of getting checked out
thoroughly.

It was five years ago, and nothing else was found. I did go through a period
of A-Fib (cardioversion took care of it) just after it started, so I was
pretty well plugged into doctors at the time. My eyes didn't go back after
the A-Fib episode and really haven't changed much since.

One other odd thing I noticed at the time, after watching television for any
time, my eyes took a very long time to refocus closer (basically couldn't see
a computer monitor). Distance vision (such as long periods of driving) didn't
have the same effect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2011 12:51 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 00:08:24 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/18/2011 7:47 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

I have been far sighted since I was 7. I think that a combination of
drinking 12 quarts of liquids a day for several months, being on a
diuretic and eventually being diagnosed a year later as being diabetic
may have had a lot to do with it.

My brother has worn glasses since he was two (bifocals as far back as I
remember). His eyes were so far-sighted that they focused past infinity. His
eyes have gotten better with age, but still is blind without his glasses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques"
Until your friends mention that _you don't even wear glasses_...

They do now....One advantage of cataracts is new lenses. After a fair
assortment of health issues and fairly a steep slide in eye quality I ended
up with medication induced cataracts. They normally replace your original
lenses with slightly far sighted lenses thus requiring mild reading
glasses. Instead I opted for one near sighted and one far sighted (did need
to talk the doctor into it) thus no glasses needed for reading or driving.
Pretty much my only "old broken body part" that's almost as good as
new....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

Huh? You ****ed away your bad eyesight? Amazing!

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod

Happiness [email protected] Metalworking 15 December 28th 08 10:57 PM
Applying a finish to European Beech MartyMan Woodworking 3 August 10th 07 10:29 PM
Happiness is: ? Swingman Woodworking 43 January 8th 07 10:14 PM
applying a finish over an existing one yvette Woodworking 2 April 14th 06 08:24 PM
Applying a Finish Nick Bratby Woodturning 1 October 16th 03 06:48 PM