Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Applying a finish to European Beech

Has anyone had much experience with applying a finish to European
Beech? It's a very hard wood and seems to blotch. So far I am leaning
towards using a Danish Oil with a cherry color to it. Does anyone have
any other suggested finishes?

Posted to rec.woodworking

MartyMan wrote:
Has anyone had much experience with applying a finish to European
Beech? It's a very hard wood and seems to blotch. So far I am
leaning towards using a Danish Oil with a cherry color to it. Does
anyone have any other suggested finishes?

No color = no blotch

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 10, 9:25 am, MartyMan wrote:
Has anyone had much experience with applying a finish to European
Beech? It's a very hard wood and seems to blotch. So far I am leaning
towards using a Danish Oil with a cherry color to it. Does anyone have
any other suggested finishes?

I have always liked European beech. It is mellow and has a nice, fine
grain. Just clear would be fine for me, but a Polyshade might work for
you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 06:25:40 -0700, MartyMan wrote:

Has anyone had much experience with applying a finish to European
Beech? It's a very hard wood and seems to blotch. So far I am leaning
towards using a Danish Oil with a cherry color to it. Does anyone have
any other suggested finishes?

I just finished some bookshelves made out of beech butcher block
material (ie, countertops from Ikea). I used Waterlox, applied via a rag
with no problems. Not much chance of blotching with a clear finish. I
don't see why beech needs any color added - it already has a nice reddish
hue to it.

Later,
Mark Muller

Oil for Beech Kitchen worktops?? Kaiser Sose UK diy 1 January 18th 07 12:14 PM
applying a finish over an existing one yvette Woodworking 2 April 14th 06 08:24 PM
Third Bite of Beech George Woodturning 3 January 28th 06 08:41 PM
Beech-block table Richard J. UK diy 7 October 18th 05 06:03 PM
Applying a Finish Nick Bratby Woodturning 1 October 16th 03 06:48 PM