Posted to rec.woodworking
yvette

Default applying a finish over an existing one

Hello -
I just bought new barstools that swivel and somtimes when they do
(swivel) the wood part bumps my granite counter. I would like to
protect the wood from getting banged up by applying a good finish over
the one I have. I don't know what the existing finish is on my
barstools. What will happen if I apply, say polyurathane over lacquer?
Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance!

Yvette

Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

Default Poly over Lacquere

The two are from different families but in the instance you depict the poly
will go over the lacquer with no difficulty. Obviously I'd verify this in a
small obscure area.

On the other hand, lacquer over the poly, the lacquer would attack the poly
and could give you a wrinkle finish.

Don Dando

"yvette" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello -
I just bought new barstools that swivel and somtimes when they do
(swivel) the wood part bumps my granite counter. I would like to
protect the wood from getting banged up by applying a good finish over
the one I have. I don't know what the existing finish is on my
barstools. What will happen if I apply, say polyurathane over lacquer?
Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance!

Yvette

Posted to rec.woodworking
Baron

"yvette" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello -
I just bought new barstools that swivel and somtimes when they do
(swivel) the wood part bumps my granite counter. I would like to
protect the wood from getting banged up by applying a good finish over
the one I have. I don't know what the existing finish is on my
barstools. What will happen if I apply, say polyurathane over lacquer?
Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance!

Yvette

No finish is going to keep the wood from getting banged up if the wood
keeps hitting some granite.

That being said, putting polyurethane on top of lacquer is risky.
Polyurethane sticks by a mechanical grip. It will not burn into the
existing finish. If you feel you really need to do this, clean the barstool
really well, apply a coat of dewaxed shellac, sand lightly, and then apply
some polyurethane. The shellac intercoat will help with adhesion as will
the light sanding,

Good Luck