Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Circular saw followup

I wasn't really impressed with most of what I saw at the home centers. Karl, I
couldn't find the Makita 5007NB you recommended; the closest thing I saw was a
5007MG (apparently the same thing with a magnesium base), and I almost bought
it. Looking at the "Made in China" label made me decide to keep looking.

I was tempted by the electric brake on the DeWalt 369, but that, too, is made
in China.

Leon, your comments about left-blade saws being originally intended for leftys
made a lot of sense -- more sense than the advertising hype about "direct line
of sight". I agree with you, that it's better to watch the guide marks on the
shoe than the blade itself. "Direct line of sight" also means "direct line of
flying debris".

Finally settled on a Bosch CS10, which I think Keith suggested, from a
locally-owned tool distributor -- made in the U.S.A., too.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this. Now to go cut some wood!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/11 2:16 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Finally settled on a Bosch CS10, which I think Keith suggested, from a
locally-owned tool distributor -- made in the U.S.A., too.

Awesome... a German tool, made in the USA! :-)
Doesn't get any better than that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/5/11 2:16 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Finally settled on a Bosch CS10, which I think Keith suggested, from a
locally-owned tool distributor -- made in the U.S.A., too.

Awesome... a German tool, made in the USA! :-)
Doesn't get any better than that.

Lexus
Mercedes
BMW
Subaru

LOTS of really good **** made in the USA.

As an aside and maybe of interest:
I took my daughter's Mazda, my Subaru and the Business/family Safari in
for RustProtection/oiling whateverthehellit'scalled. A friend of mine
owns a Krown outfit so scheduling wasn't a problem. I drove them in, one
by one over 3 days, and took a seat in the air conditioned office and
read some magazines. Now, these guys have barcode scanners that give
then ideal location points for the injections and that is where they
drill.
The Safari whoop whoop, airdrill..whoop whoop and all holes were drilled
in a few minutes. Same thing with the Mazda.
Then the Subaru's turn..whoo..JHFC..whoo..G*DDMNNN whooFARK.. this went
on for 10 minutes.... I asked him "whasssamadda, Jake?"
Answer: "It's one of them #$%^&*@#$%^&* Japanese Subaru bodies....."

And I sooooo love to smirk....

Shane, a long time employee of the Volvo/Subaru dealership, took an
Impreza up north and was confronted by a stunned deer and did a very
hard turn/braking action which put him on his roof ofter glancing of a
shale wall just to get T-boned by a pick-up coming from the other
direction. He hurt his neck when he unbuckled his seatbelt and crashed
into the roof. The door opened. He called Glen, the owner of the
dealership and asked for a lot, separately from the big Volvo lot, so he
could sell nothing but Soobies.

Ugly yes. Tough as motherfarking nails....yup.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2011 2:16 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

One more thing to watch out for Doug, your comment about the magnesium
base reminded me, many of these saws are down right heavy and IIRC the
Makita, which I have the most experience using other than my Festool and
a cheapo B&D I use for fence building, is a heavy saw, IMHO. The
magnesium base might be a plus on any saw. Pick those suckers up and
swing them around before you buy.

OH! you bought the Bosch....never mind...... Enjoy the saw!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2011 4:04 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Answer: "It's one of them #$%^&*@#$%^&* Japanese Subaru bodies....."

And I sooooo love to smirk....

Shane, a long time employee of the Volvo/Subaru dealership, took an
Impreza up north and was confronted by a stunned deer and did a very
hard turn/braking action which put him on his roof ofter glancing of a
shale wall just to get T-boned by a pick-up coming from the other
direction. He hurt his neck when he unbuckled his seatbelt and crashed
into the roof. The door opened. He called Glen, the owner of the
dealership and asked for a lot, separately from the big Volvo lot, so he
could sell nothing but Soobies.

Ugly yes. Tough as motherfarking nails....yup.

And why I bought my youngest daughter a Forrester way back when.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:

On 8/5/2011 4:04 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Answer: "It's one of them #$%^&*@#$%^&* Japanese Subaru bodies....."

And I sooooo love to smirk....

Shane, a long time employee of the Volvo/Subaru dealership, took an
Impreza up north and was confronted by a stunned deer and did a very
hard turn/braking action which put him on his roof ofter glancing of a
shale wall just to get T-boned by a pick-up coming from the other
direction. He hurt his neck when he unbuckled his seatbelt and crashed
into the roof. The door opened. He called Glen, the owner of the
dealership and asked for a lot, separately from the big Volvo lot, so he
could sell nothing but Soobies.

Ugly yes. Tough as motherfarking nails....yup.

And why I bought my youngest daughter a Forrester way back when.

Good choice indeed.

When Emily wants to take a burn out-of-town, I toss her my keys....
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:

On 8/5/2011 4:04 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Answer: "It's one of them #$%^&*@#$%^&* Japanese Subaru bodies....."

And I sooooo love to smirk....

Shane, a long time employee of the Volvo/Subaru dealership, took an
Impreza up north and was confronted by a stunned deer and did a very
hard turn/braking action which put him on his roof ofter glancing of a
shale wall just to get T-boned by a pick-up coming from the other
direction. He hurt his neck when he unbuckled his seatbelt and crashed
into the roof. The door opened. He called Glen, the owner of the
dealership and asked for a lot, separately from the big Volvo lot, so he
could sell nothing but Soobies.

Ugly yes. Tough as motherfarking nails....yup.

And why I bought my youngest daughter a Forrester way back when.

Angela loves those new-fangled Forresters. Last one we looked at was
available with a real motor, and leather, and sunroofishness... and a
big chunk-o-cash.

Something that starts at mid-20's goes to the best end of 40 real quick.