Maxprop

Default Followup on zircote

FWIW:

I turned a shallow bowl and a smaller diameter, deeper bowl from the stock I
had. Both items are beautiful--the grain patterns are unlike any other wood
I've seen--and took a walnut oil finish well. But while turning the room
filled with the finest cloud of persistent dust I've ever seen. It took
almost an hour to clear after I left the room. Even with a respirator mask
I still could smell the wood, telling me that some of the tiniest suspended
particles got through the mask. Even though I was unable to find any
references to toxicity, I doubt if I'd turn zircote again without some sort
of whole-room air filtration system in operation.

Any recommendations/experience on/with filter systems?

Max

Ken Moon

"Maxprop" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

===============================
Max,
I've had good results using a pleated paper filter on the input side of a
window fan set directly behind the lathe. I use a 20 X 20 inch filter on the
back side of a Lasko 20 inch window fan ($11.00 @ Walmart, filters from
about $2.00 and up depending on quantity and quality, with electrostatic
washable filters at the top of the heap). I usually run mine on the Medium
setting (3 speed), which allows good flow, but not over heating the motor.
Grainger has a similar fan in their catalog that flows 2100, 3200, and 4300
CFM when unrestricted.

When it loads up, I take it outside and tap it to break the accumulation
off, or clean it out with the shop vac using "blow" mode. To extend the
life even more, tape or bungee one of the fiberglass filters on the input
side of the paper filter to catch the larger particles and allow the paper
unit to work on the smaller stuff. It may not be the ultimate dust
extractor, but for $20.00, it's too cheap not to use. You won't believe the
difference it makes.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Maxprop

"Ken Moon" wrote in message

[...]

This is a great idea, and amazingly reasonable. I'll try it for sure. I
was looking into systems costing upwards of $150, so this is most appealing.

Thanks,
Max

Peter Teubel

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:27:16 GMT, "Maxprop" wrote:

This is a great idea, and amazingly reasonable. I'll try it for sure. I
was looking into systems costing upwards of $150, so this is most appealing.

FWIW, I have a JDS air cleaner and it will clear the air of dust within a few minutes in my shop. Really make a difference.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Maxprop

"George" george@least wrote in message

Didn't catch a reference to charcoal, but if those were in place, sounds
like you've a loose mask or old cartridges. Most organics are readily
adsorbed by _freshly_ activated charcoal.

(gulp) Actually it's brand new with nice, fresh canisters. Oh well.

Max